Manifold heat wrap

Rich

As the intercooler is directly above the manifold on my car I'd like to get some heat wrap and try to reduce the heatsoak, especially in the summer months.

Seen some on ebay but I'd rather not go there! :rolleyes:

Can anyone recommend some and where I can get it from, also how it is normally applied?

Cheers :unsure:

As the intercooler is directly above the manifold on my car I'd like to get some heat wrap and try to reduce the heatsoak, especially in the summer months.

Seen some on ebay but I'd rather not go there! :rolleyes:

Can anyone recommend some and where I can get it from, also how it is normally applied?

Cheers :)

TDi use some designed by NASA for the shuttle :unsure:

Are you using a tubular stainless steel type manifold? or just the OEM item? If it's the OEM manifold i wouldn't suggest wrapping it since it could induce stresses in the iron leading to cracks....I remember reading up on this a long time ago but then again i might be wrong :rolleyes: ...but can't remember where i read it lol....think it maybe better modifying a heat shield to go inbetween...maybe a better idea?

Yes I did read that somewhere as well but from what I've asked the OEM seems to be cast steel not iron, but then I can't be 100% sure of that. Is there anyway I can find out? A heat shield sounds like a good alternative though, will have to see what I could do with that. Would stainless steel be ok for one?

Yes I did read that somewhere as well but from what I've asked the OEM seems to be cast steel not iron, but then I can't be 100% sure of that. Is there anyway I can find out? A heat shield sounds like a good alternative though, will have to see what I could do with that. Would stainless steel be ok for one?

:) ER is your avator taken outside of the wim centre?

Yes it is, not bad for a camera phone photo :P

I had a play with it in photoshop and the avatar is a reduced version of this.

mondeo1.jpg

As for putting cossie vents in the bonnet I'm not too keen on them.

Yes it is, not bad for a camera phone photo :P

I had a play with it in photoshop and the avatar is a reduced version of this.

post-438-1203200497_thumb.jpg

As for putting cossie vents in the bonnet I'm not too keen on them.

Try some of this stuff, http://www.nimbusmotorsport.com/ProdShop.asp?category=252

Its superb, is easily bent to shape with your hands and if you trim it neatly it looks factory.

Ive used some here:

harryDSC00061web.jpg

Cheers for the link :P Someone on MEG just mentioned something similar, bit pricey for me though unless I go for the lite type. Do you think this would be ok for manifolds?

There's only about 3 - 4" clearance between the manifold and intercooler so want to try something to reduce the heatsoak. I may look at getting a custom stainless steel cover made, shouldn't need it that big.

Cheers for the link :blush: Someone on MEG just mentioned something similar, bit pricey for me though unless I go for the lite type. Do you think this would be ok for manifolds?

There's only about 3 - 4" clearance between the manifold and intercooler so want to try something to reduce the heatsoak. I may look at getting a custom stainless steel cover made, shouldn't need it that big.

The lite stuff is OK, just not as good at holding its shape, unless you put some ridges into it.

dude what you need is a fmic :D saab 1 at that :)

if your looking for stainless cover's shield's etc.... get hold of wootty :) he will sort you out no worrie's :D

Don't want to loose me aircon so that idea is a no go :D

Once I have the suspension/geo sorted I will be contacting wootty to see what he can do :)

what recommendations on a mild steel manifold ?

to wrap, shield or not bother

i have concerns on the closeness of my wastegate and the oilcooler/pipework,

would placing the above mentioned heat shield alleviate problems

what recommendations on a mild steel manifold ?

to wrap, shield or not bother

i have concerns on the closeness of my wastegate and the oilcooler/pipework,

would placing the above mentioned heat shield alleviate problems

bump !!