Japfest 2009

Rich

Apparently the windscreen frame is designed to withstand a rollover...... reads a bit ambitious to me but there you have it.

Don't rely just on plan A though, always best to have a backup!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apparently the windscreen frame is designed to withstand a rollover...... reads a bit ambitious to me but there you have it.

Don't rely just on plan A though, always best to have a backup!

Indeed.... I wouldn't expect the windscreen wiper to be a crumple zone :D

I did and it didn't........ :D

Will now! :D

Well there you go then, apparently there "may" have been some hair trauma during the rollover and the car "settling" on the occupant "may" be viewed as a negative but i feel all-in-all the windscreen did very well.

Well there you go then, apparently there "may" have been some hair trauma during the rollover and the car "settling" on the occupant "may" be viewed as a negative but i feel all-in-all the windscreen did very well.

If you look closely you can see the dummy get flung upwards past the windscreen and their head hit the tarmac. If you weren't on a track wearing a helmet and this happened on the road I doubt they would've survived even if it didn't break.

If you look closely you can see the dummy get flung upwards past the windscreen and their head hit the tarmac. If you weren't on a track wearing a helmet and this happened on the road I doubt they would've survived even if it didn't break.

Agreed it looks bad..... A roll cage seems a wise move given the evidence.

Roll bar is the next in line.

Hord Dog from the US are in effect not available due to the exchange rates, no one's importing them! Jap one's come up occassionally, but they won't work with a glass rear screen. There is a company called TJ Lane who has started making roll bars for the 5, just waiting for them to finalise the method of fitment and confirm they will work with a glass screen

The windscreen is buitl to withstand one and a half times the weight of the car on it. Not really useful as in a roll the car does not get carefully placed rubber side up!

The drivers seat is also too high. It was fitted onto the normal seat runners as we need the seat to be adjustable due to the varying size of the Hornets owners. Now sitting higher than the normal seat!

It's still work in progress, but in the meantime still having lots of fun!

h

The drivers seat is also too high. It was fitted onto the normal seat runners as we need the seat to be adjustable due to the varying size of the Hornets owners. Now sitting higher than the normal seat!

I thought your head came above the windscreen when I was watching you on the track, that's what got me thinking about what happens if these cars roll.

I thought your head came above the windscreen when I was watching you on the track, that's what got me thinking about what happens if these cars roll.

In truth the cars lower than grandma's nipples, it would take a major error to make the car roll.

I remember the first time we took Hornet out to Woodbridge, on the first lap, and before we were out, a car rolled!

One of the chicanes was formed where two parts of the runway met, this car went off the track into the corner of the junction of the tarmac, wheel dug in and game over!.

Driver wasn't too concerned, he just used his R8 for the rest of the day!

Out in the Hornet I do push the car once I know the track, but make sure there's plenty of run off!

I Don't think the Hornet is that low, it's the right height with the wishbones parallel to the ground. (As set up by Tony.) Have no real problem with sleeping Policemen, I'm sure Lexie started lower, grounding everytime I ran over a matchstick!

h

Thanks for the comments guys.

Didn't hit most of the turn in points/apex's though due to being off line due the the faster stuff. See how much time I spend looking in the mirrors watching what's behind me!

Camera position wasn't great, I forgot part of the mounting kit that would have raised the camera slightly. If the camera is too high though all you'll see is the rearview mirror!

h

Thanks for the comments guys.

Didn't hit most of the turn in points/apex's though due to being off line due the the faster stuff. See how much time I spend looking in the mirrors watching what's behind me!

Camera position wasn't great, I forgot part of the mounting kit that would have raised the camera slightly. If the camera is too high though all you'll see is the rearview mirror!

h

Nice video! - i did notice you were checking your mirrors a lot - but thats good thing - the rate at which some of those other motors were going round was impressive. One minute you are ok the next you have a train of cars up your arse. The civic that overtook you sounded like a banshee - quite impressive :lol: