Horror of the week 24/02/10

Tony

With the power of the Internet and posts like this eventually the public will understand the misery associated with the run-flat tyre, little things like the three times the price of a conventional tyre, or the fact if punctured their scrap and that's without mentioning the poor handling....... Oh and this>

NSF

post-2-1267041471.jpg

NSR

post-2-1267041495.jpg

OSF

post-2-1267041522.jpg

OSR

post-2-1267041548.jpg

That's £1000 worth of tyres ruined.

Now i'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with BMW cars, there's not, their lovely cars and i'm not totally slating the run-flat tyre by concept but i am saying the BMW run-flat tyre and the UK roads don't go!!

All future owners need is the potholes repaired, the road crown reduced and everything will be tickety boo....... Holding of breath not recommended.

Well if that was my car i would exercise my duty on someones nose :o

Well council tax is used to repair the roads :o

Which one :(

Whichever district you pay your tax to?

I see..... Well currently i pay mine to the Chesham potholing society and their going a bloody good job, they reckon 15ft anytime soon.

Well if that was my car i would exercise my duty on someones nose :o

Well council tax is used to repair the roads ;)

Which one :huh:

Whichever district you pay your tax to?

I see..... Well currently i pay mine to the Chesham potholing society and their going a bloody good job, they reckon 15ft anytime soon.

Reminds me of a newspaper article a while ago about potholes...the town that got the biggest photo was Hemel! :o Ok not Chesham but close enough! :(

I feel sorry for anyone with runflats who doesnt realise what they have. Like you say dud after a puncture and horrible to drive on. One thing though with all the potholes, has anyone else noticed all the speed humps that seem to be popping up all over the place, perhaps use the tarmac from them to fill holes instead...??? just an idea but what do i know lol!

I feel sorry for anyone with runflats who doesnt realise what they have. Like you say dud after a puncture and horrible to drive on. One thing though with all the potholes, has anyone else noticed all the speed humps that seem to be popping up all over the place, perhaps use the tarmac from them to fill holes instead...??? just an idea but what do i know lol!

So obvious now when you put it like that ! :smile_anim: :lmaosmiley:

I hit the biggest :smile_anim: pothole ever tonight!! Luckily I was in the missus pug but I couldn't see this one, was too dark and raining...this was deep though :lmaosmiley: Will check the car in the morning to see if the tyre is still inflated but I couldn't see any damage tonight, was too dark.

This problem with run flat tyres is not just with BMW, Have a read on the Toyota forums, people are getting puntures left right and center, and cannot get the tyres replaced, because there are not many tyre fitters that supply these tyres, or they don`t have the equipment to replace them.

There is talk of huge waiting lists for run flat tyre replacement. What people have resorting to doing now because of the huge costs of replacing a run flat, is to bite the bullet and buy a brand new set of normal rims and just fit normal tyres to them, this works out cheaper in the long run. Or the other way is to cut the band from the original rim and just fit normal tyres again.

"THE RUN FLAT SCAM"

I would`nt think so. You can buy a set of aftermarket wheels and tyres ranging from £500 upwards depending what you want. Much cheaper than replacing a run flat tyre.

If for any odd reason the suspension did need tweaking, I`m sure the guys a wheels in motion coud do this for you.

Should not effect the insurance unless your rims are the expensive bling type.

If it was me I would sell the run flats A.S.A.P. and buy some normal rims and tyres.

Run flat tyre £250 normal tyre £50 its a no brainer.

Or just get someone with experience to cut the support band from the run flat rim and fit normal tyres on your origonal rim. Make sure they dont cut into the tyre pressue sensor thats mounted inside most run flat rims.