I should've started this when I brought her home (28/04/13), but like many things, I only thought of this now. I never did the MX-5 that she replaces which has already flown the drive to it's new owner after a super-quick 3 day advert to sale over the BH w/e.
Things about the Rex;
- It was rebuilt by Hayward Rotary, who are well regarded as far as I can tell. They warranty for 30months/30k miles now - this one has about a month left on the 2year 24k mile warranty given at that time.
- Totally standard, which I prefer to be the first abuser of any cars I get, and I prefer mods to be tasteful and preferably reversible
- It's the high-power 231PS model which is something like 228bhp I think
- 6 speed 'box
- redlines at 10krpm and beeps at you at 9.5 to warn you
- apparently it should use oil at .25L per 1000 miles, but I haven't got real experience of this yet.
- It definitely does do 18mpg
- it's the weirdest / nicest engine in a car I've ever driven
Jobs I have already done;
- both front stabiliser bar drop-links, because one was missing in action so I did both as new.
- rotated tyres to drag out the inevitable because the rears were 2.5/3mm and fronts more like 5 - now vice versa
- Cleaned it and polymer sealed it, and worried about the early signs of tinworm in the normal places
Jobs yet to do;
- Drive it in anger
- Brake with real fear for my life (hopefully not)
- find the limit of traction in most conditions - responsibly of course
which you could say to ^^ that this is learning to know an respect the car.
Having fun for sure.