can anyone guess what this is?

Its a very cheap FPV system. All in has cost me around £100 including batteries and newer better quality antennas.

Range on this system should be ~1500m clear LOS.

There is a 5" HD screen in the polystyrene head set with a 3x mag fresnel lense.

Most of this has been cobbled together from parts purchased seperately.. I could have got similar kit to this but the screen res and camera quality would have been very poor in comparison.

Its a starter to get me in to fpv before i go and spend £250 on a pair of decent goggles i thought i would give this a go first.

I will be too Rich.

So far i have had my plane as almost a dot in the sky.. (really having to pay attention to orientation).

Considering the wing span is 3.35m i think it was circa 1000ft up.

Im hoping to go higher with the fpv and feel safer doing so. It will also allow me to explore the surrounding area with a little more comfort as i dont like it yet when shes starts to get rather small on the horizon.

From previous video footage it really is not far, but from the ground she seems miles away.

Hopefully this will give me more comfort to go higher and father away from me and allow me to gain a greater control on her glide slope to ensure i can stay inthe air longer.

One problem i have at the moment is when she is very high up it is very difficult to judge what glide angle i am at

So far i have had my plane as almost a dot in the sky.. (really having to pay attention to orientation).

Considering the wing span is 3.35m i think it was circa 1000ft up.

Im hoping to go higher with the fpv and feel safer doing so. It will also allow me to explore the surrounding area with a little more comfort as i dont like it yet when shes starts to get rather small on the horizon.

Sorry Adam, but it's illegal to fly FPV over 1000 feet. Hopefully you've read the rest of the latest legal requirements from the Civil Aviation Authority regarding FPV, and in particular, paras 3b, 4a and 4c http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/1108.pdf

Interesting. I thought the hight limit was 1500ft with fpv.

Basically the guidelines are i cant fly over 1000ft and my observer must be able to keep track of the plane without any visual aid

Thats not too much of a deal then, i dont plan on flying around the county

Tango .

It will be interesting to take my glider to 1000ft and remove the goggles and see what size she appears in the sky

It will be interesting to see if i can fly higher without fpv or not.

Seems odd to put a 1000ft ceiling on fpv when you can fly a model without fpv higher?

Unless the model weighs over 7 kg, in which case you cannot fly over 400 feet...see below extract from British Model Flying Association Rules Handbook. Lighter models still have to be in visual sight anyway, FPV or not.

THESE APPLY TO ALL MODEL AIRCRAFT AT ALL TIMES, WHATEVER THEIR WEIGHT OR SIZE.
Article 166, (Small Unmanned Aircraft)
(1) A person shall not cause or permit any article or animal (whether or not attached to a parachute) to be dropped from a small unmanned aircraft so as to endanger persons or property
(2) The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft may only fly the aircraft if reasonably satisfied that the flight can safely be made.
(3) The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft must maintain direct, unaided visual contact with the aircraft sufficient to monitor its flight path in relation to other aircraft, persons, vehicles, vessels and structures for the purpose of avoiding collisions.
(4) The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft which has a mass of more than 7 kg excluding its fuel but including any articles or equipment installed or attached to the aircraft at the commencement of its flight, must not fly the aircraft .
(a) in Class A, C, D or E airspace unless the permission of the appropriate air traffic control unit has been obtained.
(effectively in any controlled airspace down to ground level - Ed)
(b within an aerodrome traffic zone during the notified hours of watch of the air traffic control unit (if any) at that aerodrome unless the permission of any such air traffic control unit has been obtained; or
© at a height of more than 400 ft above the surface unless it is flying in airspace described in sub-paras (a) or (b and in accordance with the requirements for that airspace.
(i.e. in any uncontrolled airspace. A further point is that ‘above the surface’ means ‘above the point of launch from the ground’ and this has been clarified with the CAA on several occasions - Ed).
(5) The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft must not fly the aircraft for the purposes of aerial work except in accordance with a permission granted by the CAA.
(Section 5 doesn’t affect you unless you are flying your model commercially for ‘valuable consideration’ - Ed).
Article 167, (Small unmanned surveillance aircraft)
(1) The person in charge of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly the aircraft in any of the circumstances described in paragraph (2) except in accordance with a permission issued by the CAA.
(2) The circumstances referred to in paragraph (1) are :-
(a) over or within 150 metres of any congested area;
(b over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons;
© within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft; or
(d) subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), within 50 metres of any person.
(3) Subject to paragraph (4), during take-off or landing, a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person.
(4) Paragraphs (2)(d) and (3) do not apply to the person in charge of the small unmanned surveillance aircraft or a person under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft.
(5) In this article ‘a small unmanned surveillance aircraft’ means a small unmanned aircraft which is equipped to undertake any form of surveillance or data acquisition.
NOTE: The provision of data solely for the use of monitoring the model is not considered to be applicable to the meaning of ‘surveillance or data acquisition’.
BMFA