Heads up tyre fitters

Tony

The problem fitters now have is in the past the censor was always fitted to steel valves so at least had a clue the car has them.... Reason you need a clue is when they brake the tyre bead it could hit the valve and brake it.

I'm with you...have they done this to save a few pennies?!

Probably... Braking the pick-up could cost £50, so this sudden change to rubber valves really complicates things, plus removing/ fitting the tyre is much more difficult.

The metal valves would always corrode and fail resulting in (I assume) many warranty replacements.

Best to get into the habit of keeping the bead-braker away from the valve on everywheel as it's so easy to forget.

edit: having said that I've often thought the rubber valve meant I was safe to put the breaker wherever.

The metal valves would always corrode and fail resulting in (I assume) many warranty replacements.

Best to get into the habit of keeping the bead-braker away from the valve on everywheel as it's so easy to forget.

I bet KF would reward you well if you bring this to their attention B)

I bet KF would reward you well if you bring this to their attention B)

Like a pat on the back! B)

I bet KF would reward you well if you bring this to their attention :(

Like a pat on the back! :(

Yeah... Like a few extra quid for saving them 1000's.

Yeah... Like a few extra quid for saving them 1000's.

Is that a flying pig!

And what did you get for your 25 years of service at STS?!! :(

£1000 and a fake gold pen.... Oh and i was taxed on the £1000.

On a related note, are aftermarket tyre pressure monitor systems (TPMS) frowned upon by tyre fitters? The gadget freak in me suddenly got an urge to buy a Hella TC-400 TPMS system and get it fitted to my car.

Good for you :whistle: ... In truth they are a superb idea, just a pain when it comes to new tyre time.

Wouldn't it make sense if manufacturers made the tyre valve look different in some way to indicate they had sensors attached?

Yep.... Maybe a colored tip under the dust cap. Every fitter needs to deflate the tyre so this is a good warning area.