Japfest 2009

Rich

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You guys have really thrown a spanner in the works now. The 200 is for sale as we speak. I am getting an MX5...... :ph34r_anim:

Yay...... Welcome to the MX5 community, tell you what mate you will not regret it!!.... As you know i work on all manner of chassis and the 5 in my opinion is the best :smile_anim:

You guys have really thrown a spanner in the works now. The 200 is for sale as we speak. I am getting an MX5...... :ph34r_anim:

Yay...... Welcome to the MX5 community, tell you what mate you will not regret it!!.... As you know i work on all manner of chassis and the 5 in my opinion is the best :smile_anim:

I am quite stunned how strongly i feel on the subject if i am honest... but the heart never lies and that drive was stunning... i'm in :huh:

I'll be over to you with it as soon as i get it

I am quite stunned how strongly i feel on the subject if i am honest... but the heart never lies and that drive was stunning... i'm in :huh:

I'll be over to you with it as soon as i get it

Once driven forever smitten....... We have several set-ups for the 5 depending on the body height. Even with stock height and our fast-road calibration we can have all four tyres screaming and they still won't let go..... amazing chassis!!

Steve-O,

I'm was there when you came back in. from the drive.

Couple of things. Early 1.6's had what is known as a short nose crank, identifiable as the crank pulley has 4 holes in it. There is a weakness there with the woodruff key, if it's taken off and not put on back correctly then you can have problems. Later 1.6's were redesigned to overcome that problem. 1.8's never had this problem. (Only known weakness.)

Can't remember the exact details but some of the UK 1.6's were depowered to increase the difference between the 1.8 and 1.6. I think is 96 hp against 119 or something like that. Imported 5's usually have less rust and tend to come better spec'd than UK cars of the same age.

MX5 clubs. There is a branch of the MX5 Owners Club in Hemel, cannot remember where or when they meet but can find out for you if you want. The Cobham Commoners, also known as Planet MX5 meets on the last tuesday of the month, normally 20 + 5's in attendance. Check out www.planetmx5.com. (Some of us are off to Le Mans to drive the course next week.) The Hornet, the second 5 on the WIM/GAZ stand is run by Planet Motorsports, the motorsports arm of Planet.

Welcome to the wonderful world of 5's.

I'm in North London, if you need any help or advice, pm me here or on Planetmx5.com (hs on the forum). I have a supercharged 1.8 NA (Mk1) Absolutely Shocks suspension with a WIM fast road/Track alignment.

h (Howard)

Steve-O,

I'm was there when you came back in. from the drive.

Couple of things. Early 1.6's had what is known as a short nose crank, identifiable as the crank pulley has 4 holes in it. There is a weakness there with the woodruff key, if it's taken off and not put on back correctly then you can have problems. Later 1.6's were redesigned to overcome that problem. 1.8's never had this problem. (Only known weakness.)

Can't remember the exact details but some of the UK 1.6's were depowered to increase the difference between the 1.8 and 1.6. I think is 96 hp against 119 or something like that. Imported 5's usually have less rust and tend to come better spec'd than UK cars of the same age.

MX5 clubs. There is a branch of the MX5 Owners Club in Hemel, cannot remember where or when they meet but can find out for you if you want. The Cobham Commoners, also known as Planet MX5 meets on the last tuesday of the month, normally 20 + 5's in attendance. Check out www.planetmx5.com. (Some of us are off to Le Mans to drive the course next week.) The Hornet, the second 5 on the WIM/GAZ stand is run by Planet Motorsports, the motorsports arm of Planet.

Welcome to the wonderful world of 5's.

I'm in North London, if you need any help or advice, pm me here or on Planetmx5.com (hs on the forum). I have a supercharged 1.8 NA (Mk1) Absolutely Shocks suspension with a WIM fast road/Track alignment.

h (Howard)

Hi H :smile_anim: Cheers for the link ! will look into the meets once i get hold of one methinks!

This was my next step - scour the OC forums and read up on them all and find a list of common problem areas etc... i am keen on a mk1 purely for looks but if rust is an issue maybe i will have to choose carefully as i cant be doing with welding sills and that kind of caper ! The idea was this is going to be a track toy/weekend b road blaster but can stand the state of the roads round here. Not sure if the engine weight plays into the 5's and wehther the 1.6 is better balanced over the 1.8... all these things i bet are answered on the forums..<_<

no doubt there will be a load of posts coming from me shortly ! :speak_cool:

Cheers

Steve

Still cannot upload the video for some reason!

Anyway there's a copy been e-mailed to you.

h

Not got it....... can you go again :speak_cool:

e-mail turned back as the attachement was too large.

I'll burn a copy and try and get it to you at the weekend.

h

h

Not got it....... can you go again :speak_cool:

h

What about a youtube upload or something ? :smile_anim:

Steve-O,

...Can't remember the exact details but some of the UK 1.6's were depowered to increase the difference between the 1.8 and 1.6. I think is 96 hp against 119 or something like that.....

UK 1.6 on approx a P-reg with manual windows and no chassis bracing. They were indentified in the chassis number too but I forget that. Downgraded to see lesser insurance ratings apparantly. :speak_cool:

Blue bucket seat with the roof down is the Hornet. I was driving in a silver helmet.

Sorry ER, probably was me you spoke too as I seemed to spend most of the day on the stand, (I'm short, fat, grey with glasses, with a description like that, how can the girls resist!), with planet polo and jacket.

I knew you were wanting a ride from one of your earlier posts, and was waiting for you to appear. Coombe is not a great track fo a 5, long straights do not suit a low powered 5. Give it corners then it becomes a different matter. Was still fun though!

Now back to trying to upload video!

h

Not sure if it was you then as the hornet wasn't at the stand when I got there. Did you drive it home as I was waiting to cross at the lights when someone in one of the 5's shot me a 'do I know you' look, or maybe I looked flushed carrying 14 litres of oil! :smile_anim: I know the other 5 was on a trailer as I saw Mark and I assume Derek loading it up. I didn't think to come back and ask for me ride, went to watch some track action, maybe next time!

Photo's of you in the GAZ/WIM car here. Scroll down the page a bit!

http://www.planetmx5.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4287

h

Who's the guy in this link under 'One of the last men standing (or sitting)'...I think he was the one I spoke to? :speak_cool:

Just finished editing my photos from Japfest and put a slide show together Japfest 2009

Enjoy :speak_cool:

Nice one mate :smile_anim:

I am liking this one !:

_MG_0739.jpg

That's running the GAZ gold coilovers and has a wim track chassis calibration.... note how tight she sits to the apex....... roll is an issue but she only has OEM arb's.

Nice photos.... good to see you eventually took some of the cars :speak_cool: ...... The 5's looked really good on the corners, on the apex every time with excellent looking trim.

Yeah nice photos, the track action looks good as well <_>

Must've missed Marks, there's some good ones there and where was that fiesta, I never saw that! :smile_anim:

Blue bucket seat with the roof down is the Hornet. I was driving in a silver helmet.

Sorry ER, probably was me you spoke too as I seemed to spend most of the day on the stand, (I'm short, fat, grey with glasses, with a description like that, how can the girls resist!), with planet polo and jacket.

I knew you were wanting a ride from one of your earlier posts, and was waiting for you to appear. Coombe is not a great track fo a 5, long straights do not suit a low powered 5. Give it corners then it becomes a different matter. Was still fun though!

Now back to trying to upload video!

h

Not sure if it was you then as the hornet wasn't at the stand when I got there. Did you drive it home as I was waiting to cross at the lights when someone in one of the 5's shot me a 'do I know you' look, or maybe I looked flushed carrying 14 litres of oil! ;) I know the other 5 was on a trailer as I saw Mark and I assume Derek loading it up. I didn't think to come back and ask for me ride, went to watch some track action, maybe next time!

Photo's of you in the GAZ/WIM car here. Scroll down the page a bit!

http://www.planetmx5.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4287

h

Who's the guy in this link under 'One of the last men standing (or sitting)'...I think he was the one I spoke to? ;)

Last man sitting was Andrew, (Blacknbuk). I must have been out on track in the Hornet at the time.

Yep drove her home, keep the Hornet road legal to cut down the costs of a trailer and having to find someone with a car to take her to and from the track!

Next time get your priorities right and get a ride first, then you can spend the rest of the day ogleing the totty and watching the cars and wondering why do I not have a 5? :D

h

h

Not got it....... can you go again ;)

h

What about a youtube upload or something ? :D

Tried photobucket, youtube and e-mail none of which worked ;)

h

Next time get your priorities right and get a ride first, then you can spend the rest of the day ogleing the totty and watching the cars and wondering why do I not have a 5? :D

h

Good advice! ;)

What show are you at next?

Also I have a question about the hornet. I noticed on another 5 it had a roll bar (not sure of the name) behind/higher than the seats, which obviously offers protection if it rolls. How comes the hornet doesn't and what happens if the car did roll? ;)

Tried photobucket, youtube and e-mail none of which worked :D

h

What format/size is the video, it should upload to youtube even if it won't go via email?