Geometry needs checking - new car (few weeks old)

Arthur Cheung

Hello, new to the forum!  :) 

I received my new FR Edition Ibiza on 3-4 weeks ago and I noticed that the steering leans to the left ever so slightly - probably about 5 to 10 degrees. I checked the tyres and they were all even. 

I booked the dealership 2 weeks ago to check the alignment and they admitted the alignment was off. So upon picking up the car, they said they rectified the issue and gave me a before and current measurement print out of my car's alignment - found on this link: http://imgur.com/bTd6wli 

As you can see, both casters and the right rear camber is still in the red. 

However, after driving it down the road, the steering wheel alignment was still off. I have raised this issue with SEAT and they have said that the car was done to the manufacturers specification and thus they don't see why it is still misaligned. The case has since been raised with SEAT UK. 

Could an admin please advise what to do? My gut feeling is to bring it down to you guys and get it all rectified as I feel the car is not as safe as it should when the steering is misaligned. 

I read a thread that Tony is around Milton Keynes? I was wondering if I could get it looked at and rectified on Saturday?

Thanks and Regards,

Arthur.

Welcome to WIM :)

I don't know what is adjustable on your car but looking at the report they could've done a better job. Did they brace the steering wheel and get you to check the position?

Tony or WIM isn't based in MK anymore. I've not heard of that place before and I would try to find some reviews before using them.

Hello Rich, 

Thanks for replying so promptly. 

I have no idea what they did because the process was, I dropped the car in the morning at the dealership, they took it to the alignment place and bring it back. When it's finished, I go and collect the car. 

I see. I only booked JPS in MK because it was one of the closest places in MK recommended by http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/.

I would be willing to travel a bit to get it to a place where you recommend. I'm aware WIM is based in Chesham and that's around 40 miles from MK so I don't mind travelling for that peace of mind and confidence I will be in good hands. 

Rich, do you think it's best to go to WIM in Chesham or any other wheel alignment garage you recommend near MK? 

Thanks and Regards,

Arthur.

Hello and welcome to wim.

The reason the castor angles are to low is because they didn't add ballast in the boot of the car? Seat's datum requires the suspension to be pre-loaded. They offer a target body height and your meant to add weight until that height is reached, had they have done that the OSR camber would be fine as would the castor positions..... But if they failed to observe the set-up then i really question the adjustments!

I haven't heard of JPS which in truth is a good thing, meaning i haven't heard of any complaints or needed to deal with them for customers.

Sadly no...... I'm getting ready to go on a cruise for my 50th birthday but i have just spoken to Joe at the centre to ensure they are aware of the problem in advance of you having to explain..... So your point of direct contact will be Joe.

The only reason i spoke to Joe was so you didn't have to feel out of your depth trying to explain events...... Bring the other geometry report albeit somewhat redundant......

Thanks for the good wishes..... Sadly my wife died a few years back and that kind of makes you realize you only get one chance at this life lark.... So live it!

And this is why WIM is so popular Arthur, the level of care their customers receive is hard to find elsewhere. You will be in good hands :)

Tony, is it worth making a list of the cars that need ballast added to, just so people can reference to it?

Tony:

Yes, I do think you explaining it would be much better so they know what exactly is the problem. Really appreciate it. 

I'm so sorry about your wife - but yes, you are right. Got to live life to the fullest.

Rich:

I totally agree. Just speaking to you guys have already given me peace of mind that my misaligned steering wheel and whatever alignment problem will be rectified when I leave WIM tomorrow  :D

That's ok.... This geometry lark is a hard topic so if you can simply walk in and the guys know exactly what the target is then you can relax. The guys will know in 10min what the problem is or is not?...... Point to note is not every Hunter machine is the same regarding data acquisition. Our machine measures and zero's buckled/ damaged wheels, Acquires the wheel size and set's the ramps horizon in the event it's gone off-line between certification.  

Regarding ballast well i'll try not to over complicate things but on the ramp the car is in a static relaxed state, on the road this will not be the case since the suspensions transitions are very fluid and dynamic. So since we have a static condition then by adding ballast the suspension and surrounding bushings can assume a dynamic pose. The target datum is designed to be a mean optimum ( not the law ) but the best suggestion to cover all. 

In your case the lack or loading/ ballast at the rear makes the toe correction a blind target because the ballast would have migrated to "true" toe position and allow "true" correction.

Problem we have and this is how it goes very wrong is the front wheels don't know where forward is? Reads a bit odd but they need a point of reference and that reference is the thrust angle or let's say the rear centre line which is generated by the toe position which has been incorrectly measured in your case.

Penny kind of drops when you think about it.........

Hi Tony, 

Just came back from Chesham. I was served by Peter this afternoon. 

Service was great and I was able to jump into the car whilst it was on the hunter machine so I can adjust the wheel however I want it. He says based on the figures (please see link: http://imgur.com/Uus1fW8) the steering wheel shouldn't be misaligned. He did adjust the front toe for me. On the drive home, the car did and steering wheel alignment felt better, however, it wasn't as straight as when I put the steering wheel on the hunter machine. Not sure why... I'm not too sure what else I can do to make the steering wheel centred when the car is going straight.

Peter did say if the steering wheel is still misaligned, he reckons it might be down to the wheels? Do you think that is something I could raise with SEAT as they say another Ibiza, same variant is experiencing the same issue as I am.

Thanks.

Might have been a good idea to take it back and have it readjusted - I had the same issue with one of our cars (not sure Tony if you remember) but it was fine on the ramp but then off at an angle once on the road.

Just turned around and took it back and Tony sorted it, was perfect afterwards :)

Might have been a good idea to take it back and have it readjusted - I had the same issue with one of our cars (not sure Tony if you remember) but it was fine on the ramp but then off at an angle once on the road.

Just turned around and took it back and Tony sorted it, was perfect afterwards :)

Shall I just call WIM again and tell them that it doesn't feel right on the road? I'm worried I will be charged again and then when I leave it'll just be the same story.

Update: 

I just called WIM and they said if I was on the ramp setting the steering wheel. The next step forward was to change the driver's side wheels front and back to the passenger's side front and back, and see how they feel. Failing that, change the fronts to the rears and vice versa. 

The person I spoke to says I can do that at any garage...