Will Colder Temperatures Prompt Winter Tyre Change?

BB Tyre Reviews

Many will have woken up this morning to temperatures approaching freezing point; before the morning drive in Stoke-on-Trent, the hometown of Tyres & Accessories Towers, the sudden need to root out the ice-scraper and turn the blowers up high did not go un-noted. With temperatures to continue in this vein throughout the week, will UK drivers’ thoughts extend beyond the purchase of a new can of demister and head towards the tyres, just as last year’s cold weather brought on a rush to fit more suitable rubber for the conditions?

Admittedly conditions are not even close to the spectacular snowdrifts seen last winter just yet, but as we all know by now, cold-weather tyres are designed to handle lower temperatures – such as the one degree Celsius seen on T&A’s dashboard – much better than their summer counterparts. Winter tyres yield shorter braking distances and better handling at the oft-quoted figure of 7 degrees Celsius, whether there is snow on the road or not. The subsequent outcry criticising local councils’ inability to predict the colder temperatures in 2009’s winter could equally be applied to drivers in 2010, should the current cold climate develop into a similarly cold winter, as is predicted. While last year the weather’s severity was unexpected after a decade-plus of mild winters; this year, no-one can argue they haven’t been warned.

Souce

Tyrepress

I think more people are thinking about it but only those who actually show an interest in cars from what I've been reading on other forums. The thing that puts most people off is the cost of 4 tyres, plus wheels to put them on. There is also the fact that not everyone has the storage space to keep a second set of wheels.

As I'm planning on selling my alloys and fitting cheaper ones or steel wheels to the car I am going to go for all season tyres. As I don't have the space to store a second set of wheels I think this is a better option over driving on summer tyres.

Problem for me too would just be storing the wheels - all seasons might be good but I always think of those as a tyre that are ok all the time, but never great at any time. Summer tyres are awesome in summer, fine in winter if you're sensible, and I plan to leave the car at home when it snows based on last year's escapades!

if winter tyres where a little cheaper then i would not blink an eye to get some fitted, but as of now they still cost upwards of a set of 'summer' tyres

Temperature when I got up this morning -1 degree C. A definite signal to get my winter boots on. I shall be changing them this afternoon.

if winter tyres where a little cheaper then i would not blink an eye to get some fitted, but as of now they still cost upwards of a set of 'summer' tyres

Depends on the value you put on your car, your life and being mobile in the conditions I supppose. Unfortunately winter tyres are not mandatory in this country, so the main problem is the risk from other road users that do not have them, so you still get held up in jams and bear the risk of some clown skidding into you.

Temperature when I got up this morning -1 degree C. A definite signal to get my winter boots on. I shall be changing them this afternoon.

Got the job started, beginning with the rears, but the boss is calling refreshment time and who am I to disobey?

20101021WinterTyres2.jpg

20101021WinterTyres1.jpg

Nice one sagitar, I think it's suppose to be warming up again from tomorrow though? :happystrange:

Love that garage as well, wide enough to change the wheels in? :lol:

With my sense of timing, we will probably have a heat wave now.

There is just enough room to open the doors on either side, but it's a tight squeeze for working and there is a gentle slope from the rear; good for drainage but not for jacking. I prefer to work on the level section of the drive where the car is standing.

there is a gentle slope from the rear; good for drainage but not for jacking. I prefer to work on the level section of the drive where the car is standing.

You should see the driveway I use when working on the car, 45 degree angle that is! :lol:

cheers...

I always fit my cars with tyres that easily out perform the speed / capabilities of the car, like a Y rated tyre but my car only has a 'top speed' of 145 (apparently).

If i where to fit winter tyres on that where rated to 118mph, would i be breaking any laws / rules ?

I bearly go over 80 anyway, and with it getting colder my speeds reduce too.

would it be ok to fit these rated tyres ?

cheers...

I always fit my cars with tyres that easily out perform the speed / capabilities of the car, like a Y rated tyre but my car only has a 'top speed' of 145 (apparently).

If i where to fit winter tyres on that where rated to 118mph, would i be breaking any laws / rules ?

I bearly go over 80 anyway, and with it getting colder my speeds reduce too.

would it be ok to fit these rated tyres ?

It's the load rating that really matters, not the speed rating.

I when i brought my car last year i had steel "14" rims on my car with "Vredstein all season tyres" fitted to the car,during the winter we had last year the tyres performed really well in the cold and snowy conditions...( just very noisy though )

so this year i brought some OEM "15" alloys with summer tyres on them purley for the summer months.....so i will swap back to my steel wheels soon for the cold winter months

My question is are " all season tyres" just as good as "winter tyres" ..?

What did you think of the Vred's Daz, did you feel they improved braking and traction? Were they the Quatrac 2?

I've been looking at them for the winter as if I keep the car I can use them in the summer as well, if not I'll sell them on and buy another set of steelies to sell with the car.

I when i brought my car last year i had steel "14" rims on my car with "Vredstein all season tyres" fitted to the car,during the winter we had last year the tyres performed really well in the cold and snowy conditions...( just very noisy though )

so this year i brought some OEM "15" alloys with summer tyres on them purley for the summer months.....so i will swap back to my steel wheels soon for the cold winter months

My question is are " all season tyres" just as good as "winter tyres" ..?

No..... Specific winter tyres work at a much lower temperature range and are designed to clear the tread much quicker than all season tyres.

What did you think of the Vred's Daz, did you feel they improved braking and traction? Were they the Quatrac 2?

I've been looking at them for the winter as if I keep the car I can use them in the summer as well, if not I'll sell them on and buy another set of steelies to sell with the car.

The tyres were the quatrac 2mate..and found them fairly good in the snow when driving braking etc....very noisy though but think most winter or all season tyres are like that anyway...

I think the thing that helped me in the snow the most was the fact the tyres where very skinny in width so helped cut through the snow better....( 175/65/14 )

The tyres were the quatrac 2mate..and found them fairly good in the snow when driving braking etc....very noisy though but think most winter or all season tyres are like that anyway...

I think the thing that helped me in the snow the most was the fact the tyres where very skinny in width so helped cut through the snow better....( 175/65/14 )

Cool, I'm still undecided whether to get the winter ones or Quatrac 3 (2 is discontinued now I think?) but if I get 14" rims I can fit 185 wide tyres, whereas 15" will need 195. I'm thinking the same about having skinny tyres to cut through the snow.