Steering issues lexus IS 250

lebon

Hi All, Newbie here so please bear with me, my problem arised about 3 weeks ago driving on thw motorway above 60 miles I felt like the steering was not controlling the wheels to put it in a laymans term. Called Lexus and was told to check my tyres, funny enough both front wheels worned out on the inner side and had to have them changed. Still it did not cure the problem so decided to get wheel alignment done with the local garage and was told that the steering arm and the track rod end had bent and therefor they could not do the alignment. Send the car to lexus they confirmed that the track rod end had bent but not the sterring arm and they also did all 4 wheel alingment.Now that still has not cured my driving problem I cant seem to drive more than 60 miles as it feel like you have no control of the car its even worst on a slippery surface as I experienced yesterday and had to drive below 50 miles. Send the car back to Lexus today the guys down at Lexus tested the car and claim that nothings wrong with the car, having say that Lexuz issued me with a courtesy car today and I decided to test drive it and had no problems doing 70 miles. My car is still under extended warranty and I am at total lost here. Unable to say what seems to be the problem here, any help or advice is much appreaciated. Sorry for the long windedness. Thank you

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to wim

1: Any explanation why the steering arm was bent?

2: Did anything happen between the car being fine and the problem?

3: Did they give you any geometry reports, if yes what are the final front camber and castor positions.

4: Does the car pull to one side

5: Is the steering wheel level when driving straight.

Welcome to wim

1: Any explanation why the steering arm was bent?

2: Did anything happen between the car being fine and the problem?

3: Did they give you any geometry reports, if yes what are the final front camber and castor positions.

4: Does the car pull to one side

5: Is the steering wheel level when driving straight.

Thanks for welcoming me to Wim

They said ii could have tampered with it ie using a jack wrongly to jack the car up which I diid not or hit a pothole which I can't remember either as I do mostly motorway driving

Yes they did give me a geometry report

Sometimes it feels like it's pulling to one side but not sure if it's the road

You know I have not really checked to see ifnthe steering wheel is level whe straight I could do anoter test drive myself to check on that

I just got the car back from Lexus this evening and they said they could not find anything wrong with it

It's really puzzling me as I don't feel confident driving the car anymore it feels like I have no control over the car at times especially whe it's wet. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, had the car with Lexus for 3 days thet claim to have tested in on dry road and wet on a motorway but unable to find any issues with the steering.But having taken the car back and it still feels the same at speeds off 70mph it has kinda sway feeling. Any one had these experience before, also could I just find out if the steering rack and the tie rod end are the similar thing. Also is it advisable to have an independent vehicle inspection done? Any help much appreaciated.

Having seen the geo report we can dismiss the chassis assuming their machine is in calibration?

Does it feel like your driving in a crosswind.

It kind feels like that but more of vagueness on the steering especially on wet surfaces its more obviuos it feels like the tyres is not touching the ground. Soory what do you excatly mean by if thier machine is in calibration if the geo report seems fine.

I'm not a fan of Michelin on the Lexus...... If your a member of LOC ask if you can borrow someones wheels for a test drive.. Or even ask the dealer if they are so confident.

It looks like a wrong choice of tyres for the front then, but anyway Lexus wants me to bring the car down to them next week to them, to see if I could replicate the problem while the mechanic is in the car with me, not sure if that would make any difference as its the feel of the steering

If they do, have them swap the fronts with another cars wheels/ tyres

Thanks Tony for all your help

Hi Tony, Another update had the tyres swapped over steering felt slightly stiffer, so decided to change the fronts back to Dunlop and took it for a drive, unfortunately it felt the same. It feels like the steering has become to sensitive and you dont feel the confindence of driving it to 70mph but anything below 65mph feels fine and also its easier to turn left but a bit harder to the right. I am wondering if the reason geometry done by Lexus has anything to do with this, as before the replacement of the track rod end and the geometry check the car was driving fine. Your thoughts on this please as I am on my wits end now. Thanks