Mazda RX-8 geometry

Waz

Hi Tony and WIM team!

After a couple of years enjoying the fast-road setup you gave me on my mx-5, I'm considering moving her on for an Rx-8, and I'm wondering if they are anywhere as adjustable as the mx5 was, and if a test drive that goes with L/R with on/off throttle behaviour is any kind of 'classic' xyz geometry adjustment?

Thanks in advance,

Waz.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I could assume tyre wear based on a poor setup, or pothole trauma, or drop links etc, could make this car behave on gas left, off gas right with a straight s.wheel, but we can fix it? Yay!

I think it's a car I've enjoyed the test drive and talking myself into...

I thought they were a lot better :huh:

That's why they are cheap as chips now, no one wants them anymore and plenty of nice examples for £3k or less.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-RX-8-Coupe-192-/181123676537?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2a2bcff979

I love the styling of the RX8 but couldn't afford to run one.

That's what I'm looking for, moving up from my 2-seater, to a four seat coupe, bit unusual, bit of fun, not worried about running it, I vary from 3000 to 5000 miles p.a. tops and always start every journey respectable and ending up winding the wotsits off it just for fun. my '5 gets 24mpg to work at 5 miles each way. ;)

Sometimes I'll drive the long way round to get better fuel consumption 'on a run' because that makes sense, just like saving money on the sales!

I thought they were a lot better :huh:

That's why they are cheap as chips now, no one wants them anymore and plenty of nice examples for £3k or less.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-RX-8-Coupe-192-/181123676537?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2a2bcff979

I love the styling of the RX8 but couldn't afford to run one.

Although I won't be buying that one - it's had a complete side-out repair, driver & suicide door, plus rear wing - eek!

That's what I'm looking for, moving up from my 2-seater, to a four seat coupe, bit unusual, bit of fun, not worried about running it, I vary from 3000 to 5000 miles p.a. tops and always start every journey respectable and ending up winding the wotsits off it just for fun. my '5 gets 24mpg to work at 5 miles each way. ;)

Sometimes I'll drive the long way round to get better fuel consumption 'on a run' because that makes sense, just like saving money on the sales!

Same kind of mileage I do so I don't blame you for wanting one. What's the tax on them, it's £400+ isn't it?

How did you find that out.

Purely speculation, based on the colour match of the OSR view photos. Cloudy paint almost in stripes in a diagonal direction covering the rear wing and both doors, not on the front wing though. Usually the sprayer was either not very good, or being too sparing with the paint and tried unsuccessfully to hide it with a drop-coat. Their oem bumpers never match on silver, so I was just looking at the body.

With solid paint its near impossible to tell, but silver is a real pita.

Tax is 280 a year from 2003 to 2005, then the 2006 onwards they are something crazy like 460!

Blimey you studied those pictures...... I noticed everything you said as well :whistle:

The sins of a Paintshop guy I guess, it was like looking at a spelling mistake.... I try to ignore my car, it's got 2 opposite corners done, I think only 2 panels ever match at a time. It looks like at least 3 cars worth of parts ( I seriously hope not for real though)

Short trips and rx8's don't get on , 5 miles might not be enough for it

I was wondering that, but the local test drives I've made, feeling a cold engine before setting off (hand on the block and rad to check) they were at normal before I'd passed work and the local garage is closer to that than home, so I can always vary it up with a 'spirited driving' route from time to time for an italian tune-up!

In fact my '5 gets that more often than is strictly necessary and yet I did some lift sharing this year and got 3k km between MOT's. Must get out more!

I'm still browsing sales for the rx8, and I realised that the tyres are 225/45-18. Looking on black boots, the choice/range of price and brand is too much for my tiny mind, any idea what would suit this car, given the Oem option was Bridgestone potenza re040? I have used the falken 452 on other coupes before, and the kumho ecsta's as well, I don't want to spend a real fortune, but I definitely won't be budget on this kind of car!