When does a model aircraft cease to be a model?

Tango

I fly large models with the LMA (Large Model Association), but some people are going to extremes :lol:

I'd call this borderline:-

post-62-0-17340300-1442941398.jpg

But this is getting a bit silly as the full size Pitts isn't an awful lot bigger.post-62-0-07365400-1442941518.jpg

post-62-0-98487400-1442941559.jpg

You have to build them Rich. There's a lot of 'ARTF's available to buy (Almost Ready To Fly), but the LMA aircraft are self build ('scratch' built) from a variety of materials, but mainly plywood and balsa. I'm in the process of building a scale Bristol Beaufighter that will have two 38cc petrol engines and a wingspan of just under 10 feet, which is small compared to some. Probably a two year build as I'm making most of the hardware too (retracting main undercarriage and tailwheel etc.). My build size is currently limited to what I can carry in my Mondeo Estate car, but it has a towbar so plans are afoot for a custom trailer.

Not sure of the scale of the Pitts bi-plane in the pics, but the biggest one in the UK is 87% full size and has a 650cc petrol engine in it. Took the guy 5 years to build from scratch.

post-62-0-23608500-1443024071.jpg

Finished a large aerobatic model last week that has a 55cc petrol engine in it, guess all up cost is around £1200.00 for airframe materials, engine and on-board electronics, but that doesn't include the cost of the transmitter. Maiden flight this week-end if the weather is OK. Usual wobbly knees for first flight I expect :D.

10 foot wingspan?! Christ.. My knees would be all over the place.iwas scared enough flying my 3.35m (which i guess is around 11foot) glider..

Mine only weighs 3.5kg fufw. Its a big heavy sod.

Whats the weight of your aerobatic model and why havent you provided pics yet :D