Ever more ridiculous

Tony

Oh come on is this for real?..... This Micra has more than enough space in the boot for a full size spare so why this.

post-2-1154427836_thumb.jpg

Now the last example was a XK8 with a 285mm width 20" diameter wheel and tyre so a space saver is reasonable...... This Micra has a 175mm 14" diameter wheel and tyre with sufficient space in the boot well for a full size spare..... it doesn't make sense since the wheel is steel not alloy so the production saving must be pennies.... Cost over space over safety in this example is very wrong in my opinion.

i can see the next step will be a rubber strip, for placing around the brake disc, then drive on that :)

are the space savers optional ??

would a customer pay a little extra for an optional full sized wheel ;)

Does the car still drive normally with such a small wheel? It definately doesnt look safe.

I've got another idea for that space saver to save even more space.. Throw the bloody thing away and pray you don't get a puncture. Or if you do phone a tow truck ;)

Ya that takes the biscuit :)

..... surprised to see a 175mm tyre on a micra :) , Is it becoming standard practice for manufacturers to put wider tyres on these days?

My old starlet had 145mm tyres ... ;)

but your not supposed to travel more than 40 mph, and only to get your damaged tyre replaced, the space saver is an emergency repair

i see no problems with them if used as there intended, and not as most use them for, as a SPARE wheel

• 2 weeks later...
but your not supposed to travel more than 40 mph, and only to get your damaged tyre replaced, the space saver is an emergency repair

i see no problems with them if used as there intended, and not as most use them for, as a SPARE wheel

Exactly.

They do the job intended and leave enough room for the shopping plus save a chunk of weight improving performance and MPG.

Tony, i really don't see what your beef is with them. Both examples can obviously handle the cars load as they've made it to you in one piece.

Exactly.

They do the job intended and leave enough room for the shopping plus save a chunk of weight improving performance and MPG.

Tony, i really don't see what your beef is with them. Both examples can obviously handle the cars load as they've made it to you in one piece.

agree with what your saying jon, but say your travelling a fair distance and its past closing time on a sunday, and you need to take motorways to get you home, ....its gonna be a long journey just for the sake of saving a few cubic inches, cant see how the little weight difference would help in anyway at all

Ok, weight maybe not but shopping space on a micra must be paramount considering their target audience?

I once drove 220 miles on a space saver, from south wales to north herts and it wasn't /that/ bad.

How often are these things actually used? I'd expect a lot less often than the boot of a car. Perhaps i'd rather put up with a few hours inconvience than a life of the cars worth.

Exactly.

They are designed as a 'cost saver' and cannot be considered safe in wim's opinion..... Remember most punctures occur at the rear..... most times this is in the wet..... how the 'F.....lying cat' can a contact patch of 255mm and 125mm on a RWD car in these conditions receive applaud from anyone..... I feel aggravated the manufacturer use the SS inappropriatly... Ok on the XK8 there is no room in the boot for a 255mm, but there is room in the Micra for a 175mm. Hence my agitation.

• 1 month later...
What used to make me laugh were Fiats wearing 155/70x13's turning up with a space saver using the same rim just painted red with a stupidly skinny tyre on.

Good!... Finally i have someone who hates the S-saver as much as me..... Like it or not the introduction is a cost saving venture and no matter what anyone says it cannot be truly safe.

What used to make me laugh were Fiats wearing 155/70x13's turning up with a space saver using the same rim just painted red with a stupidly skinny tyre on.

Good!... Finally i have someone who hates the S-saver as much as me..... Like it or not the introduction is a cost saving venture and no matter what anyone says it cannot be truly safe.

Have you seen how much it costs to replace those stupid skinny things though? they charge a fortune for them.

I have a space saver for the TVR but can't get the roof in the boot easy even with it being so skinny so just have a couple of can's of tyre weld instead. Out of interest how do you feel about that self sealing stuff that you fill the tyres with? surely it must put them off balance having a running liquid inside?

Have you seen how much it costs to replace those stupid skinny things though? they charge a fortune for them.

I have a space saver for the TVR but can't get the roof in the boot easy even with it being so skinny so just have a couple of can's of tyre weld instead. Out of interest how do you feel about that self sealing stuff that you fill the tyres with? surely it must put them off balance having a running liquid inside?

Actually the balance is retained? Physics is not my field but the liquid would find the point of least resistance in a centrifugal sphere, a compressive G-force would ensure the liquid is balanced.

Commercial vehicles are now using a heavy weight powder inside their tyres in an attempt to balance the wheels, with disastrous results, can anyone suggest why?

Does it get all clumpy from the moisture in the air in the tyres?

post-2-1159556603_thumb.jpg

Yep!.... Obvious flaw is that the powder would accumulate aided by the moisture in the compressed air. The product is meant to be complimented with dry nitrogen inflation but this was rarely observed so deemed to failure.

wim says: This product, environmentally friendly does work, the failure is the mechanism denying change.... 'US'