Brake judder

I've posted this on LOC to get pointers too but thought Tony may have a good idea too :)

After the pads and discs were changed last week (and the geo) the brake judder I had is still there :crying_anim:

Do you know what else could be causing it? I've had the same judder when I was on 17s, now on 18s, with the old brakes and now the new brakes so I've ruled out wheel balancing and warped discs............ :rolleyes:

When you say brake judder, you mean a vibration through the pedal under braking ?

Sticking caliper maybe?

A sticking caliper could cause a pull but should have been picked up on when the pads 'n' discs were fitted.

I'm thinking an ABS fault ?

but it does it under braking ?

Yes under braking

Daz33 had the same problem time and time again and the reason turned out to be the drive flange that the disc mounts to.

He had hit something some time back and the flange was very slightly buckled hence the ongoing issues with the vibration?

yeah ya not wrong Tony.. :angry: was driving me nuts and was begining to think it was me until Tony B drove her......trouble is it made it worse the more i drove her because of the heat that was generated between the flange/hub and the brake disc...could feel it through the wheel and the brake pedal......all ok now though . :D .....through a lot of hard work and thought processing between everyone at WIM..... :D

I am now happy with her....( the car that is ) .... :angry:

Hmmm, this may be a possibility then. Don't have a lot of time at the mo but will have to get that checked out at some point.

Gave the car a good drive earlier today and the behaviour is a little different now (after the geo and new brakes). Firstly there's an odd vibration on acceleration between about 40 and 60mph, not while cruising, just on acceleration.

Also the brake judder seems to be much worse when going downhill - not sure if that's relevant in any way but thought I'd mention it in case it is.

Hmmm, this may be a possibility then. Don't have a lot of time at the mo but will have to get that checked out at some point.

Gave the car a good drive earlier today and the behaviour is a little different now (after the geo and new brakes). Firstly there's an odd vibration on acceleration between about 40 and 60mph, not while cruising, just on acceleration.

Also the brake judder seems to be much worse when going downhill - not sure if that's relevant in any way but thought I'd mention it in case it is.

Do you get any judder/vibration when engine braking i.e. slowing with the gearbox without applying the brakes?

Braking down hill is "steady state braking" so there is relevance there..... i don't have a clue why you have vibration on acceleration though?

Well the reason I asked the question on engine braking was the possibility of the propshaft linkage, perhaps the universal joints are worn. That could also explain the vibration on acceleration too, but hey what do I know.

Do you get any judder/vibration when engine braking i.e. slowing with the gearbox without applying the brakes?

Nope there's nothing on engine braking, just when on the brake pedal.

Braking down hill is "steady state braking" so there is relevance there..... i don't have a clue why you have vibration on acceleration though?

Yep that's a new problem that's only just come about, so not really sure what could be causing it. I think I'll have to bring it in at some point and if it's ok ask you to have a drive and see if you can figure out what the cause is because you'll probably be a much better judge of how it feels than I am :whistle:

Could you isolate the problem on a rolling road / MOT tester? Might be wirth a try to identify whether it's front, back or in the middle :lol:

I'm not really sure, also not really sure where to take it other than Lexus, and I'm afraid to do that without knowing what the problem is as they'll most likely start replacing lots of expensive parts and it still may not fix anything :rolleyes:

Well the reason I asked the question on engine braking was the possibility of the propshaft linkage, perhaps the universal joints are worn. That could also explain the vibration on acceleration too, but hey what do I know.

Sorry, my reply came across rude, that wasn't intended.

Any MOT station can measure the disc run out in the rolling road.

Without sounding too stupid, what exactly is disc run out, and is this potentially a problem given that I'm on brand new discs?

Disc runout is confused terminology for vibration under braking, in normal circumstances the reason would be burnt pad matter on the face of the disc accelerating performance as a pulse, but in your case there's no reason to suppose pad matter is burnt onto the disc.

What we are looking at in your case is the flat hub that the disc sits against not being flat.

Any MOT station can measure the disc run out in the rolling road.

Without sounding too stupid, what exactly is disc run out, and is this potentially a problem given that I'm on brand new discs?

Disc runout is confused terminology for vibration under braking, in normal circumstances the reason would be burnt pad matter on the face of the disc accelerating performance as a pulse, but in your case there's no reason to suppose pad matter is burnt onto the disc.

What we are looking at in your case is the flat hub that the disc sits against not being flat.

Or crap between the two if it hadn't been cleaned properly, but I assume this would be a remote possibility as you had the problem before and after fitting the new discs?

• 8 months later...

Sorry to revive this old thread, but haven't used the car a lot recently and haven't had the time to get it checked out so this brake judder thing is still there and as annoying as ever (thankfully I don't do a lot of motorway driving though and that's where it's most irritating)

The car's almost due a service and I was going to get Lexus to give it a good check over and tell them not to give it back to me until they'd sorted it! However, doesn't seem like the best strategy though (especially as far as my wallet is concerned) so just wanted to run it by you again.

The vibration is definitely under braking, the one on acceleration seems to have gone so not sure what caused that. On the motorway braking at high speed is not very comfortable at all, it doesn't feel dangerous, and the steering isn't jumping around, but nevertheless the vibration is very uncomfortable.

I was actually thinking the other day that you didn't actually look at the car yourself, while I'm sure the other Tony probably did a great job I was wondering if you wouldn't mind casting your learned eyes over the report from when I had the geo done a few months ago - does anything on it look odd?

I was planning to bring it in for a finetune after the service, but might bring it in before if you'd like to take a look at the car yourself.

370232950.jpg