Skyline Geometry?

Just thought i'd ask, My skyline has the HICAS 4 wheel steering system fitted and wondered if it causes any problems with the geometry setup of the car?

Went out in it tonight and in a straight line its and animal but feels a bit unsteady at speed, But when you corner it feels quite unstable and doesnt seem to give a nice positive turn? The car has 8.4" wide front wheels with 225/40/18 tyres, and the rear has 9.5" wide wheels and 255/35/18 tyres fitted, all 4 tyres are michelin pilot sports in good condition, what would you guys reccomend for this type of car? Does the wheel size being offset (wider on the rear than the front) cause any problems? :whistle:

Thanks for your thoughts B)

Think i've just found the problem with the steering? The NSF track rod has colapsed and the ball joint is rattling around in its socket :o How it passed its MOT the other week i'll never know? (must be a good mate of the seller? :o :mad: )

Just cant believe someone would pass it off as being safe, and its proabably the worst worn one i've seen for years and suprised the ball joint hasnt popped out ot the socket yet :angry:

So just ordered a new one to replace it and hopefully it'll feel a lot better when i corner :o

Think i've just found the problem with the steering? The NSF track rod has colapsed and the ball joint is rattling around in its socket :o How it passed its MOT the other week i'll never know? (must be a good mate of the seller? :o :o )

Just cant believe someone would pass it off as being safe, and its proabably the worst worn one i've seen for years and suprised the ball joint hasnt popped out ot the socket yet :mad:

So just ordered a new one to replace it and hopefully it'll feel a lot better when i corner :angry:

that doesnt sound good !

perhaps pop back to the MOT centre and ask them if they feel that is ok, maybe blag them into replacing it, before you report them :o

I'd go and take it over to the chap that mot'd it but he's 90 miles away :o it was only mot'd 4 weeks ago and by the look of the joint its been like it for a while, its got a ripped ball joint boot and its full of sand and dirt! the thing is with it being the track rod end and it pops out of the joint, i lose steering and could be quite messy when the wheel turns inwards at speed :angry:

Sounds like something that should be in horror of the week :o

Yeh i thought the same, the track rod ball joint thats gone i can move side to side by a good 5mm all round, and think the only thing holding it in place is whats left of the rubber boot on the joint :angry:

Just got to wait for the part now so i can get it off asap? :mad:

Sounds like something that should be in horror of the week :mad:

and think the only thing holding it in place is whats left of the rubber boot on the joint :o

I had the same with a drop link I replace, undid one bolt and before I had the chance to undo the other the ball joint just fell out! Obviously not as dangerous as a TRE but the fact it had been left to get that bad was shocking :angry: It cured the knocking noise I was getting!!

You (at least could) complain to the VOSA if you think your car failed an mot and should have passed but also if you think the car should have failed but passed an mot.

They will test it themselves at a garage and invite the moting garage along to watch. There are times that you must do this in however, and you cannot fix the vehicle if you want them to do this. Your car will also be unroadworthy if they find its failed so you'd have to be careful about how you transport it home to get it fixed. They also wont get you any money back from the garage but should write a report that you can use against who sold it/ mot'd it to get recompense yourself.

Just fitted a new one so all should be good now, will just need to get the geo checked, if i grabbed the wheel at a quarter to 3 position i could move the wheel back and too about an inch eachway, so when under pressure of driving it probably would of had a lot more movement? :angry:

Feels a whole lot better now though and now feels like it goes round corners :o

Just thought i'd ask, My skyline has the HICAS 4 wheel steering system fitted and wondered if it causes any problems with the geometry setup of the car?

Went out in it tonight and in a straight line its and animal but feels a bit unsteady at speed, But when you corner it feels quite unstable and doesnt seem to give a nice positive turn? The car has 8.4" wide front wheels with 225/40/18 tyres, and the rear has 9.5" wide wheels and 255/35/18 tyres fitted, all 4 tyres are michelin pilot sports in good condition, what would you guys reccomend for this type of car? Does the wheel size being offset (wider on the rear than the front) cause any problems? :angry:

Thanks for your thoughts :o

In answer to your questions

* No problem for us doing a Geo but there is a particular method for the HICAS

* Staggered wheels are common on high end marques

* See how you get on with the Michelin's, failing them i see quite a few SL on Toyo

Went out in it tonight and in a straight line its and animal but feels a bit unsteady at speed, But when you corner it feels quite unstable and doesnt seem to give a nice positive turn? The car has 8.4" wide front wheels with 225/40/18 tyres, and the rear has 9.5" wide wheels and 255/35/18 tyres fitted, all 4 tyres are michelin pilot sports in good condition, what would you guys reccomend for this type of car? Does the wheel size being offset (wider on the rear than the front) cause any problems? :smile_anim:

Thanks for your thoughts :lol:

In answer to your questions

* No problem for us doing a Geo but there is a particular method for the HICAS

* Staggered wheels are common on high end marques

* See how you get on with the Michelin's, failing them i see quite a few SL on Toyo

Thanks for that Tony :)