CIH's Training Thread

CIH

Doesn't the Omega suffer from such a big camber angle ie; forward stability on the autobahns ?

In what sense.... are we talking aerodynamics?

No. I've always thought high camber angles had certain inherent problems such as instability under braking ? Or is that incorrect ?

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes it can... Really deep camber transmits huge loads on the spindle amongst other areas, keeping the castor off-set as near to the spindle as possible normally means you can have a deep camber without braking abnormalities.

Most times when the camber position is measured the concern is "will" this cause tyre wear or will this make the car pull.... Another way of looking at the camber is "how" will this position effect the roll centre and how much camber should i use?

For the domestic market this has pretty much been Math for us, but when the modified car appears's there's another catalogue of considerations to master.

roll centre ?

The main implication of the roll centre locations are that they are used to calculate diagonal weight transfer, which in turn can be used to derive suspension deflection and individual tyre loads (which in turn influence understeer/oversteer balance.

So what is it about the Omega that dicatates such deep OEM camber ? Is it the combination of soft suspension, indifferent chassis and the fact it's such a heavy old tank ?

The suspension articulation, the roll centre and the geometric gains command a deep static geometric position..... Well that's all fine until the coil's sag!.... Now the roll centre's gone so the car corners like a boat, plus the geometric gains are to pot hence the understeer and the tyre wear.

The Omega has a poor dynamic index for all the reasons above... Areas like SR, SAI, weight transfer explores the fact the Omega has a desperate geometric compensation so that the tyres saturation limits are expanded.... But not without consequence.

So what is it about the Omega that dicatates such deep OEM camber ? Is it the combination of soft suspension, indifferent chassis and the fact it's such a heavy old tank ?

The suspension articulation, the roll centre and the geometric gains command a deep static geometric position..... Well that's all fine until the coil's sag!.... Now the roll centre's gone so the car corners like a boat, plus the geometric gains are to pot hence the understeer and the tyre wear.

The Omega has a poor dynamic index for all the reasons above... Areas like SR, SAI, weight transfer explores the fact the Omega has a desperate geometric compensation so that the tyres saturation limits are expanded.... But not without consequence.

Odd plod use them/ued them don't you think ?

Can we explore how positive camber could be desireable in my Silvia ? Seems contradictory to everything I've seen.

Doesn't have to be an S12 specifically I was just curious about positive camber generally. Only other car I can think of with posi. camber were obscure early eighties Mitsi Colt Galants.....

Camber theory in wim-web> http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/tech-cambertheory.php is entirely based on positive camber in order to keep the explanation simple.

So does the car see dynamic camber gains in the same way as negative camber ?

I'll have to get it back on the hunter and see how it reacts to pitch, yaw etc. Anyway, in the meantime and keeping it hyperthetical shall we explore what you had inmind ?

1) Stock for now

2) Fast road, track possible but unlikely. Will be doing the Jap shows.

3) (Will do)

4) Neutral to mild progressive oversteer.

So does the car see dynamic camber gains in the same way as negative camber ?

I'll have to get it back on the hunter and see how it reacts to pitch, yaw etc. Anyway, in the meantime and keeping it hyperthetical shall we explore what you had inmind ?

1) Stock for now

2) Fast road, track possible but unlikely. Will be doing the Jap shows.

3) (Will do)

4) Neutral to mild progressive oversteer.

Image camber in a particular way "Articulation".... camber is a passenger of the suspension with the intention to maintain the tyres contact patch during the "articulation", our position is to decide the radii and influance the saturation levels/ grip limits.

1: How adjustable is the car?

2: Same as 1 really unless we use stupid amounts of toe.

3: Tiss a must... more so the castor during a "live sweep"

4: Over is very posible even on a FWD.

1) Toe front and rear only. And the N/S/R is damaged/worn as it makes very little difference either on or off cam.

So not much then.

Well I did say I wanted to explore "bilding in" adjustment via aftermarket parts!

Probably be a while before I have the money to do so.

The type of drive is mainly relevant to the front wheels since these are either being pulled or pushed, the idyllic position for the front dynamically is zero toe.

On a RWD (depending on suspension type) most times under acceleration the torque produced tends to pull the wheels toward the suspensions pivot points generating toe-in. This is intended since toe-out during acceleration is not something most would enjoy. Saying that though some rear toe-out on a FWD could reduce the inherent under-steer.

Outside of the oem box you should consider toe as a turning tool since it's effect on the tyres contact patch is lateral, add a snippet of weight transfer then it's quite a powerful tool.

• 2 weeks later...
eek! how much ??

Put it this way, if i am training someone in the centre they need to feel how the angles work so 30'ps is enough fore them to detect.

Try and let go a little from the margins you normally work with domestically and evolve specific handling qualities you desire. Get a feel of the oversteer and tune it down from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Off topic, I'm really getting peeved off with work at the moment. Twice today I was told not to "mess about" Once with a rear beam shunt on a Passat and again with that wee allen head bolt on a late 3 series strut top.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm wasting my time. If my secret little portfolio is full of non-adjustments it's goning to look rubbish B)

Back on, something that puzzles me somewhat is how a larger Camber angle can promote understeer on something like an MX5 but promotes traction on something like our barge Omega and thus fight understeer ?

Off topic, I'm really getting peeved off with work at the moment. Twice today I was told not to "mess about" Once with a rear beam shunt on a Passat and again with that wee allen head bolt on a late 3 series strut top.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm wasting my time. If my secret little portfolio is full of non-adjustments it's goning to look rubbish B)

Back on, something that puzzles me somewhat is how a larger Camber angle can promote understeer on something like an MX5 but promotes traction on something like our barge Omega and thus fight understeer ?

You do know that allen bolt undoes anti-clockwise?

Be patient at work, remember they don't understand what you are doing.... Maybe talk to the AM and explain you are studying chassis dynamics in your own time to better the company and gain additional (paying) adjustments from cars that don't have adjustments in these areas, this is actually "tuning the chassis".

I am a qualified instructor within the realm of chassis dynamics so i can grade you on the intuitive questions/ answers within this thread, "retroactive interaction".

As for your last question...."Polar moment of inertia"

Definition:

The resistance of an object to rotational acceleration. When the mass of an object is distributed far from its axis of rotation, the object is said to have a high polar moment of inertia. When the mass distribution is close to the axis of rotation, it has a low polar moment of inertia. A mid-engined car has most of its mass within its wheelbase, contributing to a low polar moment of inertia, which, in turn, improves cornering turn-in.

As for your last question...."Polar moment of inertia"

Definition:

The resistance of an object to rotational acceleration. When the mass of an object is distributed far from its axis of rotation, the object is said to have a high polar moment of inertia. When the mass distribution is close to the axis of rotation, it has a low polar moment of inertia. A mid-engined car has most of its mass within its wheelbase, contributing to a low polar moment of inertia, which, in turn, improves cornering turn-in.

I would have thought a higher camber angle would have exagerated the phenominum ?