Door mirror adjustment

Tango

Makes sense actually I'll have to try that...what about parallel parking though, you won't be able to see the curb! :)

Mine auto dip to the right position when I put it in reverse ;)

Flash git.. :unsure: :lol:

Its a good idea though is it just lexus or do other car manufactures cars wing mirrors do it

not so sure myself

what about the motorcyclist that sits by your rear light and then pulls out, you will not see him until too late

i like to just see the rear of my vehicle so it gives me a line of sight

must admit driving in America is different with multi-lanes and wide roads so may suit them better

hang on a sec guys..........i took my test only a few years ago and that is not what was suggested to help avoid blind spots. looking over your shoulder is the "correct" method taught to learners now.

in my mr2, with my seating possition, i have the rear view obviously aligned so i can see straight out the rear, then the driver side mirror meets the point where the rear view stops, then with a slight turn of my head i can see anything that is beside and slightly back in the right lane (motorway for instance)

the left is simular, what i can see in the rear view just meets where the side mirror starts then the visability sweeps round to where the side mirror stops and a simple turn of my head i can see any cars.

doing what is suggested in that video will create mid rear blind spots. admitidy those mirrors were far too "turned in" theres no need to see the side of your car like that! but im not convinced its the best for the uk.......but informative for somone who never thought to touch the mirrors!

Of course none of this would be necessary if we still had good old-fashioned wing mirrors (not door mirrors). Having a mirror up near the front of the wing meant you had a massively greater field of vision.

Couldn't do it these days of course - the loony tree-hugging elf & safety goons say they are dangerous... Plus very few cars have a proper long front any more.

3459_7314.jpg

not so sure myself

what about the motorcyclist that sits by your rear light and then pulls out, you will not see him until too late

i like to just see the rear of my vehicle so it gives me a line of sight

must admit driving in America is different with multi-lanes and wide roads so may suit them better

It may be a bit iffy if you do not have a central rear mirror as well as the door mirrors, but I'll try it and see (no pun intended). Being an ex-biker I've never stopped doing a last check over my shoulder, so if the mirror position doesn't work there's no harm done.

Anyway have you seen the elephants ears that pass for door mirrors on the IS-F and IS250? :unsure:

Of course none of this would be necessary if we still had good old-fashioned wing mirrors (not door mirrors). Having a mirror up near the front of the wing meant you had a massively greater field of vision.

Sorry Andy, but I think your memory is letting you down. Take any plane mirror and move it nearer to and further from your eye. The closer you have it, the wider the field of view. The further away, the narrower the field of view.

Are you perhaps remembering the curved mirrors that were sometimes used to give a wider field of view? They certainly let you see more, but they played havoc with judgement of distance.

That videos all wrong over here because we have the wide angle bit of the mirror, having driven a few cars now in the US it is amazing how much of a difference it makes not having that bit.

Over there I do point the mirror out further than I do on my car here because otherwise you get a horrendous blind spot - to begin with I kept finding myself moving my head because I couldn't see anything, then just moved the mirror out :unsure:

That videos all wrong over here because we have the wide angle bit of the mirror, having driven a few cars now in the US it is amazing how much of a difference it makes not having that bit.

Over there I do point the mirror out further than I do on my car here because otherwise you get a horrendous blind spot - to begin with I kept finding myself moving my head because I couldn't see anything, then just moved the mirror out :unsure:

There's no difference between the Lexus mirrors in the States and the European models, and having lived over there throughout 2006/7 and having made regular visits before and after that time I can't say I noticed any difference with the door mirrors on any of the Hertz hire cars I've had.

I tried this yesterday and I have to say I didn't like not being able to see the sides of the car. So I have moved them in abit so I can just see it and it does allow me to see more in the mirrors now. I think seeing the car in the mirrors helps when reversing as well cos you can line it up more easily.

There's no difference between the Lexus mirrors in the States and the European models, and having lived over there throughout 2006/7 and having made regular visits before and after that time I can't say I noticed any difference with the door mirrors on any of the Hertz hire cars I've had.

Every rental car I've had (only in the states of Florida, California and Ohio) have not had that extra bit and it makes a massive difference............they've all been american cars though so either it varies by state or just that the american cars don't have it.