The Mercs at the dealers today for a service, got a call a short while ago saying it has an oil leak which needs investigating - was a little unconvinced so asked whether it was a weep or a proper leak, to which they replied there is a considerable amount of oil. I questioned if there was that much oil coming out, why is there nothing on my drive, which was fluffed off with some comment about underbody covers.

Asked for photos to be sent by email, said yes but nothing has arrived so far (this was a few hours ago). What are we thinking, could there be a genuine leak or are they just scamming for additional work?

Well if they were scamming they'd have to cut a pipe or loosen the sump now.

Did they say where it was coming from?

That's the worst part, they haven't actually looked at all - just said there's a lot of oil around the sump. The investigation is yet to be carried out, and they will be calling late morning tomorrow to let us know what the issue is.

Just nip up the bolts =£0.... I've done this 100's of times when servicing cars as part of the Tony service. Remember over time the cork or rubber gasket goes hard so when the sump does though a heat cycle it leaks.

Just nip up the bolts =£0.... I've done this 100's of times when servicing cars as part of the Tony service. Remember over time the cork or rubber gasket goes hard so when the sump does though a heat cycle it leaks.

Yep, that's the Mercedes way unfortunately. Although I got the impression they'll be removing the sump and replacing the gasket, not just tightening it up?

Had a good nose around a £120k matt silver G63 that was in the showroom, definitely one for the dream garage  :D

You usually use a liquid sealant now so that wont work

Is the liquid sealant why it could have failed? The Lexus is older and hasn't had a leaky sump. The Merc is 10 years old which is old, but nowadays cars don't seem to suffer these kinds of issues much.

In fact watching "how it's made" it's surprising how much glue is used in cars now, in some instances even metal to metal is glued rather than welded. Have glues moved on so much that they are as strong and long lasting as a weld or is this going to impact longevity?

True but this is an older car.

Aint old enough to use cork gaskets LOL !

Most of the engine is sealed with liquid sealant , its rare to use a gasket nowadays these liquids are so good and manufacturing tolerances are so accurate to produce flat sealing faces that why you rarely see a leaking gasket

Sometimes things just fail though

I would have just taken the car home, bought new oil and RTV Sealant (I use V-Tech black), plus the rubber gasket if it has one there and do it myself  :) 

The longest part will be cleaning the surface properly to ensure the new RTV sticks nicely to it (I've just recently done this for my rocker valve cover and drilled out the old grommets, popped in ones that wont die after a couple of years).

Clean up the pan after re-fitting and torquing the bolts, fire it up after the sealant has cured (24hrs), ensure it's not leaking after idling for a bit. Go for a short drive, check it again... then a week later for any signs of leaking, sorted.

Ask them what they have done specifically though.