Horror of the week 22/08/08

Tony

As some may know our tyre changer "the Boss" is a touchless tyre changer other than a soft plastic dye that grabs the wheels centre

post-2-1219433431.jpg

That's all good and well unless it does this to the wheel

post-2-1219433566.jpg

post-2-1219433588.jpg

post-2-1219433611.jpg

The wheel "was" a light weight motorsport alloy and very expensive and it's for this reason why we bought the BOSS so that we don't damage the alloy.

Obviously i will replace the wheel but that's beside the point, it makes us look bad and the customer is inconvenienced.

So in a suitably miffed frame of mind i contacted the manufacture and said "oi your machine is crap" and a few less mild descriptions.

Anyway they are coming down on Tues to inspect the hydraulic valves that control the pressure of the "grasp" mechinisam.

What they don't know is if they say the valves are defective then they can mend them and have the bill for the new wheel... and if the valves are not defective they can have the bill for the wheel and take the 10k machine with them :unsure:

That don't look clever :unsure:

Is it not possible the wheel may have had a weak spot in the damaged area?

Still, can't fill you with much confidence can it...if it's found faulty will you be keeping it then?

That don't look clever :unsure:

Is it not possible the wheel may have had a weak spot in the damaged area?

Still, can't fill you with much confidence can it...if it's found faulty will you be keeping it then?

The wheel fractured in to many places to be a week spot so i feel the machine is at fault.

The "grab" system is automatic as far as pressure is concerned so if the machine is in design order then i don't want it simple as that.... Having to second guess if the wheel is strong enough to go on the machine wasn't something i expected to calculate.

Ouch! Back to the spoons now then tony :huh:

At the moment it would appear so :huh:

The design of that wheel is pretty poor in my opinion as that lip isn't going to take any load at all. Why is it raised that way as it doesn't appear to have any useful function? I wouldn't go too hard on the BOSS at the mo as it wouldn't take a lot of tensile loading on the mandrel to exert an awful lot more at right angles to the taper (which transmits to a shear load on that thin raised section thickness of the alloy). Bit cruel to call the wheel a crap design, but it doesn't lend itself to any kind of centralising tapered mandrel that you'd expect to find on most balancing and machines and tyre changers.

it looks a bit like a Volk CE-28n...and if it was i t is magnesium alloy

but it could just be a wheel very similar, ....the center bolt holes look slightly different

If it is a magnesium alloy casting I'm not surprised it sheared as although it's a lot lighter than say 6061 aluminium alloy, it's two thirds the density of aluminium, and the same figure applies for to it's shear modulus properties (and aluminium alloy isn't that brilliant).. No, I don't think The BOSS can be really blamed.

The mandrel's duty on this wheel is to hold the centre cap, on hindsight it's obvious tapered pressure from the BOSS would be an issue but since we believed the BOSS to be 100% wheel friendly it never entered our minds.

Tuesday the valving's being tested on the BOSS so we will see :huh:

The mandrel's duty on this wheel is to hold the centre cap, on hindsight it's obvious tapered pressure from the BOSS would be an issue but since we believed the BOSS to be 100% wheel friendly it never entered our minds.

It's only an issue when you've got a raised thin wall like you have on that wheel. Is it just to raise the centre cap above the bolt face? Cannot see why it's designed that way. On a normal square shoulder you'd never have a problem, even if they're magnesium alloy.

It's only an issue when you've got a raised thin wall like you have on that wheel. Is it just to raise the centre cap above the bolt face? Cannot see why it's designed that way. On a normal square shoulder you'd never have a problem, even if they're magnesium alloy.

Seemingly it's nothing more than a cosmetic "stylistic" centre cap holder..... Issue i have is there's no streagnth in the design since it's cosmetic. Catch 22 for me but a learning curve since the BOSS has a unique "grasp" of the wheels.

Live and learn comes to mind but a heads up from the manafaturure would have been nice!!

• 2 weeks later...

hey tony.....sorry to hear of this. It does look like the lip is mainly for cosmetic reasons and hence the shear....could the Boss not be adapted to use a Haweka centring system that holds through the bolt holes?

Tuesday the valving's being tested on the BOSS so we will see :lol:

Seemingly it's nothing more than a cosmetic "stylistic" centre cap holder..... Issue i have is there's no streagnth in the design since it's cosmetic. Catch 22 for me but a learning curve since the BOSS has a unique "grasp" of the wheels.

Live and learn comes to mind but a heads up from the manafaturure would have been nice!!

@alnug

Possibly but it would be expensive... The machines valves where tested and although the "grab" valve was ok this valve on the lift was defective, they said it shouldn't effect the grab but they paid for the wheel which tells me it would :lol: