The joy of shooting in a strong/gusty wind

Sagitar

Three successive images (at about four frames a second) overlaid to show what happens to the arrow. The target distance is 70 metres.

Was that arrow actually fired at the target? As a matter of interest, where did it finish up?

Was that arrow actually fired at the target? As a matter of interest, where did it finish up?

The lady was shooting (N.B. not firing - you do that with firearms . . . . . :D ) at Target 7 and that is what the arrow eventually struck.

The nearest arrow image shows it about half way to the target and just about to turn over and start to descend. The second and third arrow images show the arrow descending and though it is "fishtailing" in the strong wind, the trajectory being followed by its centre of gravity is on a ballistic curve that leads to the target.

It's a bit like "drifting". The vehicle axis swings about but the c of g goes round the desired curve.

They couldn't of been aiming at targets 6+7, my guess is they landed in the trees. :D

There is only one arrow, I took three pictures of it as it flew.

Here is a pic of the lady scoring her arrows later in the day when she was shooting at a smaller target - you'll get a better idea from this of how far away the trees are.

20100718LongbowScoring.jpg

its a propper bow, unlike the laminate bows or the cam geared modern monsters!

It's a bow that meets the criteria for shooting as a traditional longbow. They are very popular. However, they are almost all backed or laminated these days. It is pretty unusual to see a self-wood bow. There are quite a few shoots restricted to longbows only, but only the Recurve (Freestyle) bow is shot in Olympic competitions.

It's a bow that meets the criteria for shooting as a traditional longbow. They are very popular. However, they are almost all backed or laminated these days. It is pretty unusual to see a self-wood bow. There are quite a few shoots restricted to longbows only, but only the Recurve (Freestyle) bow is shot in Olympic competitions.

I've always wanted a Traditional English Longbow for target shooting (not the warbow), but there seems to be so many makers with such a varied selection of materials that I really don't know what specification would suit.

Do you have any recommendations regarding draw weight, and materials Sagitar? I'm six feet tall and in reasonable physical condition strengthwise, and would be looking at purchasing one of reasonable quality. From various websites it looks as if prices range from £200 -£1000, depending mainly on materials of construction.

I've always wanted a Traditional English Longbow for target shooting (not the warbow), but there seems to be so many makers with such a varied selection of materials that I really don't know what specification would suit.

Do you have any recommendations regarding draw weight, and materials Sagitar? I'm six feet tall and in reasonable physical condition strengthwise, and would be looking at purchasing one of reasonable quality. From various websites it looks as if prices range from �200 -�1000, depending mainly on materials of construction.

I'm sorry Tango, I would find that impossible. There are far too many imponderables and I am not that much of an expert on the longbow. You really need to talk to a range of archers who shoot the longbow seriously (I don't) and maybe get to try a few bows.

If you don't have any contacts of your own, you might try this site and look at some of their events.

There is a well known bowyer called Richard Head, not too far away from you. I believe his site is "english-longbow.co.uk", but I do not know him personally. The one I know best is Pip Bickerstaffe, but he is some way from you, at Kegworth - you will find reference to him on the "Fraternity" site. His bows enjoy a very good reputation and he used to run courses on which individuals got to make their own longbow using a laminated stave provided by Pip - I am not sure whether he still does that. He is a very friendly guy and you might find it worthwhile to give him a call to discuss your needs.

Sorry I can't be more directly helpful.

That arrow looks like it's way off target but I like what you've done with the 3 shots. I was actually reading a thread on another forum yesterday where someone had taken several shots of themselves in the room and layered them so there were several shots of himself in different positions...I'm gonna have to try that.

There is a well known bowyer called Richard Head, not too far away from you. I believe his site is "english-longbow.co.uk", but I do not know him personally.

Sorry I can't be more directly helpful.

Thank you. I looked at Richards site and he's in Melksham which is in the next county, but only 50 miles away. He suggests calling to make an appointment at his workshop. I have a field adjacent to the house that I can set up a target range in and there's a local club that has been established since around 1980 'Bowman of Minchinhampton' so I may call in on one of their club nights as their outdoor range is only 3 miles from home. Can never have too many hobbies, although currently work gets in the way (but not for too much longer :lol: )