Steering still light after fitting winter tyres

Rich

ive done over 500 miles on my Dunlop winter tyres, when i first got them they were quite light, i put this down to the compound, slighlty lower profile choice and needing to be scrubbed in. Since then after doing all the miles, they are still a little lighter than the all season tyres i had but im still putting this down to going from 55 to 50 profile, but the slightly slick manouvering feel has subsided.

They grip dry roads very well and ive been driving in the rain and slick conditions with little concern at all, where before i was concious that the car was far less capable in these conditions.

im quite a reserved driver, i like my car to be more capable than i am, that way if im driving in my comfort zone then i know the car has far more capability, grip and safety than i require of it. On my all season tyres i was very aware that the car and i could easily near the limits of grip without doing anything particularly silly. On the winters i know there is a little safety bubble beyond my driving ability.

They'll be doing another 120 miles at the weekend so that will probably bring it up to around 500 miles by then. I'll leave the pressures for now and see if the feeling improves.

Haven't bothered to fit mine yet. The forecasters are going as far forward as November 20th before they predict daytime temperatures below nine degrees, so at present I am planning to run on summer tyres for another week.

I was planning to acquire a set of steels and then get winter tyres put on - though when I'm only doing around 4k a year it hardly seems worth it - I might as well get some snow chains instead.

I like Tonys comment about winter being a learning curve in the UK, I know he was referring to winter tyres, but it made me think of everyones reaction to the first flakes of snow - panic! ... every year!

Sigh

ttfn

The forecasters are going as far forward as November 20th before they predict daytime temperatures below nine degrees, so at present I am planning to run on summer tyres for another week.

It didn't go above 5 degrees here in the West Midlands yesterday :(

In Herefordshire (south west midlands) its been between 2 and 8 degrees most mornings when ive got out to the car each morning to drive to work and its been constantly wet. As i then dont touch the car untill gone 5 in the afternoon where the temps have dropped back down to about 10 degrees or less then i would say im probably getting closest to the right environment for them! :)

when its been frosty (which has happened a few times already) i can use the car straight away without thought wheras on the all seasons they needed to warm up a little before they felt right. I'll be interested to see how they work in the propper environment..... as long as the car lasts that long!