Garden birds at Christmas

Sagitar

This miserable weather is keeping me indoors so I had to content myself with trying to get some pics of birds on the feeders in the back garden. All taken through the dining room window and difficult to get anything good given the poor light and the lack of contrast. We have had Goldfinches, Chaffinches and various Titmice on the feeders all winter and it is good to see the Greenfinches back at last. They are all taken with the Fuji camera, but with an adapter that allowed me to use a 400mm Canon lens. The light was so poor that I had to wind up the ISO to 6,500 and still had problems getting any decent contrast, so they are all very flat and noisy.

20121227GardenBirds1.jpg

20121227GardenBirds3.jpg

20121227GardenBirds4.jpg

20121227GardenBirds5.jpg

20121227GardenBirds7.jpg

20121227GardenBirds8.jpg

Yes, very nice colours. I've been watching the birds on my feeders that last few weeks and I've had long-tailed tits in the garden for the first time :) Think it's the Aldi fat balls they like.

We get Long-tailed Tits visiting on a regular basis, but I have never seen them on the feeders. They usually arrive in a mob of ten to fifteen or so and flutter about in the trees before moving on. The don't sit still for very long and I have never been successful in my attempts to photograph them. I must try an Aldi fat ball . . . . :smile_anim:

It's a goldfinch Tony.

Yep - we get lots of them in the garden. They like nyger seed and are easy to photograph on feeders because they tend to sit still for longer than most of the garden birds. We get them in large numbers at times and I'm sure I must have put up pics of groups of them on the feeders.

You use the same feeders as I do, but unfortunately mine are hung from apple trees in the garden and the grey squirrels have developed the technique of wrapping themselves around them whilst upside down and chewing holes in the clear plastic. :censored: . You're correct on the goldfinches, they sit on the either side of the nyger seed feeders like pairs of bookends for ages. The nyger feeders have only narrow slits in the clear plastic to allow feeding, but for some reason the squirrels leave them alone.

The wire mesh peanut feeder also has regular visits from Green and Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers and I've positioned the feeder on a metal pole with a disc under the feeder similar to those used on the rat lines of ships, but the squirrels climb up the trees and launch themselves at the peanut feeder even though it's 3 to 4 feet away.