Newton's law has been broken.....

Tony

I would have thought asking how it seems to hover vertically is more relevant than inverted.

It makes my efforts with a relatively newly acquired quadcopter just so pathetic.

The control shown in those 3D helicopter clips is just staggering.

You reverse the pitch on the rotor blades. Model helicopters can only fly upside down because their collective pitch control allows the rotors to be negatively pitched. That is, to direct air flow "up" relative to the fuselage instead of "down". Wouldn't want to attempt it on a full size though!

You reverse the pitch on the rotor blades. Model helicopters can only fly upside down because their collective pitch control allows the rotors to be negatively pitched. That is, to direct air flow "up" relative to the fuselage instead of "down". Wouldn't want to attempt it on a full size though!

Ah so i was kind of right to be confused..... I trust this changing of the pitch to negative isn't possible in real HC's

I would assume it is. But not quite to the extent that RC helicopters do.

Also Dont forget an rc helicopter has an amazing power to weight ratio.( very light and powerful) whilst a full size chopper is pretty dam heavy and does not have tge same power to weight ratio.

I know redbull have a stunt helicopter that flys upside down...

I would assume it is. But not quite to the extent that RC helicopters do.

Also Dont forget an rc helicopter has an amazing power to weight ratio.( very light and powerful) whilst a full size chopper is pretty dam heavy and does not have tge same power to weight ratio.

I know redbull have a stunt helicopter that flys upside down...

Doesn't really fly inverted though, in fact you can see he loses height during the rolls when he is momentarily inverted. The power to weight is one obstacle, and the other is the blade clearance if they were put in negative pitch whilst inverted. The blades can be put into negative which is necessary in descent mode with cyclic down so the airflow maintains rpm during autorotation in the event of engine failure, in effect providing a winged flywheel that stores energy until the pilot raises the collective (pitch positive) to flare for a landing to ground level.