CIH's S12 Silvia

CIH

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've seen it on the odd occasion on customer cars. Turns fine but minimal impact on the actual position. I always figured some kind of wear was responsable. Maybe the local bushings ? Or, in my case, a bent trailing arm ?

Yeah but the adjuster doesn't know the arm is bent so the range would be the same..... It might be worth removing the adjuster bolt to see if that's bent?

Put the N/S/F wheel on the rear to see if the pull changed. Not really is the answer. Also, my car is bloody horribe in a crosswind, albeit strong and in the rain. Felt like the backend was on ice, just waiting to break-away. :D

I would have gone side-to-side on the front rather than front-to-rear.

Has the rear got an anti roll bar?

Declared SORN over Febuary so probabyl won't have much to add.

Do we think the loose rear end could be a result of removing the rear spoiler btw ?

edit: oh and I've decided to leave experimenting with the S12 untill I 'm happy with the way it's behaving. Ever since that ikkle spin it's just not been right. Maybe I should get the WIMers to give it the once over ?

Declared SORN over Febuary so probabyl won't have much to add.

Do we think the loose rear end could be a result of removing the rear spoiler btw ?

That's a shame B) will you be picking this up again anytime this year?

As for the spoiler no... It's the wrong direction, lift off oversteer and associated complaints would come from that.

uh, okay boss :lol:

Rotating the front wheels appears to have essentially killed the left pull, incidentally. But it seems my steering wheel isn't set straight

What does the change in the pull and steering position tell you?

I don't know. Somekind of inbalance in rolling resistance ?

Wheel position can show a change in geometry but that isn't the case here is it ?

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ind...p?showtopic=165 this condition can also be evolved by the conditioning the tyres subjected to by placement... meaning the tyre will adopt a particular profile at the rear and this profile will not suit the front.... It's for this reason i avidly disagree moving the rear tyres to the front in order to control oversteer when new tyres are fitted.... "shall we check the balance first sir"!.

By swapping front wheels left to right shouldn't tne pull have migrated to the right too ?

Look outside of the box... what condition is the chassis compared to the tyres "memory" condition?... understand the possibilities, and analise them when things don't ring true, our realm is not law but our lateral thinking is (for us) never be surprised when thing don't work and relish the fact when they do.

It's a long learning curve called "chassis dynamics" that spiders down to a tiny little place called the contact patch.

Meh, I hate it when unexpected things happen (either good or bad, but more so bad obv.) :lol:

"It's a long learning curve called "chassis dynamics" that spiders down to a tiny little place called the contact patch."

Dude! I didn't know you were a poet ? ;)

edit: oh could the wallowy rear end simply be knackered dampners/bushings etc ?

"Poet and didn't know it" :lol: ... If you don't like surprises, change then your not the man for the job!

You have chosen a route that's not supported in a book or anyone close to you, manager/ area manager/ (other than wim) to answer your questions.

When i went for my instructorship i asked my examiner why information about chassis dynamics was so "poor" on the internet? he leaned back on his chair and said something i'm going to say to you that changed my way of thinking.

He said.... We climb a ladder of knowledge and hopefully understand the lessons learnt on each step..... it's possible, just possible that you continue taking steps and find yourself on top of the ladder looking down.

Are you climbing or looking?

• 3 weeks later...