TDi Dyno meet

Tony

Lee whatever it was must have been a one-off..... If not owners saying "my car caught fire" would be splashed all over LOC.

Not necesserily Tony, LOCs not like it used to be, some things get covered up very well.

Perhaps it was a one off, but whats to say it won't happen again, I still think that if it was a standard part and it caught fire and the modifications played no part in it then it should be reported to be fully investigated.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lee whatever it was must have been a one-off..... If not owners saying "my car caught fire" would be splashed all over LOC.

Not necesserily Tony, LOCs not like it used to be, some things get covered up very well.

Perhaps it was a one off, but whats to say it won't happen again, I still think that if it was a standard part and it caught fire and the modifications played no part in it then it should be reported to be fully investigated.

If i recall the thread correctly in LOC it was part of a "trader bashing" episode :) ..... I honestly think you are worrying unneccarily.

Modifying an engine affects everything under the hood. If not directly, indirectly with the extra heat produced from turbos / superchargers / more abuse.

Inevitably modified cars will spend far more time than stock cars with their hoods up and grease monkeys under the bonnet knocking stuff about. They will generally also spend more time on harsh rolling roads and being abuse to show off to mates.

The very act of driving is loaded with risk. The probability of getting hit by a 3rd party is extremely high in comparison with random mechanical failures.

If you want to be safe plumb in a fire supression system like i have on my (heavily modified) track car. Even stock engines have been known to catch fire for no reason.

If i recall the thread correctly in LOC it was part of a "trader bashing" episode :) ..... I honestly think you are worrying unneccarily.

Thats what the admin called it yeah :)

This is a little more serious though mate, but without knowing exactly what part caught fire and why then i'm going to keep worrying everytime I drive the car, luckily I have an extinguisher (Law when traveling through Europe).

Modifying an engine affects everything under the hood. If not directly, indirectly with the extra heat produced from turbos / superchargers / more abuse.

Inevitably modified cars will spend far more time than stock cars with their hoods up and grease monkeys under the bonnet knocking stuff about. They will generally also spend more time on harsh rolling roads and being abuse to show off to mates.

The very act of driving is loaded with risk. The probability of getting hit by a 3rd party is extremely high in comparison with random mechanical failures.

If you want to be safe plumb in a fire supression system like i have on my (heavily modified) track car. Even stock engines have been known to catch fire for no reason.

So whats wrong with telling me the part that caught fire? My car is modified, not excessively but it is worrying now. Mark insists it was to do with the mods though.

If a car caught fire for a mechanical reason it would be investigated by the Insurance at least.

I will be contacting Lexus GB in the morning

tdi-plc said

No Paul, it didn't have any serious heat issues or a few fires, that I know of anyway, but then we haven't seen the car for a couple of years or so.

I know of one small engine bay fire that was caused by the failure of a standard component.

I don't believe this has any association with the integrity of the standard connecting rods

I want an explanation from them as to why I can't find any recall notices for the IS200,which I can't but may have found a duff site.

I've also confirmed my booking at my local dealer for 11 am this Saturday. So will report back what they find.

What still baffles me is why tdi-plc will not say what part failed. this would put my mind,and any IS200 lurkers out there, at rest. I say this as if it was a Lexus part then no-one could say it was poor workmanship by tdi-plc.

Does anyone know of any other lexus component failure while we are on the subject ?

Does anyone know of any other lexus component failure while we are on the subject ?

actually yes, non were recalls, however the is300 was recalled for an ECU flash

primary cat failing, premature

excessive tyre wear front wheel inside edge

addition of brace floor to frame

fuel level sender sticking

coolant pump seals weeping

paint chip and body corrosion

alloy wheel corrosion

early radio CD mechanism jamming

headlight condensation

actually yes, non were recalls, however the is300 was recalled for an ECU flash

primary cat failing, premature

excessive tyre wear front wheel inside edge

addition of brace floor to frame

fuel level sender sticking

coolant pump seals weeping

paint chip and body corrosion

alloy wheel corrosion

early radio CD mechanism jamming

headlight condensation

Was this in the UK Mat?

Do you know if it affected the IS200 as well?

this was in the Uk, and all but what i mentioned for the is300, was for the is200

i, get hold of the TSB from Lexus (technical service Bulletins )

Hmmm, wonder if they'll do anything about my fuel sender sticking.

Noticed it a few times now, when I fill up it says its still on quarter full :)

It's interesting how this thread has turned into a negativity thread towards TDi ?

It's also interesting how anyone can find a members post liable for there own 'personal' car setting on fire, although it has never been to TDi?

But what I find even more so interesting, is that 'merchantbanker' has the same I.P address of a member who Trades on LOC.

A 2 year old child? - That's even more interesting.

Oh well, I'll say no more ..... :)

It's interesting how this thread has turned into a negativity thread towards TDi ?

It's also interesting how anyone can find a members post liable for there own 'personal' car setting on fire, although it has never been to TDi?

But what I find even more so interesting, is that 'merchantbanker' has the same I.P address of a member who Trades on LOC.

Would this be the same LOC Trader that was banned from WIM? :)

May I ask what has happened to the WIM Mods - hasn't this been take somewhat off topic, and have any warnings been given?

Would this be the same Trader that was banned from WIM? :)

May I ask what has happened to the WIM Mods - hasn't this been take somewhat off topic, and have any warnings been given?

i am here all but struggling to type, let alone use a mouse !

yes !

indefinate non-posting rights applied

yes this topic has been taken "off topic", the introduction of the IS200 with pulley upgrade appears to be the main diversion, posted by yourself ! which is why it remained

Oh well, I'll say no more ..... ;)

Would this be the same Trader that was banned from WIM? :unsure:

yes !

indefinate posting rights applied

Thanks for the confirmtion on the warnings Bazza :)

The only outstanding issue is whether Merchantbanker is the LOC Trader who was banned from WIM. Please confrirm - thanks :)

Oh well, I'll say no more ..... ;)

yes !

The only outstanding issue is whether Merchantbanker is the LOC Trader who was banned from WIM. Please confrirm - thanks :)

sorry edited above post as you posted

Would this be the same Trader that was banned from WIM? ;)

yes !

It looks like you forgot to write something Bazza :unsure:

Would this be the same Trader that was banned from WIM? ;)

yes !

It looks like you forgot to write something Bazza :unsure:

:)

altered

sorry but am struggling with using only left hand at the moment

i am here all but struggling to type, let alone use a mouse !

yes !

indefinate non-posting rights applied

yes this topic has been taken "off topic", the introduction of the IS200 with pulley upgrade appears to be the main diversion, posted by yourself ! which is why it remained

can we start again from here ;)

I think we all know what merchat banker is rhyming slang for, and I find it encouraging that there appears to be a self awareness of his own status.

If he has any doubts or concerns about the work that we did on the car in question, I suggest he looks on his own doorstep because the person responsible for the work on that car now works for him, after being sacked from TDI for thieving and other dishonest activities.

Thanks for the confirmtion on the warnings Bazza ;)

The only outstanding issue is whether Merchantbanker is the LOC Trader who was banned from WIM.

I agree, warnings should be given if posts take it off topic.

Huh, I thought the outstanding issue is what part caught fire and why :unsure:

Which we still have not had a straight answer for.

Not sure where you got that from mate. It has been stated that a standard part caught fire on a car, whether it was having work done or not people should be made aware of which part and a possible reason for it, surely not too much to ask :unsure:

Not sure where you got that from mate. It has been stated that a standard part caught fire on a car, whether it was having work done or not people should be made aware of which part and a possible reason for it, surely not too much to ask :unsure:

Lee,

It's not rocket science.

The member that was causing so much fuss about 'what' happened and 'how' is somene who quite clearly sees TDi as a threat to their revenue / business.

It was mentioned on many occasions by Mark that the car was unique, and that there is no reason for concern.

What is the problem ? - Several years ago I was sat in an UNMODIFIED VW CORRADO VR6 when it set alight, because of a STANDARD component.

Please see the link I have provided as evidence of that fact.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QWNet1uQ4_M

This thread has gone way off topic anyway, and is far from a Dyno Meet Image bank, if anyone has any questions they want to ask TDi then start a new thread or ring them. There contact details can be found on www.tdi-plc.com

Ahmet.