Fort William Run - 14/3/15.......

Tony

Well, that's interesting. Admittedly I didn't have the sound up loud, so may have missed a duff gearchange but other than probably exceeding the speed limits in places I didn't see any other obvious illegal, dangerous or antisocial behaviour at all.

What I did see was a lad out with some others (probably on a semi-organised run) in a quick car that was well driven on good fast, flowing A roads in good weather conditions.

There was no blind overtaking, he got back within the double white lines in time, he was very aware of all the other traffic in front and behind (you can see him indicate left to allow a faster car & bike to overtake him).

At first I thought he was going to drive one-handed but once up to speed his hand positions and steering use was very good - smooth, positive and in control.

He used his hazards to give a quick couple of flashes on a couple of occasions to say thankyou to the vans that he'd overtaken, just like you do on a track day.

There was no tail gating or otherwise traffic-hassling manoevers, no loud "bangin' toons, man!" to distract him or annoy the public, no mad wheel-spinning or over-revving, no abusive hand or verbal gestures.

The speed aspect is a social technicality. We all know that the 70 limit on a straight, empty, motorway is just downright frustrating for a modern car and that exceeding that speed won't be the end of the world. Exceeding that speed on other roads is also not necessarily very dangerous - it all depends on the conditions.

Haven't you ever popped past a few cars in a queue behind a caravan so you can get on with enjoying your drive, rather than being a sheep and plodding along?

It's interesting how we all have different views of the same thing, isn't it? Didn't notice the gum or the spotty face, baseball cap was tidy, on the proper way round and straight, sunglasses because it was bright and sunny. Not everyone has to wear a deerstalker, brogues and drive a Volvo!

I have to agree with Andy he did look very much in control of the car and nothing was wreckless but I only watched half of the video. There was a reckless overtake at the start by another car nearly hitting the oncoming car but that weren't this guys fault.

I couldn't overtake cars like that going up to Norfolk though, the roads wouldn't allow for it, plus it's fully loaded. It is one reason I chose the 2.4 Accord though cos when I had the Mondeo (90bhp) I couldn't overtake anything at all and there are alot of slow vehicles around that way, which does make it frustrating. The Accord having double the power overtakes very easily when the opportunity allows.

Ah.. A seat mk3 ibiza cupra. Drives like a stage 1 but certainly on stock setup as that fiat coupe turbo walks away in a straight line.

They are fun cars and surprisingly capable if modified correctly.

Only bit i gor scared at was the first overtake when he was following that biker.

He overtook on a blind brow, in to a braking right hander. I could hear the tyres locking up as he rapidly approached the back of that bike. Other than that.. He wasnt too bad. I have certainly seen alot worse

Plenty of overtakes past junctions as well , lots of potential for things to go very wrong , the white Porsche also made a silly overtake early on , the road isnt the place for driving like that

Personally when driving in that part of the world i prefer to bimble and enjoy the scenery

First 20 seconds in and he's already 50mph over the speed limit, overtaking on a blind summit past a pull out on the right hand side, and then locking brakes to stop running into the back of the bike while NOT getting onto his own side of the road before the solid white lines.

Once I'd seen that, he was going to have to try very hard to convince me he wasn't a c**k driving like a c**k.