Steering lock at a weird angle?

I noticed this when I got home with the car, tried putting it on the steering lock and it only happened when it got round this far! Now to me this seems too far round?

It drives in a straight line from what I've experienced so far so what could cause this? Could the steering wheel of been taken off at some point and put on wrong? :huh:

wheel.jpg

I haven't looked at those yet, I was hoping to get the geo checked and have a poke about underneath. The previous history has mentioned inner tyre wear but there are only receipts for 20 quid wheel alignment so I doubt the camber has been touched as well!!

It takes alot of effort to get it in that position as well, so it's not right. I reckon they've had the wheel off at some point and a combination of putting it on wrong and tracking has resulted in that. However, having said that I would've thought the wheel will be at an angle when driving in a straight line if it was down to that.

No accidents, it's clean. There is a handsfree kit installed and a reversing sensor kit, both are hardwired behind the dash so the wheel may of come off then. The steering lock wasn't something I thought to check when I viewed it but I don't think it's going to cause to much of a problem if it can't be fixed.

But I've never known a steering wheel to lock that far round and it shouldn't take the effort that it does to lock it. If I take the wheel off and position it so the lock is nearer when driving in a straight line the wheel will be at an angle won't it? Unless the geo will sort that out if there's enough to play with on the TRE?

Well it seems some people say theirs locks within 10 degrees and some say it's the same as mine, that's only with a handful of replies though. It does seem like it's nothing to worry about though.

The lock on the XR3i locks dead centre and that car is 23 years old!

The Mondeo locks slightly to wherever the wheel is though (I think) but I always straighten the wheels before putting the steering lock on. One thing I hate is people who leave their wheels at an angle!!