More grip than Dunlop RT

chrisgixer

Given my driving style is not much different to chrisgixers, and I generally expect 10k from rear Dunlop RTs and 20k from fronts, I would imagine that chrisgixer would be looking at 8 (rears) and 15 (fronts) approx.?  Although he does seem to get better longevity from his tyres, maybe due to motorway commute as opposed to my Milton Keynes commute.

Given the tyres cost what would you consider to be acceptable mileage?

Woo such a simple question. But it's much more complex than that due to wear on the edges and stability of the tyre generally, for me anyway.

Thanks to Wheels in motion the set up is quite well balanced for front tyre wear on inner and outer edges for me on my car with sport suspension. Similar set up to TheBoys in fact.

First thoughts.... 10,000 miles would be fine. But then thinking further that depends on what one considers to be the life of the tyre I suppose. Most people would go by legal tread depth. Which is what I'm basing 10k on to answer your question. (Edit to add we are talking front tyres here. )

However traditionally on the omega, or rather my omega(s) to a greater extent, the handling goes off at some point before the legal minimum tread depth is reached. I can tolerate some loss of grip as they wear but stability is important for me. By handling I mostly mean straight line stability. Tram lining takes over as the tyre wear increases, the over all feeling from the car becomes unstable and difficult to keep in a straighline or within lane. At that point they go in the bin and new ones fitted regurardless of tread depth.

The point at which the handling goes off usually is, in my experience, related directly to the feel and stability from the tyres once new. Falkens 451/452 and 912 especially where noticeably more unstable from new, although noticeably quiet and very comfy ride . So given that level of stability from new it's perhaps not surprising they became very unstable quite quickly as they wore down. The 912's went in the bin with just under half the tread remaining... (Actually that's a lie, the 912 went back to the manufacturer to check for faults they where that bad)

Conti sports contact 3 mo (Mercedes only) where instantly rock steady from new, and as a result gave the best life on any tyre I've had so far. Oddly Conti sc3 Ao1 (Audi only) where terrable, lasted 4k and I instantly knew I had made a mistake on leaving the tyre fitting bay they where so noticeably unstable.

Dunlop RT where also noticeably more unstable than my benchmark sc3 mo. But not as bad as the disastrous 912 or Ao1. RT fronts lasted 8k before the handling became unacceptable. This I find very disappointing given the stability of the previous Dunlop models such as the previous discontinued TT .

RT cost more than Mpss. (Possibly a cheaper on line price rather than Rrt price) So if the Mpss last 8k that would be...ok...ish. However given their inherent increase in stability over RT i am sort of expecting the handling to last longer, and hence the tyre to stay on the car longer, even with a softer compound than the fairly grippy RT.

Thing with omegas is, they have a long suspension stroke as Tony points out for us on omegaowners, so camber varies a fair bit as the suspension rises and falls on its McPherson struts. Even with poly bushes and lowered and firmer suspension, there is little to be done in that area to Improve matters. So Front tyres usually wear with both edges rounded off but still considerable tread depth remains towards the middle, and a flat in the middle rear tyre is considered normal tyre wear for an omega with a fair bit of tread in the edges. Not something that tyre pressures have any bearing on its just the way the car wears its tyres.

So, if the handling stays acceptable for 10k on the Mpss fronts I will consider that ok. The legal limit of the tread depth would likely go beyond that of what I would call acceptable handling/stability on any front tyre though.

So that reply might explain my rather odd question as to how long the Mpss will last. It's not as straightforward as simple tread depth for me and some other omega owners. The handling will be the deciding factor. Or put another way, tread depth SHOULD be the deciding factor. ....if that makes sense...?

Chrigixer makes a mental note that his next car should probably have double wishbone suspension if that gives more even tyre wear. Which I think it does. Or should do...? :)