Mazda RX-8 geometry

Waz

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it have electric power steering?

Yes it does, but I think I found it already - missing drop-link on the offside front - Yay! easy to do on the drive that one.

How do you tell the deference between a bargain and a bummer?

If you mean my shopping around, I suppose it's best guess really, from the cars I test drove, the first one was just different to any other car, because I hadn't driven a rotary before but I like the smooth pull at high revs even before I learned to beep it.

The second one just sounded loud and rough, which the owner thought was induction kit and exhaust, but I thought was like noisy tappets (they don't have any, so crank/rotor bearings are likely) The last one was smoother, more powerful and generally nicer to drive.

Sample size of 3! so scientifically, the 2 the same are average, the outlier is either non-typical good or bad, in this case good I hope.

Hope I've got a bargain, or at least 'worth the price'  The rest of the car is just second hand cars after all - same condition for age vs wear and tear considerations.

Does it have electric power steering?

Yes it does, but I think I found it already - missing drop-link on the offside front - Yay! easy to do on the drive that one.

I was going to say you have sort of described the gen 7 Civic's handling, it has EPS and it's a terrible system, sometimes making it feel heavier one way than it does the other. It looks like you've found the problem though so hopefully that's it.

had a crack at it tonight, as my parts had arrived, but alas, the ball joints still attached to the wishbone and anti roll bar have been little swines to remove (the link was missing in total) got one off, but resigned to another day on the other one - it'll be cutting and grinding to get it off I'm afraid!

Exactly the same experience I had when I changed the front drop-links on my MX5, absolute pain in the backside to remove! A combination of dousing in plus-gas and heat removed a couple, but one had to come off with the grinder. Hope you get it sorted without too much of a problem! :)

I tried that when I did mine, only to find i'd sawed through the bolt next to the flange/disc that holds the link in place against the roll bar on the ball joint side, thus totally wasting my time and having to do it all again! :whistle: Is there even any space to get a clean cut through the bolt with the nut flush against the ARB on one side and this flange/disc on the other?

I've just finished one side tonight, which was the side that was missing! The other side I will replace just so it's a matched quality/newness.

In the end it was a set of stilsons on the exposed ball and a socket and bar on the other side and a lump hammer. I'm sure it was more work than just sawing through, but then I didn't have to risk cutting into the arms or slicing brake lines. New one in was a matter of moments, buttered with copperslip to make future efforts easier. (maybe)