Falken ZE914 vs Uniroyal Rainexpert

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Falkens fitted this morning and put them on the car when I got back. Decided to put them on the rear and keep the other 2 Uniroyals on the front. I've not driven the car yet but will see what they're like over the weekend.

Cleaning the winter wheels I took off I'm sure there is a nail in one of the tyres. I had to get these Falkens cos one of the others had a screw in it! I found a nail on the driveway earlier in the gravel so need to sweep it all up asap. There were loads in the gravel when we first moved in but I thought I had picked them all up :(

• 4 weeks later...

Got Falken ZE914 fitted to my Swift.  (215 45 17).. Best tyres I have had for grip in wet and dry.... Slightly noisy but not too bad.  Previously had Pirelli P Zero Nero (awful) Then Kumho KU39's...  Great tyres but wear quickly

• 1 year later...

I never really got to try the Falkens on the Civic properly so don't have much experience of them but I need to replace 2 tyres on the Accord now. One is going down slowly, I think there is a screw in it but they're near the limit anyway and came with the car when I bought it.

I can get the ZE914 225/45/17 XL for £68 fitted at BB but I'm still considering the Rainexpert (or sport), as they're awesome in the wet. The only downside is they wear very quickly but they can't be as bad as the Vred's I had fitted on the front!

I am swaying towards the Falkens, the main reason being is when the fronts need replacing I'll get the same tyre and I really don't like asymmetrical tread patterns, they tramline too much for my liking. The new Uniroyals use this pattern but the Falken is a symmetrical.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Costco yesterday so had a look at the tyres and I saw some Michelin PS3 for about £86 all in, so £18 more than the Falkens. I have read so many good things about these so I'm tempted to try them instead but I'm wondering if they're overkill on an Accord tourer. The PS4 are £97 each all in.

That's a great price, is that fully fitted? I've been using PS3s on the Lexus for a few years and it's a great tyre. I assume the PS4 is even better but I'd highly recommend the PS3.

I think the Super Sport would be overkill on cars like these, but not the PS3.

I emailed them and they said the PS3 is £104 and they don't stock it! I swear I saw it in the store yesterday, well the price tag was there anyway but I didn't actually check the name of the tyres underneath it.

BB have the Falken in stock and the reviews are very good. I need to get them before we go away, one has a nail in it.

Possibly but I always look at the price with vat. I didn't have time to go back there and chances are they've removed the label I saw now. Went down to WIM and got the Falkens fitted, plus they rebalanced the fronts.

Annoyingly the nail hadn't gone all the way through the tyre so they might have lasted until October.

Will see how I get on with them but they should be fine. I might consider the PS3/4 for the MX5 though.

• 3 months later...

The sidewall on the Uniroyal is much softer than the Falken. That can lead to the Falken being more sensitive to tramlining but the turn in and steering feel on the Falken is much better. Having driven cars with a pair of Falken and Uniroyals on the Uniroyals squirms a lot more and are less predictable. IMO

I've only got the Falkens on the rear but they seem pretty good, I'll definitely be replacing the crappy Vreds on the front with them next year once they go back on, the car is currently on it's winter tyres.

• 4 months later...

Finally replaced the Vreds yesterday for the Falken 914. I put the summer wheels back on the car on Sunday and remembered just how bad they are. There was no way I could drive to Norfolk on them.

Despite the Vreds having perfect wear I was constantly adjusting the steering wheel to keep the car straight. It was like the wishbone bushes were shot! I think the missus described it well, I asked how the new tyres felt and she said they're much better, the old ones felt like they were skating across the road.

The Vreds were a grippy tyre but the feedback was terrible and it's really opened my eyes to how much difference a tyre can make to the handling of a car. I've felt the difference in the past before but never to this extreme. Instead of having 2 hands on the wheel to constantly correct it (which is also tiring) I could hold it with 1 and not worry about the car suddenly lurching to one side.