Lexus IS250 tyre wear

Tony

wim has had several contacts regarding inside tyre wear on the front of the IS250. Next week i will have my first visual example that needs new front tyres and a full Geometry i will post pictures of the type of wear subject to the owners permission.

From what i read and the low mileage delivered from the tyres it would seem we have a continuation of the IS200/ 300 historical inner tyre wear problem. Tango a member here in wim has made available data for the IS250 and seemingly the chassis positions are an overlap of the IS200/300.

wim is horrified that Lexus could get this wrong again.. surely not?.. please not!.... why the desperation in my voice? On the IS250 the front camber is NOT adjustable so this time the wim positions will not save the day!..

I hope a respectable engineering company is testing some after-market camber adjusters for the IS250 rolleyes_anim.gif

wim has had several contacts regarding inside tyre wear on the front of the IS250. Next week i will have my first visual example that needs new front tyres and a full Geometry i will post pictures of the type of wear subject to the owners permission.

From what i read and the low mileage delivered from the tyres it would seem we have a continuation of the IS200/ 300 historical inner tyre wear problem. Tango a member here in wim has made available data for the IS250 and seemingly the chassis positions are an overlap of the IS200/300.

wim is horrified that Lexus could get this wrong again.. surely not?.. please not!.... why the desperation in my voice? On the IS250 the front camber is NOT adjustable so this time the wim positions will not save the day!..

I hope a respectable engineering company is testing some after-market camber adjusters for the IS250 graduated.gif

Tony...seeing you this week so perhaps we can discuss a design or two ph34r_anim.gif

Wheels arrived from Japan (Rays Volks SF Winning)volksboxjb5.jpg

...I like 'em, however despite the importer saying they were the same fitting as the OEM's they take a different nut and so I have to splash out on a new set of nuts (no rude remarks please) and lock nuts tomorrow. The Toyo's are on the new rims, and balanced rolleyes_anim.gif

Maybe look at adjusters yourself, get an engineering firm in to cost them i mean how many are you going to sell as you dont geo the whole IS market:

Kerching!!

The design is simple... testing and approval is the hard part.

I hope a respectable engineering company is testing some after-market camber adjusters for the IS250 :lol:

Tony...seeing you this week so perhaps we can discuss a design or two ph34r_anim.gif

Wheels arrived from Japan (Rays Volks SF Winning)volksboxjb5.jpg

...I like 'em, however despite the importer saying they were the same fitting as the OEM's they take a different nut and so I have to splash out on a new set of nuts (no rude remarks please) and lock nuts tomorrow. The Toyo's are on the new rims, and balanced rolleyes_anim.gif

New nuts..... sounds like a dream graduated.gif (sorry) Nice looking wheels i look forward to our meet.

• 5 months later...

Tony have you progressed with this for the IS250? Mine came back from 20k service with the normal uneven wear:

inner - middle - outer:

front right 1.6,6,4

front left 1.6,5,3

rear left 4,4,4

rear right 4,4,4

I've replace the front tyres this week and just wondering what you advise to correct the wear. I know you had it down to a fine art on the IS200 but can you do an equivalent job on the IS250? If so I may need a trip down to see you, It's a bit of a way but could pair it with a visit down that way.

Steve ( aka Steve ( West Mids ) on LOC ).

Tony have you progressed with this for the IS250? Mine came back from 20k service with the normal uneven wear:

inner - middle - outer:

front right 1.6,6,4

front left 1.6,5,3

rear left 4,4,4

rear right 4,4,4

I've replace the front tyres this week and just wondering what you advise to correct the wear. I know you had it down to a fine art on the IS200 but can you do an equivalent job on the IS250? If so I may need a trip down to see you, It's a bit of a way but could pair it with a visit down that way.

Steve ( aka Steve ( West Mids ) on LOC ).

To few cars to gauge a hypothesis so far. Yours is the first one showing direct camber wear on the unmodified car. Jugging by the tread depths you mainly drive on the motorway is this true?

No, mostly 30 mile runs on A roads averaging maybe 45 - 50 on a good day. Just done a 30 mile each way motorway trip and noticed the vagueness you have posted in another post. This is presumably as the tyre treads are now even on the new tyre. Need to see what it's like over the next few days. I'll also double check pressures and nut tightness all round in the morning.

Have you a correction for the camber wear?

No, mostly 30 mile runs on A roads averaging maybe 45 - 50 on a good day. Just done a 30 mile each way motorway trip and noticed the vagueness you have posted in another post. This is presumably as the tyre treads are now even on the new tyre. Need to see what it's like over the next few days. I'll also double check pressures and nut tightness all round in the morning.

Have you a correction for the camber wear?

So far we have proved the 'deadness' is toe related. If your car is suffering camber wear then we have a problem! The 250 has no natural adjustment and since the car is so new no manufactureur has developed after market adjusters. As we speak development is being discussed but nothing more than that! Simple fact is the distress if proven, is to low at the moment to encourage serious development.

OK Tony thanks for the reply, I guess by the time it has done another 20k I would have sold it. But I'll keep an eye on the tyre wear and the deadness as you put it.

You must! If the wear is camber related then as the coils age the dynamics will accentuate the wear. Please make a conscious effort to monitor the tyres every few thousand miles or so!!!!

• 1 year later...

Well I'm back again to ask some questions:

Same old story for me :thumbsup_anim:

Lexus IS250 SEL Auto, 10 months old, shod with Toyo Proxes R32:

front right 3, 6, 3

front left 2, 6, 3

rear left 4, 5, 3

rear right 4, 5, 3

Reminds me of the IS200 and is worse than my previous IS250 considering it's done half the miles :D

Do Toyo tyres wear more than the other standard fir? Sure my last ones were Bridgestone or Pirelli.

What adjustments are there on the IS250? What is likely cause of this wear?

Well I'm back again to ask some questions:

Same old story for me :thumbsup_anim:

Lexus IS250 SEL Auto, 10 months old, shod with Toyo Proxes R32:

front right 3, 6, 3

front left 2, 6, 3

rear left 4, 5, 3

rear right 4, 5, 3

Reminds me of the IS200 and is worse than my previous IS250 considering it's done half the miles :D

Do Toyo tyres wear more than the other standard fir? Sure my last ones were Bridgestone or Pirelli.

What adjustments are there on the IS250? What is likely cause of this wear?

Looks like under inflation to me..what pressures are you using and what's your usual drive i.e. motorway or urban, length of average journey??

The Toyos are a softer compound than the Bridgestones, not sure if they're a lot softer than the Pirelli though. Usual trade off of wear against grip...softer compound more grip but more wear and vice versa.

Tango is spot on..... The figures say the tyres are under inflated (for you)....

Point to remember is the data offered by the manufacture is only a "suggestion"..... Within reason it's up to us to find the perfect pressure, personally i would up the PSI by 2psi.

Just got mine back from its 20k Service.

FR : 3.8 - 5.9 - 4.2

FL : 4.2 - 6.0 - 4.0

RL : 4.0 - 3.5 - 4.0

RR : 5.0 - 4.3 - 5.0

Seems a big difference in the middle between front/rear. I do a lot of motorway driving.

Does this indicate anything?

I've been using 35 front and 38 rear, dealership said pressures were correct when it was serviced. My drivin is nearly all "A" road at an average of about 45 mph in rush hour ( 30 mile each way ). I'll try an extra couple of pound in each then. Need to decide which tyres to go for though.

Just got mine back from its 20k Service.

FR 3.8 5.9 4.2

FL 4.2 6.0 4.0

RL 4.0 3.5 4.0

RR 5.0 4.3 5.0

The difference in the centres of front/rear. I do a lot of motorway driving.

Does this indicate anything?

Looks like you're running lower pressures on the fronts, which is in line with the OEM recommendation. I'd suggest 2-4 psi increase in the front and 1-2 psi decrease in the rears.

I'm running on 38 psi all round at the moment, having started initially at 36 psi front and rear...but that's with 19x8.5 Front - 19x9.5 Rear, Front: 225/35/19 Rear: 275/30/19 (Toyo T1-R). My wear is pretty even across the width but if I was really picky I think I could increase the pressure in the rears 1-2 psi.

Looks like you're running lower pressures on the fronts, which is in line with the OEM recommendation. I'd suggest 2-4 psi increase in the front and 1-2 psi decrease in the rears.

I'm running on 38 psi all round at the moment, having started initially at 36 psi front and rear...but that's with 19x8.5 Front - 19x9.5 Rear, Front: 225/35/19 Rear: 275/30/19 (Toyo T1-R). My wear is pretty even across the width but if I was really picky I think I could increase the pressure in the rears 1-2 psi.

Thanks Tango, I'll try 37 all round to start with then. (+2 front, -1 rear)

OK - silly question from me time.

I went and bought a tire tread guage today ...... so question is do you measure it from the bottom of the tread or on top of the little tyre tread markers insie the tread?

If it's the bottom of the tread ( which I expect it is ) then I think my Lexus dealer needs to be taught this :o

OK - silly question from me time.

I went and bought a tire tread guage today ...... so question is do you measure it from the bottom of the tread or on top of the little tyre tread markers insie the tread?

If it's the bottom of the tread ( which I expect it is ) then I think my Lexus dealer needs to be taught this :D

I've always assumed the tyre tread markers are the indication you need to change, i.e. when they're the same level as your working tread...are you saying the Dealer is measuring the minimum allowable 'remaining' from the tread marker??

Tony will correct me if I'm wrong :o

Yes, the dealer appears to have measured from the wear markers.

Nothing wrong with that as long as he has given the figures as the total tread depth left before you need new rubber..

It doesn't say that it just says tread mm. The 2mm it highlights as amber ( green, amber, red ) which is why I thought my tyres needed attention almost immediately. When I queried with service and service manager nobody says it's 2mm before you need to change them. Misleading at best IMHO.