More grip than Dunlop RT

chrisgixer

Wheels are staggered.

9j rear with 265x35x18 sports content 3. Massive side grip. Good wear and stability. (Bit noisy but not bothered)

8j front. 245x40x18 Dunlop sport maxx RT. A grippy tyre. Not as stable as sc3 as the wear starts to deform the profile. "UNEVEN" Wear not excessive, but the instability is becoming a bit much after 5000miles.

So given the current set up gives under steer, and the fronts need replacing, what tyres should I fit to even up the balance of grip level...?

I could fit a less grippy rear, like f1 Asym2, but the rears are a long way off replacememt. The immediate answer would be fit a front tyre with more grip than RT.

...but does such a thing exist without getting into track tyres that don't work in the wet on the road?

Im on my phone... But what car is this for?

There are lots of good and bad tyres out there.

One that may be excellent for a small hot hatch may suck for a big car like a 730d.

Profile says Vauxhall Omega.

I took it to read Continental Sports Contact 3 and on an Omega.

Funnily enough the Dunlop Sports Maxx and the Contis are both OEM on the Skoda Fabia VRS, I've tried the Dunlops on both our old Octavia diesel (again factory fit) and my Skyline , found then pretty awful on both 

The Contis are ok , not anywhere as good as Eagle F1's but the Fabia is a light car and I dont really mind it moving around a little when pushed but from what I have heard the Falken 453 does give comparable grip to the Continentals at the expense of increased wear but since they are going on the front of a RWD car and are much cheaper anyhow wouldnt see that as being an issue.

Agree with above it does seem the Michelin PSS are the daddy for all out grip at the moment , I'm going to put a set on the 370 in the spring

Thanks for replies.

Yes sports contact 3 :)

Yes Vauxhall omega :)

I guess thing to remember is the balance of the car front to back. It's under steering ultimately.

I fully agree that some tyres work on smaller cars and not on bigger, or on front wheel drive and not rear wheel drive and vice versa. Falkens being a prime example, a tyre that's is totally devoid of directional stabilty on omegas, yet seems to work well on smaller/front wheel drive cars.

Omega is a two ton rear wheel drive car btw.

But if I could focus minds a bit on the cars balance. I just need to add more grip to the front, given the current set up.

So as the question, given the model car and not changing the rears, what tyre can I fit that will offer more grip on the front...? :)

Car has WIM set up btw, (-1.15 front camber) with sport suspension. I am happy with the geo and suspension, just need to up the front grip level.

The Michelin PS3 is a good cheaper alternative to the PSS, I've got them on the front of the Lexus and I've been really happy with them. Very quiet too as an added bonus.

Another more expensive one to consider is the Pirelli P Zero, hadn't tried these before getting the 360 and they seem to be very sticky once they get up to temp! I'm guessing it's a soft compound though so the wear might be fast if you do high miles.

Agree with above it does seem the Michelin PSS are the daddy for all out grip at the moment , I'm going to put a set on the 370 in the spring

Will be interested to hear how you get on with them, planning to put them on the 360 when the tyres need replacing.

I'm not sure you can do that.... The 360 has specific makes and compound codes or grip even with the same make of tyre could be compromised.

Thanks for replies.

I guess thing to remember is the balance of the car front to back. It's under steering ultimately.

I fully agree that some tyres work on smaller cars and not on bigger, or on front wheel drive and not rear wheel drive and vice versa. Falkens being a prime example, a tyre that's is totally devoid of directional stabilty on omegas, yet seems to work well on smaller/front wheel drive cars.

But if I could focus minds a bit on the cars balance. I just need to add more grip to the front, given the current set up.

So as the question, given the model car and not changing the rears, what tyre can I fit that will offer more grip on the front...? :)

Car has WIM set up btw, (-1.15 front camber) with sport suspension. I am happy with the geo and suspension, just need to up the front grip level.

Falken 453's are proven to work on large RWD cars , thats what the drift guys are using

I'm not sure you can do that.... The 360 has specific makes and compound codes or grip even with the same make of tyre could be compromised.

Oh does it? Thanks for that info, very useful! I do know the 2 OEM choices are Bridgestone S-02 and Pirelli P Zero, and rather annoyingly my car has Bridgestones on the front and Pirelli on the rear.

To be fair while I hate the Bridgestones, I like the Pirellis so I'll probably just stick with them come replacement time.

Thanks for replies.

Falken 453's are proven to work on large RWD cars , thats what the drift guys are using

Yeah but they run them backwards to stop them de-laminating.

Ok, I was hoping to avoid the Falken thing, and that people here had forgotten mine and others experiences of that disaster of a tyre and the havoc it causes with omega handling under certain circumstances, especially on enthusiastically driven Elites with soft suspension.

Personally I think drifting is absolutely ideal for any Falken as their inherent refusal to go in a straight line will never be exposed in that disaplin.

.....however that would be unfair on liner33 as he couldn't possibly have known, and my experience is with the 451 and 192 not the newer model which might be fine. I have also driven smaller more accurately suspended cars than the onega that where fine on Falkens.

Then again, I have to say, drifting is of no use to me as pointer the tyre quality. Fitting end to a Falken or not.

Omega owners experience suggests

High end tyres

Max grip RT

Slightly less grip but more stable and last longer sc3

Eagle F1 bit waxy by comparison. Quiet, some quality issues.

(Michelin generally (primacy?) thought to loose high grip levels quickly and settle down for serious miles at the expense of lateral grip. For this reason I'm concerned about paying their massive price)

Mid range

Kumho ku31 / 39 midrange tyre what more to say.

Falken avoid 451 and 192

Budget

Accelerate alpha

Nexen (wince)

Some others I can't be arsed with personally.

I've not tried the Sport Maxx RT but my experience with Dunlops (SP9000, SP01 and I think I've tried Sport Maxx) is that they are very good all rounders but not the ultimate performance tyres. This is why they are the OEM tyre on a lot of luxury performance cars.

But like I mentioned before the Michelin PSS is the performance tyre of choice everywhere I look at the moment, but I've been very happy with the Michelin PS3 that I have on the Lexus - £100/corner in the 18" size I have so not overly expensive but grip levels are great and they are quiet and comfortable at the same time.

Michelin Primacy is not a performance tyre so isn't fair to compare - you want to be looking at the Pilot Sport range if performance is the most important factor.