CIH

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes.

I only use s/a to ensure everything is correct before attempting an axle lift and then because the rig seems to take issue with it. :)

I sometimes lift the car and it says the S/A is out, i just put pressure on one wheel until the arrow goes into the green area, then the program excepts the "wheels raised" and i have live data again.

Maybe I'll try that too. When it complains, it defaults to the steering wheel positioning screen (as before a castor sweep, for example) and last time it was out a fair bit; about three quarters to the left.

Go into setup and personalise the procedure, at the moment it's taking you down the wrong route at the wrong time.

I think some of the options are disabled. Probably don't want KF fools messing around with the kit.

The Geo history database is especially uncooperative.

On the main screen you should be able to access setup the common alignment procedures..... If your current procedure is prompted by the green "button" then it's probably set to an idiot proof setting that won't like what you are doing at an advanced level.

Yup, green buttons all the way. Really annoying as we're on a "user" account so most pc options are disabled too.

I coulnd't access the print manager to check-up on the printer, for example.

I can atleast switch between thrust angle or 4-wheel alignment. Now I just need a quiet day to have a go at some shunt adjustment. Not to mention axle lifting, ofcourse.

edit: oh I nearly forgot! I've noticed if I switch between FasterCastor (default) or to include TooT in the sweep the steering ahead position changes. I don't really know why it would do that ?

Toot is a fixed angle or that's what your lead to believe. If you optimize the crossmember you will change the Toot, measuring it may be a good sales point allowing you to justify additional cost to the customer.

Bet your manager thinks Toot is what the thing in the middle of the steering wheel does :(

I've yet to see a car with any toot disparity beyond the odd minute or so.

I've long since given-up trying to educate The fools. Strange how fast-fit seems to attract people who have no desire to expand beyond what they already know/do..... ^_^

I've yet to see a car with any toot disparity beyond the odd minute or so.

I've long since given-up trying to educate The fools. Strange how fast-fit seems to attract people who have no desire to expand beyond what they already know/do..... ^_^

I had one in Sat.... BMW now needs a rack.

I use Toot as a funneling tool, if the Toot's off, next check wheelbase if that's off then it's a fair bet you can optimise the crossmember, assuming the tie rods not bent.

I really hear your frustration in fast fit, i know what it's like i was there. Stick with your methods, obviously you enjoy the topic and wait for your opportunity to come, learn more than your immediate industry needs, gather the knowledge to help your customers with authority.

I did and like me you also could have a Cinderella outcome.

Doing a Q7 today had my thinking about air suspension and dynamic gains. Or rather, lack of ?

There are little to no gains, hence the reason the Q7 has a stable Geo "suggested setting"..... we have no reason to dispute the OEM positions in this case.

Here's the E46 we discussed today:

BMW3Series-E46LT51GBFReport.jpg

Okay so camber's not exactly spot-on, is probably too deep, took bloody ages and meant doing toe 3 times but yay! a reasonably successful axle lift! Looking at the numbers, I'm surprised to see the impact on SAI and ~ IA. Who says SAI is a fixed angle huh ?

Bloody glad I asked you about the castor as my head fell off when it shifted to 3' on the O/S/F when I performed an axle lift.

But I'm not too happy about seeing camber move when the axle is lowered. Seems hit and miss to me.......

edit: I think treating the S12 to some camber bolts in the interim and praticing axle lifts would be a good idea.

That's really good work, the cambers will never be totally symmetrical using the "wheels raised option" due to the math and settling, but you have done a very good job, pat yourself on the back.

SAI= fixed.... rubbish, you can now appreciate how we can move the SR if needed despite all the text that says you cant B) .. this move is even more dramatic if the camber adjustment is at the wishbone, rather than by moving the top mount.

The current castor stagger is favorable for the UK, only odd thing is the before and after on the NSF is the same?..... the final swing should have updated/ detached the figures?...... Whatever the whole experience shows you have great understanding of your realm, you will go far.

Nah, I'm still just skimming the surface but thankyou anyway. B)

So all your colleagues, manager, area manager understand your topic and devote out of hours research just like you?...... methinks not!.

I will say this for the last time in this thread.... Few would embark on this difficult topic "chassis dynamics", you have... In a very short period of time you have grasped a good advanced understanding albeit difficult and still welcomed more.

"Your changing".

Last time i say this as well.... When i was taking my instructorship i pondered the same "guidance as you" and my tutor said something that made perfect sense.

Tony..... when you climb the ladder of knowledge it's possible, just possible you my come to the top of the ladder and look down to those still climbing the ladder..... Think about that and think about the people around you.... Where are you on that ladder?... I know you are higher than you think but your to scared to except it.

Okay I'll stop being self-defeatist lol.

What do you suppose would cause bump-steer on a standard E46 Coupe 320i ? Owner also complained of a pull when passing through standing water. It's had new lower arms due to shot bushes.

Another garage had swapped wheels front to rear but didn't appear to notice the staggered wheels though the car apparantly drove better with wheels wrong way round.

Couldn't put it on the rig as no time but nothing looked amiss and no other symptoms but TBH I didn't "feel" it would be geometry, or atleast geometry alone unless the chassis were massivly distressed.

Okay I'll stop being self-defeatist lol.

What do you suppose would cause bump-steer on a standard E46 Coupe 320i ? Owner also complained of a pull when passing through standing water. It's had new lower arms due to shot bushes.

Another garage had swapped wheels front to rear but didn't appear to notice the staggered wheels though the car apparantly drove better with wheels wrong way round.

Couldn't put it on the rig as no time but nothing looked amiss and no other symptoms but TBH I didn't "feel" it would be geometry, or atleast geometry alone unless the chassis were massivly distressed.

Reads more like a loss of traction than a pull, it's probable the toe is wrong after changing the lower arms, other than that who knows until the cars on the rig.

Yahoo! Two front end lifts in one day! I'm on fire! :D

BMW5seriesRF05FUA-report.jpg

Ok I know the rear isn't mint and I'm still getting SAI issues with weight loading :thumbsup_anim: but I was chuffed with the camber.

The Vectra we spoke about didn't see any improvement to speak of, unfortunatly.