Honda S2000 snap-oversteer

Tony

Ditchfinders these cars , i heard of one doing this on the motorway during a lane change , I'm all for RWD but the s2000 is just to light on the back end , needs the old Capri trick of sandbags in the boot

guys, this is due to the owner actually lifting off slightly, plus not reducing rear toe angle to reduce the 'bump steer' effect.

and i though snap over steer occured when it 'snapped' back and spun you the other way.

im aware he only just lifted off, but thats the problem yet again,

in RWD when you lift off the rear goes light (in any rwd car) you need to feed to power in very slightly when going around a corer like that to keep the back end planted and pushing the front end through the corner.

in RWD when you lift off the rear goes light (in any rwd car) you need to feed to power in very slightly when going around a corer like that to keep the back end planted and pushing the front end through the corner.

Quite so, you can really feel the difference at Brands in the M3s through Paddock & Surtees if the customer doesn't keep a bit of power on.

Had an almighty moment at Paddock on Wednesday when my customer decided that whilst it was fine to blat into the corner at a good speed, having then got cold feet about it he decided to come off the throttle and jump on the brakes right on the apex. Pillock!

Thank goodness we had full Traction and Stability Control switched on or we'd have been a LONG way off the road.

commenting on that second video,

the guy is obviously trying a little too hard, he almost miss shifted and could not quite make (5th?) gear ? .

and a few seconds before he spin's, he does the right thing and has let the engine do some braking, but he seems a little bit too feirce with re- applying the throttle. And to make matters worse for himself, he choses to feed in the power even though he has already started turning in to the corner.

Wet track + slightly nervous driver + applying throttle when your turning = spin.

Cars like the S dont just spin for 'no reason', it is due to drivers inputs.

I can find you hundreds of other RWD cars that lose their tails around those corners on the ring.

2nd spin very interesting.

The rear let go at 125mph and he was previously up to an indicated 150 (briefly) so isn't hanging about at all - particularly in the damp.

His reaction to reverse and J-turn the car shows he's very familiar with throwing the car around so I'm not so sure it was the usual dummy error, but I haven't got sound on the video so can't tell what happens just pior to the spin.

with sound you would here at 0:14 he lifts off (look at dash), then between 0:15 / 0:16 he starts to accelerate (again look at speedo), as he does this the back end kicks out. this is helped by the fact that the front wheel are already turned to the right which will cause the back end to step out.. just like it did.