Horror of the week 24/02/10

Tony

Why buy new rims if the old ones are not cracked? Fit non run-flat tyres to the BMW OEM rims. (There is nothing to cut away). I understand that even some BMW franchised garages do it, to satisfy customer complaints.

HighlandPete

Well on the Toyota Rav 4 there is a support band fitted around the run flat rim, which needs cutting off, This support band could be because of the higher profile tyre fitted to a 4X4

I`m not sure how BMW or other manufactures run flats are assembled, But if you can get away with re-using the origonal rim then thats a Brucey bonus. :blink:

Why buy new rims if the old ones are not cracked? Fit non run-flat tyres to the BMW OEM rims. (There is nothing to cut away). I understand that even some BMW franchised garages do it, to satisfy customer complaints.

HighlandPete

Indeed they do :smile_anim:

This is what I was looking for. Seems it was just on Toyota`s???

Also do you only get a certain amount of time to edit your own posts on this forum?

The Rav run flat situation has been assessed as an absolute turd...... It's going to fail, it's failing, it's failed...... Toyota designers have been in the field doing the "**** on the shoe dance".... "left wipe, right wipe" ever since this disastrous addition to the Rav run flat series was added........ It's poo.

Does anyone know what the insurance viewpoint is regarding fitting non runflat tyres to cars that originally came with runflats? Would this have to be classified as a modification? I know of a couple of instances where the insurance hasn't paid out because the car had tyres on with incorrect speed ratings on (due to tyre centre place not fitting the correct tyres!).................

Does anyone know what the insurance viewpoint is regarding fitting non runflat tyres to cars that originally came with runflats? Would this have to be classified as a modification? I know of a couple of instances where the insurance hasn't paid out because the car had tyres on with incorrect speed ratings on (due to tyre centre place not fitting the correct tyres!).................

Obviously need to notify the insurance company. Most who have been through this have the same experience. They just want assurance the tyres are to the same/correct load and speed rating and note the change. Not normally a cost penalty either for a same size change.

HighlandPete

Obviously need to notify the insurance company. Most who have been through this have the same experience. They just want assurance the tyres are to the same/correct load and speed rating and note the change. Not normally a cost penalty either for a same size change.

HighlandPete

We would understand that from WIM and we're enthusiasts, I'm asking from a viewpoint from the average man in the street who just got some new tyres on etc.

I am hoping it won't be another excure for insurance companies not to pay out.....

We would understand that from WIM and we're enthusiasts, I'm asking from a viewpoint from the average man in the street who just got some new tyres on etc.

I am hoping it won't be another excure for insurance companies not to pay out.....

See what you mean. I'm aware that many folks are replacing a 'pair' of tyres... to non run-flats, which goes against the clear recommendations from TIC/Tyresafe and everything I've read from the tyre manufacturers. Even BMW AUC's have left the forecourt with mixed (RF/non RF) tyres. Other users don't know what they have on their cars, so I'm sure the insurance companies could have a field day in the event of accidents, where they may note a mixture of tyres, or undeclared changes.

HighlandPete

It's an interesting point actually, what would happen if you had a BMW, changed the tyres, and then had a high speed blow out that threw you off the road and totalled the car?

There would be an argument that had you been on runflats that wouldn't have happened so could they argue that they wouldn't pay out? Obviously it could never be proved but just wonder whether that would actually happen.

On a separate note, my bro had a blowout in his Z4 and now swears by his runflats, wouldn't have anything else........so the advantages can to some people outweigh the drawbacks.

On a separate note, my bro had a blowout in his Z4 and now swears by his runflats, wouldn't have anything else........so the advantages can to some people outweigh the drawbacks.

I've read a couple of these 'blow out' cases on the forums and in both instances the run-flat tyres were shreaded. Now gets me thinking was the run-flat a blessing or was it the cause? Was the tyre (or more than one) running at low pressure for quite a while (TPMS didn't therefore trigger) and contribute to a fatigued tyre, so it popped. One such account the tyre was photographed and it did look to me that the tyre was probably ruined before it blew out.

There are reports of many run-flats that only go a handful of miles, after the warning, before they disintegrate, so does again make me wonder if the pressures were low and contributed to the final failure.

No substitute for checking pressures very regularly.

HighlandPete

I've read a couple of these 'blow out' cases on the forums and in both instances the run-flat tyres were shreaded. Now gets me thinking, was the run-flat a blessing or was it the cause? Was the tyre (or more than one) running at low pressure for quite a while and (TPMS didn't trigger) contribute to a fatigued tyre, so it popped. One such account the tyre was photographed and it did look to me that the tyre was probably ruined before it blew out.

There are reports of many run-flats that only go a handful of miles, after the warning bong, before they disintegrate, so does again make me wonder if the pressures were low and contributed to the final failure.

HighlandPete

Last time I had a major blow-out at speed was on the M5 in my old MGB roadster. Alloy wheels with tubed tyres at 90 mph and a complete blowout on the offside front wheel. Apart quite a severe pull to the right, it was still very controllable, so no drama at all. However, a mate in Gloucestershire Police Traffic had the offside front blowout on one of their Volvo estates and he has the video footage from the on-board camera as it rotated several times down Armco on the central reservation at speeds in excess of 100 mph.

Guess it really comes down to whether the rubber stays on the rim or not. In my case it did. :D

There are reports of many run-flats that only go a handful of miles, after the warning bong, before they disintegrate, so does again make me wonder if the pressures were low and contributed to the final failure.

His tyres had been fine before that, and checks pressures relatively often. No idea what caused the blowout but in his opinion the runflat saved his a$$, and in some ways I probably agree due to the fact that there was zero drama.

And if you've ever seen that Fifth Gear I think when Tiff hammers around a track in a 5 series after drilling out the tyres and I think they used explosive charges too, you'll see that the runflat itself is unlikely to cause the blow out. The 50mph for 50 miles or whatever was clearly well below what the tyres can actually take.

Last time I had a major blow-out at speed was on the M5 in my old MGB roadster. Alloy wheels with tubed tyres at 90 mph and a complete blowout on the offside front wheel. Apart quite a severe pull to the right, it was still very controllable, so no drama at all. However, a mate in Gloucestershire Police Traffic had the offside front blowout on one of their Volvo estates and he has the video footage from the on-board camera as it rotated several times down Armco on the central reservation at speeds in excess of 100 mph.

Guess it really comes down to whether the rubber stays on the rim or not. In my case it did. :D

Wow that sounds like you were pretty lucky, but was the MGB RWD? Just wondering whether it was the fact that it was the non-driven wheel that made the difference as on the Volvo, it was a driven wheel that had the blow out?

• 11 months later...
With the power of the Internet and posts like this eventually the public will understand the misery associated with the run-flat tyre, little things like the three times the price of a conventional tyre, or the fact if punctured their scrap and that's without mentioning the poor handling....... Oh and this>

NSF

post-2-1267041471.jpg

NSR

post-2-1267041495.jpg

OSF

post-2-1267041522.jpg

OSR

post-2-1267041548.jpg

That's £1000 worth of tyres ruined.

Now i'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with BMW cars, there's not, their lovely cars and i'm not totally slating the run-flat tyre by concept but i am saying the BMW run-flat tyre and the UK roads don't go!!

All future owners need is the potholes repaired, the road crown reduced and everything will be tickety boo....... Holding of breath not recommended.

looks like impact fractures

I think the point is that with the RFt's having stiff side walls to support the tyre, there is no 'give' that you get in a normal tyre to absorb the shock of the impact. Therefore the complete force is transferred directly to the rim, without the cushoning effect of a normal tyre compressing the sidewall.

The rim is failing because it cannot take that level of shock over time. It's execerbated by the inside of the rim being unsupported, i.e. no spokes supporting the edge of the rim to the hub, therefore the inner part of the rim is flexing, (Imagine the bottom of the rim going flat on a bump) this weakens/work hardens the rim and will eventually lead to failure.

RFT's are a good idea in theory, although it is not the answer in itself, but needs to be looked at to include, the rim and suspension.

h

RFT's are the biggest step backwards by the tyre industry ever in my opinion.

On the negative side of the fence we have........

1: Harsh ride

2: Tram-lining

3: Noisy

4: Low mileage

5: Expensive

6: Unrepairable

7: Poor grip

8: Zero feedback at saturation limit

On the plus side of the fence we have.....

1: Able to run on flat

• 1 month later...
RFT's are the biggest step backwards by the tyre industry ever in my opinion.

On the negative side of the fence we have........

1: Harsh ride

2: Tram-lining

3: Noisy

4: Low mileage

5: Expensive

6: Unrepairable

7: Poor grip

8: Zero feedback at saturation limit

On the plus side of the fence we have.....

1: Able to run on flat

Can I add a 9: in the winter they're snow joke!

5 series on 'M' alloys 19's with 35 profile sat on the drive during the snow this year and the MX-5 (also with Summers) went out instead!!