Rally Tyres for Drift

Janey

At practice on Monday, I was talking to Declan Hicks (D1GB driver) who before he got the Soarer ran an Eunos the same as mine (although unlike me he had a turbo :( ).

And he suggested I got myself some Rally tyres like these kumho R700's ku_r700.jpg on the rear as they will grip better when its needed :(

Any opinions/advice ??

surely if we are talking about drifting on smooth tarmac areas then a slick or semi slick would afford more grip

a rally tyre would have less contact area, and being a hard compound would give less grip

i think :(

surely if we are talking about drifting on smooth tarmac areas then a slick or semi slick would afford more grip

a rally tyre would have less contact area, and being a hard compound would give less grip

i think :(

Thats sounds logical :D Although the R700's do come in soft med & hard compounds

It's Roadster specific apparently :(

Are we talking for Drifting? if yes it defies logic.

Yes we are talking for drifting :(

Ok, need to know how it defies logic, please explain oh Guru :D

Extensive rear grip and Drift are not normally partnered... Also the tyre looks like a 4X4 tyre and would run exceptionally hot unless scrubbed. Please understand i am not suggesting the possibility that the tyre does not work since most elements regarding Drift are still experimental, at least here in the UK, but miss-information is so prolific (not by twinkle :( ) i feel the need to question such a product.

After saying all that there is the question of durability? The Rally tyre would assume a harder compound and construction compared to the domestic tyre but? i questioned the RFT to Mat and this was quickly dismissed as not viable for Drift.

mmm I think I am going to have to extensively question Declan :(

Please realise i am totally receptive to the logistics Declan offers but i feel there are gaps that i would love answered... Unfortunately in any form of competition a real advantage is rarely volunteered....

Anyhoo is Drift your flavour now?... if yes then we need to take the Nurburg set-up away and change Geometry shoes!

Please realise i am totally receptive to the logistics Declan offers but i feel there are gaps that i would love answered... Unfortunately in any form of competition a real advantage is rarely volunteered....

Anyhoo is Drift your flavour now?... if yes then we need to take the Nurburg set-up away and change Geometry shoes!

Must admit the set up didn't make things any easier and a tweek or two maybe in order, (along with a new diff :( ) but as you can see she did pretty well :D

DSC_0123.sized.jpg

Must admit the set up didn't make things any easier and a tweek or two maybe in order, (along with a new diff :( ) but as you can see she did pretty well :D

DSC_0123.sized.jpg

You constantly amaze me :D such determination and understanding compounded with seamless ability... If Drift is your taste now then lets change the set-up 'BUT' remember this will make the car feel very insecure on domestic roads :o

You constantly amaze me :rolleyes: such determination and understanding compounded with seamless ability... If Drift is your taste now then lets change the set-up 'BUT' remember this will make the car feel very insecure on domestic roads :(

Aww shucks Tony :rolleyes: (inserts embarrased smiley)

Trouble is I want to do a bit of everything (impractical I know) although I'm far more comfortable doing circly skids rather than bombing round a track, and Mabel is my daily drive too so I'm not sure how far we can go on the set up as I have a feeling the drive to work each day could end up being a little precarious :blink: Maybe a test day is in order B)

Or......maybe its time for me to have nearly as many cars as Barrie :lol:

You constantly amaze me :rolleyes: such determination and understanding compounded with seamless ability... If Drift is your taste now then lets change the set-up 'BUT' remember this will make the car feel very insecure on domestic roads :(

Aww shucks Tony :rolleyes: (inserts embarrased smiley)

Trouble is I want to do a bit of everything (impractical I know) although I'm far more comfortable doing circly skids rather than bombing round a track, and Mabel is my daily drive too so I'm not sure how far we can go on the set up as I have a feeling the drive to work each day could end up being a little precarious :blink: Maybe a test day is in order B)

Or......maybe its time for me to have nearly as many cars as Barrie :lol:

You deny yourself credit... To Drift the 5 with a track set-up takes some doing!... But as you wisely say this is your daily drive so maybe we can meet in the middle... Personally i feel you are a two car racer :P

• 1 year later...

Just found this thread & it refers to me!!

I suggested these as tyres to learn on, especially with N/A MX5's being rather gutless. They are easy to slide around on & its much kinder to your car, you'll pick up the steering techniques far far quicer (In an MX5) Also they are cheap loads on Ebay going cheap. With these on your MX5 feels feels like a V8 monster (well sort of)

I would'nt suggest for one second to use them on anything but beginner level practice days.

I suggested these as tyres to learn on, especially with N/A MX5's being rather gutless. They are easy to slide around on & its much kinder to your car, you'll pick up the steering techniques far far quicer (In an MX5) Also they are cheap loads on Ebay going cheap. With these on your MX5 feels feels like a V8 monster (well sort of)

I would'nt suggest for one second to use them on anything but beginner level practice days.

LOL yep its all your fault for causing Tony such confusion Declan :) ....nothing to do with me :D :D

post-2-1194258106.jpg MX5 fitted with a V8 :D

• 10 months later...

Back to the point of grooved tyres Vs slick or bald tyres.......depsite it seeming backwards, you want tyres with more grip then slick. This is what I have been taught and this is also something I found out on my last drift day. Once a tyre has shed its tread pattern and you now have yourself a semi/slick tyre, you will have less control of the drift as the rear of the car has nothing left to grip with. So I can see the logic in someone saying to drift with those rally tyres, they are probably a harder compound and the tread pattern would probably last longer then a normal tyre.

But like I used to think you dont want worn, bald, or slick tyres to drift on. When I was I just kept spinning all the time, so now as soon as a tyre even starts to delaminate Im into the pits and a new set of rubber goes on.

a true slick will give lots of grip when warmed up,

however no Uk drift series allows them

Do you think it's true that running directional tyres backwards slows down the de-lamination?

it is indeed true, some brands of tyres prefer being run backwards ...or should i say some brands run backwards dont de-laminate as bad as they do when run in the correct rotation

Do you think it's true that running directional tyres backwards slows down the de-lamination?

it is indeed true, some brands of tyres prefer being run backwards ...or should i say some brands run backwards dont de-laminate as bad as they do when run in the correct rotation

How interesting is that...... Don't suppose you know why?

How interesting is that...... Don't suppose you know why?

dunno, the delamination process seems to be linked to tyre compound, and heat generation, in that those which heat up very quickly, and are a soft compound, sometimes delaminate

worst tyres ive experienced it with are Continentals and some Dunlop

Ah this be the mx-5 you were talkin about yesterday tony.? Cant beleave how tweakable thay are.

when i got home o promptly mention about one the the missue and well her responce was sort of the same as yours tony :) a little more colourfull though :)

Ah this be the mx-5 you were talkin about yesterday tony.? Cant beleave how tweakable thay are.

when i got home o promptly mention about one the the missue and well her responce was sort of the same as yours tony :) a little more colourfull though :D

Give her a brown ale mate to calm her down :)