Steering issues lexus IS 250

lebon

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you display the geo report or post the final figures of the front.

I did email you the reports awhile ago. Please check to see if you got them

Could you re-send because i have 1000's of emails in my inbox.

Can you display the geo report or post the final figures of the front.

I did email you the reports awhile ago. Please check to see if you got them

Could you re-send because i have 1000's of emails in my inbox.

Ok Tony I have sent it to your email address

It looks fine but the driving is no longer fine, Is it possible to go back to its previous geometry set up though it might cause uneven tyre wear but at least I know my drive will be as what it use to be. not sure if it makes any sense, rt what other options do I have. Thanks

Get Lexus to loan you different tyres from another car.

Lexus did loan me one from a different car and for a test drive the steering was slightly stiifer but it was pulling to th eright on th emotorway and that did no really help with the test drive.

They need to change both not just the one.

Sorry meant to say they changed or loaned of 4 tyres but on the motorway test the car was pulling to the right and that did not help much with th etest but the steering did feel slightly stiffer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tony, Another update I had my Geo done again with Sts Tye pros in Canterbury. They have come up with some alignment issues compare to what Lexus had done it varied to what Sts had, so got Sts to put it right. It seem to have cured the problem mostly but there is a slight issues when you steer left on the motorway as it feels slight skirtish and bit of tramlining too. Wonder if you could please look at the report from Sts and let me know what you think and if its possible to do any more adjustment to get it right. Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, Final update had my car checked by Lexus Sidcup they acknowledged that there was an issue with the steering. They reckon it was the steering rack, had the steering rack replaced and the car drives the way it use to. It took me 2 months to get this sorted out with Lexus Canterbury who claims there was nothing wrong with the car, i seriously thought I was losing my mind. Anyway I would like to thank Tony for all the help he has given me here and on the phone. Thanks Tony again. .

p.s Yes I would be sending in a complaint against Lexus Canterbury.

Always satisfying to read a positive outcome...... Well done for persevering and make that complaint letter nice and long.

May be coincidental but there was a formal recall on the steering rack. The one on my IS250 SE-L was changed out over a year ago.

Do you know what the actual problem is?

It's a rack and pinion EPS system (Electric Power Steering) and it was a major issue as hundreds (millions?) were recalled globally for the racks to be changed out, including mine at 2,500 quid a pop :o don't know if this included labour, but it took around 4 hours to do.

Some people had already experienced what appeared to be total failure of the power assist at low speeds as they couldn't turn the wheels at all. On the original rack my car seemed to have a vagueness in steering and seemed to drift about at higher speeds, and this was cured by changing the rack. The system is speed sensitive so the feedback from the wheel changes the faster you go, becomes 'firmer', so it appears this system failed resulting in almost a reversal of the intent i.e. reduced power assist at low speed and too much at the higher end. :( .

Got the date wrong, it was two years ago, the recall included certain 2007 GS 450h, 2006 2007 GS, IS and RX 400h vehicles and fault was assigned to a faulty electric motor.