Run flats

parthiban

Can WIM fit run flat tyres to a BMW? Sorry if it's a dumb question but is there any actual difference in fitting between a normal tyre and the Bridgestone run flats fitted to BMWs?

Only reason I ask is that my brother a few days ago paid £270 to have one new tyre fitted to his Z4 :lol:

Surely there must be another way! The tyres cost £190 from Camskill so all depends on the fitting cost......... :whistle:

Yep we can fit them £15+ :lol:

Is that £15 + something or just a typo? :whistle:

As long as it's not £15 + £50 then it should be ok :o

Cheers Tony, I'll pass that on so he knows for next time........

£15+ vat :lol:

Don't forget it takes "THE BOSS" to fit them perfectly :)

Oh yeah, the BOSS, worth paying the price just to see it in action! :(

Is it true companies won't repair run flats now? Due to the unknown ( how long it's been driven and at what speed tec. ).

From what I've heard as well run flats can't be repaired, but not sure if I heard that from Tony :)

Is it true companies won't repair run flats now? Due to the unknown ( how long it's been driven and at what speed tec. ).

The problem is they cannot test the sidewall for damage without X raying the tyre so once flat they are deemed as scrap..... It's for this reason and many more why i despise run flats :(

The problem is they cannot test the sidewall for damage without X raying the tyre so once flat they are deemed as scrap..... It's for this reason and many more why i despise run flats :(

I've gotta say except the really poor comfort, I don't mind runflats - a year ago my bro had a blow out at high speed on the motorway but in the car all that happened was we heard a loud "pop" and the warning indicator came on........that is life saving technology in my view.

I just wish they'd speed up on the development of them though to iron out the problems with comfort - cost is also an issue but as they become more widely used this will come down.

What I really despise is the more common trend now of the "space saver" spare wheel! What are you supposed to do with the real wheel once you've changed on to this? I'd probably rather have the runflat! :)

My hatred is mirrored in your comments "comfort/ cost" then the fact they are scrap when punctured and finally handling.... Other than that they are great :(

Yep fair point, the comfort is a big problem, the Z4 is horrendously uncomfortable, have been in a Z4M which doesn't have runflats but despite the more focused suspension it was so much more comfortable :)

My hatred is mirrored in your comments "comfort/ cost" then the fact they are scrap when punctured and finally handling.... Other than that they are great :(

Yep fair point, the comfort is a big problem, the Z4 is horrendously uncomfortable, have been in a Z4M which doesn't have runflats but despite the more focused suspension it was so much more comfortable :)

Here is another problem.....

post-2-1217531304.jpg they crack the wheels!!

How did that happen? :(

Usual run of the mill road trauma, problem is unlike other tyres the RFT has no give in the wall so the energy from a pothole is transmitted straight to the wheel.... In addition the wheels are light weight in order to compensate for the tyres solid wall and keep unsprung weight down.

Wow that is bad, why has the wheel maintained shape and just cracked rather than bend in at that point like my wheels did? Or maybe you've just answered that by the fact the run flats are so rigid that they themselves don't bend and simply transfer all the force straight through to the wheel...........

Hmmm, how do you know if that happens? I assume you can't really tell from the way that wheel looks unless you take it off and check?

Like i said there hasn't been any official reason given so i'm drawing my own conclusions since the wheels are not dented....... and yes mate you would need to remove the wheel.

• 7 months later...

Got RFL's on T180 Rav4 - GTi diesel 4x4 with 180bhp that's a surprise to many, yet will do 38mpg as easy to freewheel! Thus love this car!

However RFL's ARE a problem!

1. Recently warning light on every Monday morning, check pressures and cures. Toyota to cure with £150 new valve!

2. Only Toyota can change in my area and they have to order in!

It is way to go though and hopeful quality will improve and more can change!

Friend of friend was changing tyre roadside, hit by fire engine, killed his brother and left him having to learn to walk/talk again - he's only early 30's and disabled for life and will never drive again! (Many just steer, not drive, why speed camera's make money and are kept, if driving NOT steering you see it before it sees you!)

Some valid points there findus.... But until the visible costs are addressed to the majority then the RFT will be seen as a nemesis. I think you will agree many topics displayed in wim shows much displeasure of the RFT.

Other issues now arise where owners cannot afford the cost of the RFT or are so fed up with the ride they are fitting normal tyres to the car, well this is worrying since the suspension is designed for the harsh RFT, so we now have another set of potentially dangerous problems that may result in the loss of life for very different reasons.

My RFL's were fitted as new/part of my vehicle, thus has no where to add a spare wheel - on the Rav4 no spare wheel on the back door allows the door to open wider/lighter.

The less spec Rav4 XTR's now have 17inch wheels and a puncture repair kit. Thus get a flat/puncture/loss of air pressure, tyre has to be totally deflated and the gunk canister applied, hence it is a new tyre. Whereas with RFL's there is a chance it can be repaired/reused. Yes we could leave the gunk in and not replace the wheel, who will know and the tyre is essentially solid now puncture proof? However as the once innocent driver in a serious car smash (I did all I could to avoid but a collision still happened!), the Police/investigation take your car to bits/analyse your service records and such could be used against you in a Court of UK law! I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, 5 secs quicker I'd be dead, 5 secs slower just a witness, BEEP happens?

Why I love the T180 with its RFL's, it has start/stop button where pad only needs to be in the vehicle i.e. your pocket/bag/etc - if the pad is in the vehicle it won't lock either. This is another safety device as the ignition key of my car smacked my right knee in the above head on. My right knee now clicks when I walk, goes stiff without exercise, as a tendon got knocked out of place - think pulley's of a crane where one gets twisted, it will jump/skip/jam? Saab's have a gearbox ignition not just as security locking it in reverse, but its a safety feature.

It's obvious you are an avid RFT supporter and it's good to have a passionate opinion from someone who can see positive points. Please understand i/we are equally supportive of products that saves lives, tyres, belts, keys or whatever, but it's equally wise to expose the downsides.

Got a good contact at Bridgestone - had a disagreement with Toyota on first tyre change, they claimed the inner support was cracked on the RFL's so had to be replaced - cost £270 per tyre! Investigated this myself and found that the inner support ONLY needs changing IF the tyre has RUN FLAT - mine didn't. Got Bridgestone involved who inspected the tyre and concluded Toyota damaged it changing it! Thus Toyota refunded me £90 - I don't loose easily!

Hence querying the valve that Toyota says needs replacing with Bridgestone, they've given me the name of Kingsway Tyres who are NOW trained on RFL's (Kingway are part of Bridgetone), thus to take it to a local centre for a 2nd opinion. Toyota may loose out again?

Am surprised Toyota haven't learnt yet doing business with me, as when I bought my vehicle I screwed them for a £4000 discount and got it from my local dealer on a single sale. Buying a new car check www.ukcarbroker.com prices against the local dealer's!