Steer by wire

Tony

How do you steer with a flat battery or move the car if it was a non-runner?

I don't really know, but I would assume that the clutch on the direct steering is held out by the power and drops in if the power fails. There is a hint on this right at the end of the video.

What's the difference between that and the "electric steering rack" in the Lexus?

The steering on the Lexus rack (and several others) is essentially direct but with the signals coming to the rack modifying the extent to which movement of the steering wheel causes movement of the wheels. The new Nissan system appears to be continuing the trend to take the driver out of the control servo-loop and replace him/her with devices that can sense, think and act more effectively. I guess the man in the street will love it while drivers looking for engagement will hate it.

What's the difference between that and the "electric steering rack" in the Lexus?

The steering on the Lexus rack (and several others) is essentially direct but with the signals coming to the rack modifying the extent to which movement of the steering wheel causes movement of the wheels. The new Nissan system appears to be continuing the trend to take the driver out of the control servo-loop and replace him/her with devices that can sense, think and act more effectively. I guess the man in the street will love it while drivers looking for engagement will hate it.

...and California, Nevada and Florida have already passed laws permitting the driverless car, as of September 2012. First license was issued by Nevada, in May I think, to a Toyota Prius modified by a team of Engineers employed by Google.

Looks like in the video it has a manual steering rack built in and uses an electric clutch to disconnect the manual bit while driving 'fly-by wire'.

Wonder if they will feed anything back to the driver or simply leave a dead wheel.

That's what I thought, you can over-ride the electric steering manually otherwise in an emergency you're buggered!

If it's anything like the Civic Gen 7, which has EPS then it will give no feedback and doesn't really feel like you're contact with the road.

You put dollys under the wheels to move it :)

Can't move my Superb when the engine isn't running thanks to the electric assisted steering

The Corolla and Civic both have electric steering and I can move those with the engine off, albeit it's very difficult.

I was reading some research stuff today. Thought you might be interested in this http://lwn.net/Articles/518923/

That's disturbing for all sorts of reasons. If you were a conspiratory theorist you could also speculate if government agencies could make use of remote hacking of car systems e.g making a Mercedes do strange things in a road tunnel in Paris.

The Corolla and Civic both have electric steering and I can move those with the engine off, albeit it's very difficult.

Really , electric steering ? NOT power steering which is hydraulic

I'm getting confused, both cars have electric power steering, they don't use fluid.

Electric power steering is still the same rack, just the assistance is provided by an electric motor rather than a hydraulic pump.

I do find fly by wire a bit scary for steering, but I guess that's just because we're not used to it. Stuff like planes are fly by wire, and they seem to work fine :)

electric power steering can be controlled by the ecu so the steering becomes lighter when parking and heavier at speed it's a significant improvement over conventional " dumb" hydraulic systems

Oh and it still has fluid so no idea what your car has ER

They removed the mechanical connection on the gearbox, the throttle, the clutch and the brakes but the world didn't end and there was not mass destruction on the roads

I recall similar reticence when cruise control or ecu's where first discussed

Liner33, my 1992 mk2 mr2 has electric power steering, probably ER's have a simular setup. I know the mr2 has assisted steering below about 40mph and over that it cuts out. Failure of the relay or not having the engine running results in very very heavy steering. The opposite when the assist stays on can result in very unstable and twitchy driving at higher speeds, only heard of one instance where an owner bypassed the relay permanantly forcing the power steering to stay on.