Broke the torque wrench!

Doing the hub nut up and one of the bits that let you change it from left to right snapped, crappy photo below!

I couldn't torque up my last wheel so had to try and guess but I need to either repair or replace this asap. It was the challenge one in argos I think £20 and has been used alot. Can you buy these bits separately to repair it? I've seen whole kits on ebay for the draper one but that's half the price of what this one is worth!

I'm tempted to get the halfords professional one - link, which torques to 300Nm and is only £10 more than their 200Nm. I'm very happy with my pro tool kit from them and comes with lifetime guarantee but would this wrench be covered by that as it has moving parts? I could probably get a draper one down the motor factors for £20-£30 or just repair mine if I can find the bit that broke on it's own.

What do you guys think?

DSCF0010.jpg

machine mart do some decent torque wrenches in varying degrees of cost from £20 to £400+

clarke stuff is reasonable quality

The £20 Clarke one on there is exactly the same as mine...could they be made by the same manufacturer?

The £400 jobbies look good, bit expensive for me though :rolleyes:

Can't make the picture out, but if it's the lever that swaps the rotation then it can't be too difficult to make something to do the job. How does it fit? A better picture might help - but if you use it a lot the probably worth getting a new one that's a bit more professional.

You buy cheap and thats what you get :rolleyes:

I didn't buy it, it was a present a few years ago. To be fair it torques up to 210Nm and the hub nut is 270Nm so I was using it for more than it was intended.

I will get a better picture of the broken part but I may get another one anyway and try and repair this for a spare.

• 1 month later...

Well I bought the Draper wrench for £18, the repair kit was £12 so seems a no brainer. I've kept the internals (what's left) of the other one as spares. I will just have to remember not to torque any hub nuts with it!

• 3 weeks later...
Thought post this up, just ordered me one of these, looks decent for the price incase anyone is after one :D

I saw that one but it looks exactly the same as the draper one I've just bought and also the challenge one that broke...I reckon these are all made in the same factory, just re-branded.