Japfest 2009

Rich

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got a whole host of images from Mark but i'm to knackered to post them.... Tomorrow seems like a good day for some posting.

Bet Mark was knackered when he got in, I was but got there after him. Got sunburnt on me face as well -_-

Anyone know what happened with the driftworks team. I saw them when we got there around 11am but didn't see them again for some reason, couldn't even find their stand so maybe they went? :rolleyes: I did hear that they had an incident?

This year was the busiest I've ever seen it, had to queue to get in and there seems to be more stands, motors and spectators compared to the last couple of years.

Got my oil from opieoils, carried it back to the car which felt like miles away and then checked it to find a 4L bottle missing! Walked all the way back to find they had none left, but they're sending it out Monday. Seem like a sound bunch of guys though :)

Photos are coming now, wait for them to load!

Blimey nice pic's ER, i don't think i'll bother posting Marks since you seem to have covered the entire event -_- Mark did say on of the cars stuffed it, maybe that was one from DW...... Good to see the wim decal is finally finding homes :rolleyes:

Hi Guys

Top day out - another casualty from sunburn - not quite sure how that happened lol -_-

I was lucky enough to take one of your MX'5s out for a track session around lunchtime and i wasnt quite prepared to be completley blown away by how good it was, and managed to keep pace with an impreza turbo for the session and held off an integra for a bit! I am actually considering getting one now since the girlfriend has effectively given me the green light - she absolutely loved it. Its a pity the track manners of some in the public sessions was non-existent - constantly having to watch out for evos's coming up the left side of me (against the track rules) at completely the wrong time...whether thats just impatience or incompetance i dont know...Many thanks to you Tony, and of course Mark and Derek of Gaz shocks who kindly brought the car along. Marquee died a death even before things got started due to the high winds which was bad news - luckily the weather turned a bit better later in the day to save the guys getting drowned only for it to start raining again later...

I took mine out on a morning session when it was p**sing with rain - i think i stretched myself as far as i'd dare given in the conditions but in hindsight driving the mx5 has completely adjust my perception on how well my car is running (in terms of handling), which is a good thing i suppose as the session did highlight where i have comprimised the car in areas...namely stretched rubber on the front.. whether or not this was the sole reason i was getting vague frontend/huge understeer and not much grip at all at not an unreasonable entry speed... but i guess this should be a seperate discussion in the other forum area :)

Thanks again :rolleyes:

Steve

Smitten by the 5 -_- ...... One of the problems you noticed is the 200sx has a poor dynamic index (nose heavy) whereas the 5 has a perfect index.

Bang for your buck the 5 is a darling, there cheap as chips, have a fully adjustable chassis out of the box and with minimal costing easy to mod up to whatever formula you like.

Anyway it reads like you had a good day, shame about the Marquee's but everyone was having the same problem there :rolleyes:

Smitten by the 5 :) ...... One of the problems you noticed is the 200sx has a poor dynamic index (nose heavy) whereas the 5 has a perfect index.

Bang for your buck the 5 is a darling, there cheap as chips, have a fully adjustable chassis out of the box and with minimal costing easy to mod up to whatever formula you like.

Anyway it reads like you had a good day, shame about the Marquee's but everyone was having the same problem there :rolleyes:

Oh yes... you might just see me in a mx5 turn up soon for some choice upgrades and alignment :) real eye opener. Didnt think such a small car could have a big impact on me:D

you should come along next year its a good day -_-

Blimey nice pic's ER, i don't think i'll bother posting Marks since you seem to have covered the entire event :) Mark did say on of the cars stuffed it, maybe that was one from DW...... Good to see the wim decal is finally finding homes :rolleyes:

There's loads I didn't take photos of though but TBH once you've taken a photo of a scooby, evo etc you've seen them all, unless it's highly modded.

It was a DW motor, stuffed it into the wall, which must've been when I saw them when we got there but the crash happened the other side of the track to where we were. Found a video, the passenger took quite a whack :)

Please wait a few moments for Video to Load!

Top day out - another casualty from sunburn - not quite sure how that happened lol :)

The missus told me to put suncream on but I wouldn't listen, it was cloudy most of the day so thought I'd be ok but maybe next time I will!! Look like a tomato now and for some reason didn't catch it around me eyes (no I wasn't wearing sunglasses) so I have panda eyes to compliment the look! -_-

I was lucky enough to take one of your MX'5s out for a track session around lunchtime and i wasnt quite prepared to be completley blown away by how good it was, and managed to keep pace with an impreza turbo for the session and held off an integra for a bit! I am actually considering getting one now since the girlfriend has effectively given me the green light - she absolutely loved it. Its a pity the track manners of some in the public sessions was non-existent - constantly having to watch out for evos's coming up the left side of me (against the track rules) at completely the wrong time...whether thats just impatience or incompetance i dont know...Many thanks to you Tony, and of course Mark and Derek of Gaz shocks who kindly brought the car along. Marquee died a death even before things got started due to the high winds which was bad news - luckily the weather turned a bit better later in the day to save the guys getting drowned only for it to start raining again later...

Mark said someone took the 5 out and was really impressed...think I need to take a ride in one of these see what all the fuss is about! :D

Here's me video, can you spot the 5's -_-

Please wait a few moments for Video to Load!

You got to do it - its awesome. The track is the best place to explore the limits and see how chuckable it is :)

So who's volunteering their motor? :rolleyes:

Don't Diz the 5's, they were peddling as fast as they could :smile_anim:

CIH the Drifty's will be at JAE as will wim, we may even have a surprise up our sleeve :ph34r_anim:

Anyway just to p*ss of the dialer's, here's some more pic's that Mark took.

This rear engined Fiesta has a habit of snapping derive shafts :huh:

post-2-1242581587.jpg

post-2-1242581606.jpg

But mainly when he hits this

post-2-1242581638.jpg

Some more images :)

post-2-1242581728.jpg

post-2-1242581764.jpg

post-2-1242581814.jpg

post-2-1242581877.jpg

post-2-1242581930.jpg

Nice display from the MR2oc

post-2-1242582176.jpg

And the MX5oc

post-2-1242582220.jpg

Seemingly there was plenty of eye candy

post-2-1242582293.jpg

Nice headlights, boot and bonnet :wub:

Glad to see we had another convert to the 5's. I think the passenger in the drift car was nickd? of Mazda on Track. He seemed to be well shaken up after, hardly surprising as he seems to break the side window with his helmet!

I took the Hornet out for a couple of sessions, first one with a passenger. First time on track at Combe, and first time with such a horsepower disparity in the cars on the track.

First time was getting to know the track layout and get used to cars that were far faster than the Hornet. Took it fairly cautiously.

Second session I was out on my own, Derek from GAZ wanted to follow me around and watch how the Hornet handled. Anyway Derek dissappeared but the second outing was a lot better, less missed changes, (and missed corners) due to watching the mirrors for the overtakers on either side! More confidence as I had a feeling for the track and lines. Still had to keep off line for the faster cars, which didn't make for quick laps. (Quick is relative by the way!)

Anyway, good fun, enjoyable day, thanks to Tony, Derek and Mark.

h

ps will post some in car vid up once I can upload it.

So that was you driving the 5 I was videoing...one with the blue bucket seat?

Was it you I spoke to on the gaz stand when I was asking after Mark...I was wearing a white hoodie?

Blue bucket seat with the roof down is the Hornet. I was driving in a silver helmet.

Sorry ER, probably was me you spoke too as I seemed to spend most of the day on the stand, (I'm short, fat, grey with glasses, with a description like that, how can the girls resist!), with planet polo and jacket.

I knew you were wanting a ride from one of your earlier posts, and was waiting for you to appear. Coombe is not a great track fo a 5, long straights do not suit a low powered 5. Give it corners then it becomes a different matter. Was still fun though!

Now back to trying to upload video!

h