MX5 or S2000

Tango

Mrs Tango would like another car and she likes the look of the MX5, but possibly for selfish reasons I'm trying to persuade her into an S2000....am I making a mistake??? Comments/advice appreciated, especially from Janey.... :D

I prefer the S2000 but can be a wee bit tricky in the wet ( rear wheel drive ) MX-5 prob the safer bet.

Used to driving a BMW 7 series and of course the IS200 so don't think another rear wheel drive will phase her too much. :D Guess she prefers the looks of the MX5 to the S2000, and of course it'll have to be the right colour :D . What's the difference performance wise?...She doesn't think the IS200 Sportnav is quick enough.

S2000, but as its for the better half, get her a MX5 then you can do more to your own car :D

Don't know a lot about either model, except I believe the Mk II 1.8 MX5 is the one to go for. Does either of them have a folding metal roof as an option? :D

S2000, but as its for the better half, get her a MX5 then you can do more to your own car :D

Don't know a lot about either model, except I believe the Mk II 1.8 MX5 is the one to go for. Does either of them have a folding metal roof as an option? :D

Yep.... i had a NC in yesterday with a fold down metal roof, impressive mechanism.

Have always loved the S2000 (even Clarkson likes it! :whistle:) but apparently it can be tricky in the wet where as the MX5 is a more neutral and safer handling car. The S2000 is much faster however but the high reving engine might get tiresome??

Get her to drive them both and se which she prefers. Oh……. The S2000 is in the £400/year road tax band too I think and is a Group 20 car insurance wise.

You won't get the metal folding roof with the Mk2 Terry, only an option on the Mk3's. TBH it all depends on what she wants from the car - most of them 1's 2's 2.5's & 3's are all pretty bullet proof engine wise. The problem with the ones with vinyl or mohair roof's is that you have to maually put them up & down which means half the time you just can't be bothered, and when you do have them down for the day & it starts to get damp in for example the evening - they are a pain to put back up LOL I'm really selling this aren't I :unsure:

To be honest if I'd had the choice....I would have gone for a S2000 (wouldn't say no even now)- performance & looks are far better that the 5

(waits to be stoned by 5 owners :whistle: )

You won't get the metal folding roof with the Mk2 Terry, only an option on the Mk3's. TBH it all depends on what she wants from the car - most of them 1's 2's 2.5's & 3's are all pretty bullet proof engine wise. The problem with the ones with vinyl or mohair roof's is that you have to maually put them up & down which means half the time you just can't be bothered, and when you do have them down for the day & it starts to get damp in for example the evening - they are a pain to put back up LOL I'm really selling this aren't I :D

To be honest if I'd had the choice....I would have gone for a S2000 (wouldn't say no even now)- performance & looks are far better that the 5

(waits to be stoned by 5 owners :unsure: )

Thanks Janey, but I think the electrically operated tin top on the Mk3 is going to tip the balance towards the 2.0 litre MX5 :whistle: . I think the S2000 roof is also electrically operated, but it's a rag top. Guess the first trip fpr an MX-5 will be to WIM to lower and/or correct the geometry. :D

S2000 for the win LoL Got one of the best engines out there, might not be great for her but i'm sure you'll like it much more than a MX5, dont let her be the "typical" woman and get a MX5 (no offence Janey :whistle: ) persuade her to be different and get the S2k

Ahh well if you're now talking about the 2.0 Mk3 then I'm with your wife Terry :)

Hand it to Tony for coils, lowering &(as standard it looks like a boat) geo and I think both of you will be happy :rolleyes:

@ Ellz...no offence taken (I'll just thump you when I see you next ;)) to be honest you'll be suprised that the majority of 5 drivers are actually men ;) you get 3 types....the ones who love the 'classic' style and potter about at weekends & the ones who love the classic but also the handling & the ability to mildly mod & 'play' if you so wish, then you get he ones who mod it & shove a turbo or s/c on and play full time :)

If you like gear changing ALOT drive an S2000, I never had to rag the nutz off something to get the performance out of it. A real brute of a car that's a tad twitchy. MX5 is a lot slower of course but less working the gears and it feels better to drive, although looks wise the S2000 does have it.

Pop on www.s2ki.com - they are a great bunch of people.

• 4 weeks later...
You won't get the metal folding roof with the Mk2 Terry, only an option on the Mk3's. TBH it all depends on what she wants from the car - most of them 1's 2's 2.5's & 3's are all pretty bullet proof engine wise. The problem with the ones with vinyl or mohair roof's is that you have to maually put them up & down which means half the time you just can't be bothered, and when you do have them down for the day & it starts to get damp in for example the evening - they are a pain to put back up LOL I'm really selling this aren't I :D

(waits to be stoned by 5 owners :D )

Here comes the stones, lol.

I've had a 2.5 and now have a 3 with soft tops and in both cars it takes me at least 3 seconds to put the roof down, while still sat in the car and the same to put it up, while still sat in the car. So I wouldnt really call it a pain.

MX5 everytime, besides, the S2000 is considerably more expensive for the same aged, spec'd car

• 4 weeks later...

I drove the S2000 and then bought the MX-5! lol

The S2000 may be faster on paper but with all the high revs to get it going you will find the MX-5 is faster most of the time. The interior is nicer, it is more comfortable, cheaper to run, insure and tax and I think it looks pretty good too.

Oh and when I get the Cosworth fitted there is no way a S2000 will be faster any way you look at it and it will have still cost me £6,000 less than an S2000 but with much more power and more usable. Not that you missus is likely to want to get it supercharged! lol

Just my 2p stickign up for the under dog.

The S2000 may be faster on paper but with all the high revs to get it going you will find the MX-5 is faster most of the time. The interior is nicer, it is more comfortable, cheaper to run, insure and tax and I think it looks pretty good too.

Oh and when I get the Cosworth fitted there is no way a S2000 will be faster any way you look at it and it will have still cost me £6,000 less than an S2000 but with much more power and more usable. Not that you missus is likely to want to get it supercharged! lol

A Brit friend of mine and his wife, both Brits now living here in Texas, have his & hers MX-5's in their garage. Hers is normally aspirated, but his is a Mazspeed version with a Turbo. I think this was a limited edition, and not sure if any made it to Europe? Took it out for a blast, and it was really twitchy on the back end with the power it was attempting to put down.

A Brit friend of mine and his wife, both Brits now living here in Texas, have his & hers MX-5's in their garage. Hers is normally aspirated, but his is a Mazspeed version with a Turbo. I think this was a limited edition, and not sure if any made it to Europe? Took it out for a blast, and it was really twitchy on the back end with the power it was attempting to put down.

Needs a Geo :D

One good person to talk to would be suzy bee, on planet (planetmx5.com/forum) or MX5oc forum, she has both an S2000k and a Le Mans edition of the MX5, which is a 1.6 with a BBR turbo, some body kit and an argyle pattern paint job. The paint job and the car were done as a limited edition to celebrate Mazda winning Le Mans, the paint job replicating that of the winning car. I believe that there are only 22 or thereabouts known to be in existence, of the 24 made originally, some resprayed back by the retailer to normal colours as they couldn't shift them due to the paint job!

Le Mans winning 787B Rotary Engine

http://1.2.3.9/bmi/www.mx5-mazda.co.uk/ima...20MANS/787B.jpg

MX5 Le Mans.

http://1.2.3.10/bmi/roadsport.co.uk/lemans...tures/mx5_2.jpg

h