CIH

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Quick Q Mr Bones; Which do you think is more feasable ? Getting coilovers with modified/bespoke topmounts or redrilling the chassis strut tower to accept a different top mount "PCD" ?

Reason I ask is Silvia's front suspension & brakes are going to be S14 200SX/Silvia based and the top mount locating studs are to a slightly different pattern.

It has to be coilovers as OEM struts are too wide to fit the S12 tower, btw.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Okay time to show my build list. First off I'll be using Nissan model codes. My Silvia (nee 200SX, nee Gazelle) is an S12 but I'll be refering to;

nissan_200sx_2.jpg

S13 200SX/180SX

200SX_03_Small.jpg

S14 200SX/Silvia

and

2487z31.jpg

Z31 300ZX/Fairlady Z

So here's my shopping/wish list. All items are either Nissan-group parts-bin upgrades or their fast road/track day equivilant. Items in red I've already got.

Front Chassis

1. S14/S13 LCA /Wishbone £40-ish pair (used)
  2. S14 Lower Ball Joint £45.00 x2
  3. S14 5-stud Hub and Carrier - £80-ish pair (used)
  4. S14 Adj. Tension Rods £119.00 pair
  5. S14 Tension Rod Brackets - £50ish (used)
  6. S14 Inner Steering Arms & Rod Ends £119.00 pair
  7. S14 Adj. ARB & Drop Link Kit £120ish
  8. S14 Lower Strut Brace £45.00
  9. S14 Upper Strut Brace £100 ?
  10. S14 LCA/Wishbone Poly Bush Kit £40 pair

Front Brakes

1. S14 4-pot Calipers £50-ish used
  2. Caliper Refurb kit £15 x2
  3. Caliper Pistons £14.41 each - up to 8 required, usually one or two per caliper.
  4. S14 Brake Disc Pair £100
  5. S14 Fast Road Brake Pads £100

Rear Chassis

1. Z31 Semi-Trailing Arms £60 pair (allows for vented rear brakes and is 5-stud). Pictured above in a nearlier post
  2. Z31/S12 Adj. ARB and Drop Link Kit ??
  3. Z31/S12 Eccentric Geometry Bolts x4 £20 each
  4. Spare Z31 X-Member £35
  5. X-Member to Body Mount Poly Bush Kit £40+VAT
  6. Semi Trailing Arm to X-Member Poly Bush Kit £20+VAT

Rear Brakes

1. Z31 Calipers & Carrier Brackets - £60ish used
  2. Z31 Caliper Refurb Kit £16.03 each x2
  3. Z31 Caliper Piston £19.00 each - up to 2 required
  4. Z31 Handbrake Cable £60 each - Might not need these, depends how lucky I am
  5. Z31 Disks £67.00 + VAT EACH!! AIIEEEEEE!
  6. Z31 Brake Pads (Fast Road) £30.75+VAT

S12 Coilover Kit. Front S14/13 hubs and LCAs conversion parts, as listed above, required. Which is a bit cheeky as it won't fit a stock S12 and they don't tell anyone that but I'd want them anyway to uprate the brakes and match the rear. £700

5x114 wheel-stud pattern 15" or 16" Wheels incl. spare ??

-Probably get a factory S14 space-saver spare for about £50 I should think

205/50 V15 Tyres x 4 (prefer 15s though they're strictly a little smaller than should be, 205/50 16 would match OEM) £70 each ?

All the used parts need rerubishment and the Z31 X-Member needs modifying to allow both camber and toe adjustment too.

ps: oh and I've been dicking about with US Spec sidelights & rear light clusters and I've got a spare tailgate to clean-up, respray etc and a Mk1 non-power bulge bonnet that'll want either an 80s-style scoop or vents/lourves & respray.

• 1 month later...

Took a look at my front S14 4-pot calipers and found all but one or two of the pistons were knackered. At £25 per piston it wasn't worth refurbing them so they went in the bin and I've just orderd some Z32 300zx TT alloy calipers (same size but about a third of the weight).

They also may have sized pistons but they're worth putting the money into.

FYI Z32 300ZX/Fairlady TwinTurbo is this;

0202_sccp_03_z%201990_nissan_300zx%20rear_view.jpg

• 1 month later...

Z32 calipers were spot on so I just removed the layer of DIY'd red paint that was on them ready for a coat of black.

Also took a 2 day roadtrip oop north to visit friends/family, checkup on my Silvia and bring some parts back to keep the "project" alive. Reconnected the battery, un-sabotaged the fuel relay and it started first turn, after a year of sitting doing nowt. Eat your heart out mr lotus man hah ha!

Anway back o/t, started prepping my suspension arms for refurb including taking out the old bushes & bush shells;

SCREWYOUSLEEVE.jpg

Took all frickin' day on-and-off, and how I hear mumblings that shells may have to be retained for the new polybushes. Sounds like nonsense, but that appears to be the case with some bushes. So I've got my american buddy on the case as they're absurdly rare Z31 300ZX arms and the bushes come from the yanks.....

• 4 months later...