What's happened to my tyres!

Rich

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well driving home from work yesterday it was 15 degrees according to the car and the roads were dry. The steering still felt strange when driving round bends/roundabouts. The only way I can describe it is like you are turning into the bend but the wheels want to turn more than they are suppose to. Turning in and out of junctions is ok, I just sometimes wheel spin slightly when it's wet/damp but in the dry seems ok.

Could any suspension/steering parts cause these issues that I'm experiencing?

If you've got a much sharper front end (turning tighter) that sounds like you've got more grip?

Does the car feel fine in a straight line?

How can it be more grip if the wheels turn in more than they should, or that's what it feels like anyway? If there was more grip I would've thought it will take more effort to steer? It actually feels like the tyres are going to let go when this happens.

In a straight line at low speed it's ok, high speed it feels abit light/floaty.

Sorry may have misunderstood the problem, so this is more that the steering feels like it's turning more than it normally would plus it feels lighter? That sounds very odd, has Tony had a look at it yet?

What does your tyre wear look like? The merc was quite floaty and unpredictable at the front when it ended up wrecking that tyre right on the inner edge.

Yes that's exactly how it feels. I thought it was just a wet/damp road problem but seems to be in the dry as well so something can't be right.

Tony looked at the tyres and they seem ok, all worn even across the tread but he wanted to see what happened after I swapped them.

The car only has adjustable front toe but I wonder if it could be the geometry :unsure:

Yes steering is straight and no pulling. Feels a little bit weird since changing the tyres over but that will be down to how they have worn in the original positions. I did notice it felt abit better when driving in the rain though rather than when it's just drizzle or damp so the road would be wetter.

• 2 weeks later...

Just been reading the Evo winter tyre test and I was quite surprised by their comment for the Goodyear 8 in the wet, mine are the 7 but I can't see there being too much difference.

They said when it came to feel you need to be very gentle, feels loose, with lots of rear movement on turn-in.

Now that could describe mine when it's wet or greasy apart from the rear movement as they tested around a track, whereas I don't push the car in those conditions. These were tested on a FWD Golf as well.

I'm assuming they test these tyres from new, yet mine were fine for the first few thousand miles and then the wet grip dropped off. But what they've described is what's happening with mine, although it hasn't been too bad recently. I think the Conti, Michelin and Pirelli were better than the Goodyear. If I get time I'll scan the article in, it was an interesting read.

I didn't know the tests were on there, thanks. They share the test with Auto Express as well so same car, tyre size extra. Interesting how their views are different.

The 2010 winter test by Auto Express puts my tyre in 1st place, especially for wet handling - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2010-Auto-Express-Winter-Tyre-Test.htm

Same for the AMS test - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2010-AMS-Winter-Tyre-Test.htm

Maybe there is quite abit of difference between the Ultragrip 7 and 8 so shouldn't be comparing them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well they seem to be getting worse now. I turned right this morning at a mini roundabout doing about 15-20 mph and the whole car just slid sideways around it! Not what I expect from winter tyres in these conditions :(

Not sure what to do now cos I want to sell the car this year but with the way it's handling in these conditions I'm not sure I will be able to. I don't even have any summer tyres to put on if these ones need to be tested to make sure they're not faulty.

I'll have a look, would only be temporary just to get me to work. There's a part worn tyre place near me as well so could ask there, I think it's around £25 a tyre though.