Horror of the week 06/04/10

Tony

This Volvo came to us with poor handling and an off-centre steering wheel. Our protocol is to look for obvious defects at the wheels and tyres then measure the chassis then from this image home in to the area of concern for further inspection.

This car had severe NSR toe issues to the sum of 18mm toe-out, this in turn would require the driver to off-set the steering position and gain a new forward position..... But why the rear toe?

Seeming the car recently had rear tyres fitted and the said national fast-fir chain jacked the car up on the lateral arm

post-2-1270581256.jpg

post-2-1270581268.jpg

The results are so dangerous easily resulting in a wet roundabout departure, and yet anyone by law can work on the car despite experience..... It's all wrong.

Totally agree..... welcome to HOTW :o

I bet they removed the jack, saw what they had done and though oh :( I've ;) up, but I won't say anything just let them drive around like that :angry2:

Totally agree..... welcome to HOTW :o

I bet they removed the jack, saw what they had done and though oh :( I've ;) up, but I won't say anything just let them drive around like that :angry2:

Seems that way.... I don't understand why the customer didn't kick up a fuss, but a simple look at the read would have revealed the problem.

...Seems that way.... I don't understand why the customer didn't kick up a fuss, but a simple look at the read would have revealed the problem.

But surely he is kicking up a fuss, now he knows what is wrong?

I just can't believe we still have that sort of incompetence these days.... bet they say all of their guys are trained....

HighlandPete

See this all the time when taking my cars for tyres, I stand over them watching while they figure out where to stick the trolley jack. As soon as I spot danger (usually after they`ve been faffing around for 5 mins) I jump on them and say" I usually stick the jack here, or here or here. I have to get down on all 4`s sometimes.

They just mutter to themsevles, and I feel a git for telling them there job, But at least my cars safe for another 30k,

Until the next time.

I am at the point where i take the tyre off the car myself and take it down to the local tyre place in the other car.......

They usually change it quicker there and then but i then know the car hasn't been messed about with or damaged like that.

It's all wrong though isn't it!!...... I mean i have never seen or heard of an SOP ( Standard Operational Procedure ) from any fast-fit chain regarding jacking points. From this i assume training is just passed down from fitter to fitter? To most young fitters if it looks like metal then it's ok to jack it there, it's a reasonable assumption to the under educated person :lol:

Correct jacking points could hold many pages of "do's and dont's"... Like did you now all Porsche jacking points must have an adapter billet located between the OEM point and the jack?..... They cost £loads and the reason i know that is because we have them, few fast-fit centres would know about them let alone have them.