lexus gs 450h sport leaning

Hi all, I have a lexus gs 450h sport with adaptive variable suspension and active stabilizer suspension. i have been back to lexus bolton over 20 times over the last 2 years because of the drive, it's a long story but i the car was pulling all the time and steering where it wanted, i used to love driving the car as it was excellent and i could do speeds in it without worrying, now i'm lucky if i hit 80 as it feels really insecure. They keep mentioning tyres and geometry and i am now on my third set of different tyres and had the geometry done myself at nigel llaings bolton (who i must say were excellent). the tyres and geometry did not make any difference so lexus have so far changed the front motor (£3000), steering column (£2500)  rear motor (£4000) and steering angle sensor £?. Bolton had said they could not fix the problem and i would be better taking it to lexus carlisle where i bought it from. since much complaining bolton are now bringing in a lexus area technician but i am worried as there will be him, the center principle, the after sales manager and the master technician in the meeting and i think they may be trying to bully me into thinking the car is ok. Peter at llaings suggested i contact this forum for any help i can get. the car leans to one side on the rear and this can vary between 2mm and 30mm under the same conditions and no load. The pulling gets worse and it can be to the left or right after country roads or roundabouts even cause the problem. Any advice or help would be much appreciated

it,s got actuators on but i think off reading up they have 3 motions that let the oil run through different chambers with rotary valves. will the actuators give different height if one is stuck was my thinking but i'm a heating engineer so technically minded but not too clued up on how the system works fully

I can't test the actuators only offer a heads up. Clearly there isn't a leak in the pressure system since it's not self healing, so my thoughts are the control for the height is being misinformed hence the variable height.  

http://m.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664548

the asss system uses a motor which twists the anti roll bars to make it corner flatter, and it also uses an adaptive suspension system which controls the dampers. its controlled via many different sensors and ecus but it's not an air system :-/

I'm unsure!

from my understanding after reading many lexus tech documents is :

the car adjusts the dampers according to what certain sensors are telling the actuators to adjust the dampers to. A bumpy road would relax the dampers to provide a smoother ride, setting off fast would adjust them stiffer to control lift on the front end. It uses yaw sensors, ,dive sensors, , steering input settings etc to calculate what each dampener should be doing. This is the avs system.

The asss controls the front and rear anti roll bars by twisting it to control body roll through corners etc. this is via a motor so the roll bar is always changing its position depnding on how the csr is being driven.

This also is calculated from the same sensors (I think) as the avs system.

hope this helps a little !

I'm struggling to find information from the internet about this AVS (Adaptive Variable Suspension) and ASSS (active stabilizer suspension system) but i do have around 60 pages of technical information that i have downloaded from http://www.lexus-tech.eu/ to try and understand about these systems. 

If the above answer is yes, would this cause the car to lean sometimes, and be level at other times depending on the road surfaces or road i have driven ie twisty country road or motorway?  Also would the incorrect ride height cause it to pull to either left or right and the wheel not remain central at times?

Hi Dean, how are things?  :)

Sorry to hear about the issues with the car, I remember looking at the GS Sport a few years ago, and yes it isn't air suspension, it has active body control. From what I remember it would use it's sensors to measure body roll and then actively adjust the suspension to stop it leaning.

Seeing as it's leaning when it shouldn't, my first thought would be to check whether those sensors are all working properly, and then probably the ECU next. I highly doubt it's the motors, to me it sounds like the car thinks it is leaning when it isn't.

• 3 weeks later...

well ill ask them about faulty sensors. The steering angle sensor has already been changed and we have a full electrical print out about what values they should be testing for, but seams lexus Bolton can't check using the procedures outlined by lexus UK for some odd reason, they just like throwing £££ at the car. so far around 17k has bee spent trying to sort this problem out

well ill ask them about faulty sensors. The steering angle sensor has already been changed and we have a full electrical print out about what values they should be testing for, but seams lexus Bolton can't check using the procedures outlined by lexus UK for some odd reason, they just like throwing £££ at the car. so far around 17k has bee spent trying to sort this problem out