Wozza's Honda Accord ICE Thread

djwozza

So with the arrival of the new amplifier, I'm now scouring breakers yards for two cheap as possible front door cards to modify with MDF/Fibreglass/Filler etc & a second set of C3-650's either new or secondhand once I can find some funds from somewhere. When I install the 450/4 amplifier I will need to rewire the amp rack (which will require a somewhat removal, then I will be able to order the perspex cover to finish it all off. The sale of the 300/4 amp which I have now owned some 7-8 faultless years & currently sounds so good powering all my front end set up, will help pay for the perspex & the door build fabrication materials. 

If you think it's sounding awesome now, you just wait......

I haven't fitted the amp yet, it will be louder in the front eventually with double the kick from the front doors with another set of C3-650's in some sort of fairly stealthy door builds I will have to construct. One build here is stealthy & subtle, the other is clearly not...post-819-0-34521100-1435826575.jpg

post-819-0-50956400-1435826606.jpg

It's a second set of these in the front doors, and probably use the existing door card as a mould and form fibreglass around it, then with lots of jiggery etc mount the second speaker to the left of the existing one. I will lose some of the door bin, or it may go entirely, but as you have seen previously, my fabrication skills will leave me with something functional, yet fairly stealthy/stock looking. At least that's the plan, I'm not certain as yet where I will be doing it as fibreglass is tricky stuff, and I can't do this indoors, oh yo own a large shed/garage!!

post-819-0-82593200-1435827257.jpg

post-819-0-13300600-1435827279.jpg

Agreed Tony but they are there purely for the sound value rather than visual astetics, & they will be hidden away, the aim is to mount the speakers securely in a functional way, whilst still drawing as little attention as possible from passers by.... until I turn them on that is :D

The stealthy build looks really nice given what's hiding behind!

Yes that's just the factory Honda door card as it currently stands. A spare set from a breakers will be cut up & moulded, so whilst the upgrade/build is going on, the car will still look & sound as it currently does, then half a days work fitting the upgrades one the door card are built & trimmed up.

I actually meant the one with 3 speakers in it, still looks pretty stealthy!

It's not stealthy with the speakers exposed like that, the other picture here of a door card is a "stealthy" build

post-819-0-63609600-1435830655.jpg

Yaaaaay just won these 2 sets of used JL Audio C3-650's for around half the retail price of one!! Get in!! I may well sell 1 pair later, but with the upgraded amplifier & the fact it can pump out 150watts R.M.S at 1.5-4ohms & I have 2 spare channels on the amplifier as well, I can easily run this 2 sets PLUS the existing set. The only thing holding me back now is cash, but soon I will hopefully be able to get 2 unmarked front door cards to modify. Might take a month or two to get sorted, but so long as this is all done including the last few jobs I already have to do by the end of the year I will be happy.

So here is the plan

Install the 450/4 to replace the 300/4 amplifier & adjust amp rack to suit

Construct the rear battery box & trim

Order a Perspex panel for the amp rack

Finish the last of sound deadening

Construct new custom front door builds

Sit back, relax, upset a few neighbours :)

post-819-0-41635600-1435854121.jpg

post-819-0-45819900-1435854134.jpg

post-819-0-21275300-1435854147.jpg

How much dare i ask did you pay for those speakers. I was in a demo car not long ago with those and could not believe the bass kick and mid range those put out.

I have always found JL tweeters a little 's'y.. I presume these are much clearer

I will PM you. I have never seen any secondhand C3-650's on eBay or on the Budget Boomers classifieds or similar pages on FB where used car hi-fi is often for sale. Very rarely the C5's come up, there is a set of secondhand C5's currently on eBay for £375! Obviously he is deluded to ask near the new price but even so lol. I had one person say something similar to your comments about top end during an audition as to his previous experiences, but if you EQ the top end flat (or very near to), then he had no issues with my set up of C3's in the doors & C5 tweeters in the stock dash positions. He was that impressed at the Huets night with them he went in & bought a set. On the adjustable crossovers on both sets, they are on reference, in particular, the C5 crossovers have an enormous amount of adjustability to suit individual tastes/set ups. The C2's in the rear doors are also on flat.

I gotta go Basingstoke on Sunday morning/lunchtime or so to pick them up, maybe hook up for an audition if you would like?

• Like 1

So quite a day at WIM, I hope my explanations of the install made sense, there is a lot of technical stuff to explain about path lengths, time alignment, tweeters, woofers, crossovers, sound deadening etc & you all now understand why I give system demos to one person at a time & it takes a minimum of around 10 minutes to get the explanations & the 20 or so demo tracks out the way. Some take even longer, Parthiban's in particular overrun badly as we just got into the zone of enjoying the music. "Oh let's try this one" etc lol

Many thanks for the positive feedback tho guys, after following this thread you have seen how much hard work has gone into this install, along with my own health tribulations on the way making it far more difficult. The looks on your faces during the demos was awesome, Rich just kept smiling & then just started giggling & couldn't stop. I take that as a huge grin factor.

So the plan is to swap out the front end amp, and construct new front door builds to house a second set of this C3-650's, then just tidy up a few lose ends to make it 100% complete. It's been a mission & a half, but it's thankfull nearly over now. True Car Hi-Fi perfection is very nearly upon us.....

I loved the whole system mate and although it's not a showy install you can appreciate all the hard work that has gone into it. The fact you could barely hear it outside of the car shows how much sound deadening you've used. You have alot more dedication than me :)

I'm a big bass fan (not drum and bass music though) and it took me back to the late 90s when we had a stupid amount of subs in the boot and would drive along Southend seafront. Of course your system if far superior to what we had then and was much clearer, which to someone with a hearing loss is a good thing.

I could actually follow the lyrics to most of the songs you played, which I've always had trouble doing. That's the main reason I like bass, I can feel the music as well as hear it and was surprised at how much bass some tracks actually had.

On the way home I actually turned the radio off and played some 90s garage I had on CD. The tourer has a small sub in the boot as standard and it wasn't too bad considering but listening to yours has made me want to at least upgrade my speakers! :)