Horror of the week 22/12/08

Tony

This rear disc on a Merc Sprinter van was worn so thin it snapped.....

post-2-1229976949.jpg

You can see where the base of the disc has ground a tapper

post-2-1229977036.jpg

Here we have the new and old disc together

post-2-1229977121.jpg

Can you imagine the noise and sparks from this total disregard for maintenance :D

One of my cars was a Fiesta Turbo, I was driving it one day and braking at a roundabout and it made a horrible noise ( grinding ) and bad vibrations. I was literally 200 metres from a Ford dealer. Called in and asked them to look at the brakes. One look though the heels andhe said you need new discs and pads on the front. There had been no previous problems and the warning light had not come on. Less than 2 years old and less than 18k miles. Well the mechanic hit the one disc to remove it and it shattered ..... it was that thin.

I guess I should have maybe kept them checked myself but this was totally without warning and had been serviced. I do check discs regularly now though myself ..........

One of my cars was a Fiesta Turbo, I was driving it one day and braking at a roundabout and it made a horrible noise ( grinding ) and bad vibrations. I was literally 200 metres from a Ford dealer. Called in and asked them to look at the brakes. One look though the heels andhe said you need new discs and pads on the front. There had been no previous problems and the warning light had not come on. Less than 2 years old and less than 18k miles. Well the mechanic hit the one disc to remove it and it shattered ..... it was that thin.

I guess I should have maybe kept them checked myself but this was totally without warning and had been serviced. I do check discs regularly now though myself ..........

Was there a problem with the caliper?

I was at WIM when this was being sorted out.....to say i was shocked is an understatment.... :( just to think that 2ton of lorry doing 60mph trying to stop on those brakes.....is well......unthinkable..... :o :o Saved a life IMHO....

No it was just bad wear caused IIRC by needing to stop a very fast car :(

The reason i say that was because you had no warning on the dash.... normally this means only one side had worn down without the sensor wire.

I doubt Festa Turbos had wear sensors. :o

Still, 18k isn't much at all for a set of discs.

No it was just bad wear caused IIRC by needing to stop a very fast car :o

The reason i say that was because you had no warning on the dash.... normally this means only one side had worn down without the sensor wire.

I doubt Festa Turbos had wear sensors. :o

Still, 18k isn't much at all for a set of discs.

True it should be from the reservoir unless some idiot's topped it up :(