AWD with summer tyres vs FWD with winter tyres

Rich

So we all know that an AWD/4WD car will offer better traction in snow/ice/rain but how do these compare to a FWD car that's fitted with winter tyres. Would it be better than the AWD if it had all season or summer tyres on?

I took my Evo out in the snow last year , traction wasnt an issue but stopping was thats where winter tyres would be of benefit

Makes sense, I guess you need the different tread pattern of winter tyres to dig into the snow. What tyres did you have on the evo then and I guess they're pretty wide as well?

I took my Evo out in the snow last year , traction wasnt an issue but stopping was thats where winter tyres would be of benefit

Makes sense, I guess you need the different tread pattern of winter tyres to dig into the snow. What tyres did you have on the evo then and I guess they're pretty wide as well?

225/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics so not wide by todays standards

AWD is much better for forward traction in the snow...

all cars suck at trying to reduce their speed in the snow.

this point made me laugh last year when i saw this type of thing happen right before me.

Was out in the accord taking my father to a meeting and mr scooby doo was showing traffic how quickly he could pull away from a standstill before other cars could.

soon enough we caught up with the 'offending' vehicle who had promptly drivven a little too fast towards a T junction and ended up going throughsome ones garden wall and finding a nice grassy parking sport in their front garden.

225/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics so not wide by todays standards

Mine are 215 wide but I got well and truely stuck last winter up a hill. Took 3 days before I could get the car moving.

AWD is much better for forward traction in the snow...

all cars suck at trying to reduce their speed in the snow.

this point made me laugh last year when i saw this type of thing happen right before me.

Was out in the accord taking my father to a meeting and mr scooby doo was showing traffic how quickly he could pull away from a standstill before other cars could.

soon enough we caught up with the 'offending' vehicle who had promptly drivven a little too fast towards a T junction and ended up going throughsome ones garden wall and finding a nice grassy parking sport in their front garden.

:lol: Teach him to be cocky! You'd have to be a dickhead to drive like that in snow unless you had proper tyres on. I just want a car that won't get me stuck so I think AWD is the way to go and possibly with some winter tyres.

So true - keeping going is one thing, but stopping is quite another.

That's why I have my shed of a Legacy for the winter - its a lot more stable than the Arosa or MX5s we have, but it does have the added problem of jumping out of 1st on the overrun.

That's VERY scary when you are creeping down the hill next to us on sheet ice and you've forgotten about that occasional fault and by God it doesn't half accelerate fast when in neutral on ice and you were staying off the brakes to avoid sliding!

How the heck I got that thing back into gear and slowed enough for the tight corner at the bottom of the hill I'll never know! :huh:

So true - keeping going is one thing, but stopping is quite another.

That's why I have my shed of a Legacy for the winter - its a lot more stable than the Arosa or MX5s we have, but it does have the added problem of jumping out of 1st on the overrun.

That's VERY scary when you are creeping down the hill next to us on sheet ice and you've forgotten about that occasional fault and by God it doesn't half accelerate fast when in neutral on ice and you were staying off the brakes to avoid sliding!

How the heck I got that thing back into gear and slowed enough for the tight corner at the bottom of the hill I'll never know! :huh:

Sounds scary...is it a manual or auto? Slightly off topic but what is better for snow/ice driving?

A legacy is what I'm getting but can't decide whether to get a cheap 2.5L runabout for now or get the GTB that I want. Either way at least I'll be able to get out on the road, just need to remember to take it easy when braking as usual.

Sounds scary...is it a manual or auto? Slightly off topic but what is better for snow/ice driving?

A legacy is what I'm getting but can't decide whether to get a cheap 2.5L runabout for now or get the GTB that I want. Either way at least I'll be able to get out on the road, just need to remember to take it easy when braking as usual.

Its an S reg 2.5 non-turbo manual estate and because its heavy on fuel I just use it for runs to the tip, marshalling on trials and when the roads are slippery.

I knew the gearbox was a bit weak and had to replace the rear dampers and front springs for the MOT (and pugged up a blow in the front exhaust that links the manifolds) but I only paid £500 for it and everything works fine despite an engine check light (probably O2 sensor) so what the heck - it can stay like that until I throw it away - unless you want to give me £500 as it is now with MOT to 10th Feb 2011 and tax to end June '11? Includes a set of 4 15" alloys and a set of 16" alloys both with good tyres...