Mk3 Focus new front tyres and alignment

Gman

True , it's getting silly now to the point where its getting dangerous!

When driving tonight when accelerating gently then slowing down the car pulled severely to the left... ??

I'm struggling to understand this issue ....

The steering is very heavy too ..

Yes it would be if it was a default part but it's been caused by a impact so they won't do it under warranty.. believe me I have tried!

May try the insurance route ..

I forgot this all started after hitting a pothole, what a PITA! As Tony said maybe a used or reconditioned one will be cheaper fitted by an indy garage.

Yes it's be a real pain for a month or more now...

If I had more time to source a reconditioned rack I would but my wife needs the car back ASAP to go to work and ferry kids about.

The rack is unserviceable so a new one is the only option.

I'm just hoping this will be the end of it ..

New rack fitted ...yes it's Better but the car still doesn't feel how it did before 🙄 ...

I'd be interested to see what toe settings are on the front pretty sure it's still toeing in as that what Ford seem to recommend..

• 2 weeks later...

Still having issues with this ... car is very hard to turn in to a corner under steers a lot a feels like it just wants to go straight!!

I've contacted the Ford dealer and they seem unwilling to help further without it costing me more money!!!

Could I ask a favour as I seem to keep getting different specs (within range ) for the alignment .

I'd be interested to see what it says on your data base?

Thanks

Yes they did drive it and said the steering rack was at fault.

So new rack fitted at a cost of £1300 !

They apparently test drove the car after the new rack was fitted and said all was fine.

Though this doesn't account for much cause they done the same first time round with they recailbrated the sensors and said it was ok now.

The car is to me not much better with the new rack fitted it still pulls left and right , heavy steering, under steers and tram lines a lot on broken surfaces.

So £1300 later the car is not much better

I'm contacting Ford HQ on the matter.

the bit that gets me is the fact it pulls left and right. An incorrect chassis is a constant meaning it could go left or right but not both. A pull suggests energy reacting at the steering or the need to act on the steering to maintain the desired line. In the event it's a worn or defective part i would assume this would already been found. Historically this type of complaint falls toward a defective rack/ pump or steering position sensor. Has the car had the ECU read?

Reminds me of the "good old days" of worm and peg steering.

As soon as the worm or the peg wore (which they did very quickly) they would pull to the left and/or pull to the right but never stay in the middle. Steering was a continuous process of correction.

Blimey that's going back some but at least in them days they was repairable roadside.

Can't remember the last vehicle I had with worm and peg. I certainly had it on a big Ford around 1960 (Mk II Zephyr?) but I bought it second hand so manufacture date would be earlier.